Oculus Rift over 100k DevKits sold -is ISI going to support with rf2 integration ??

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Adrianstealth, Jan 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Saabjock

Saabjock Registered

It's all in the name.
    Palmer Luckey....one lucky dude.
    He'll never have to 'drive a stroke again'.
    Wish I had stock in that club.

2. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

iracing reporting on twitter re. "HD rift" so I take it they have the use of the new DK2 or crystal cove or maybe just been allowed to borrow it for development to make compatible with iracing on release?

[​IMG]

I didn't think oculus was releasing any untill shipping in July, strange

3. Woodee

Woodee Registered

After watching this, I have visions of using it to be a part of the pitcrew changing a tyre :D

4. Adrian

Adrian Registered

It seems they've sent dk2s out to a number of more professional developers this time. There's a few videos on YouTube of people with them already. The rest of us have to wait till July :-D

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

5. PaulG

PaulG Registered

It's not actually DK2, but it's 1080p and has camera tracking. Kind of a hybrid. David Tucker confirmed this on the iracing forums and this is the same type of kit that the "No Man's Sky" developers received the other week.

In other big news, Oculus has released their awaited SDK 0.3.1 preview.

Interestingly, Carmack has included his Timewarp code into it. If you follow his Twitter account, you know it's something he's been experimenting with for quite a while. It's basically a way to try and take interpolation and make it so it doesn't suck and add a bunch of lag. Seems like vodoo, but then again, these are the types of things Carmack is best at. Solving the seeming impossible.

6. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

not sure if this is reliable info, but it does pretty much fit into what I'd already guessed so I agree with it & I'll post it anyway:

I have been debating whether or not to post this. I've decided to do it. Since I am under a NDA, I want to be careful about keeping my identity secret. This will be my only post using this account.
    Since the Facebook acquisition, a new and vastly improved CV1 is being planned. With all the resources we have now, the team is planning to custom-make some of the key components. The screen will be one of these components. The main goal with these new screens is to decrease the space between pixels. There are other things being considered, but none have been set in stone.
    Unfortunately, designing and manufacturing these parts will take some time. As a result, CV1's release date has been pushed back to late Q1 of 2015, although it may end up being Q2 if any unforeseen complications pop up (and they always do, so keep that in mind.)
    There is talk of releasing a lower-spec consumer version (still better than DK2) by Q4 of 2014, and then releasing the improved version with custom-parts later. If this ends up happening, the improved version will simply be CV2 and will be released in late 2015. This has not been decided yet and is still being debated internally.
    To end this on a good note, having tried many of the prototypes we have internally, you guys haven't seen anything yet!

7. 8igby

8igby Registered

Hey guys!

I have a Rift, and is looking for racing games to play it. Quick question: does rFactor support the Rift natively? If not, are they planning one, and is there a servicable third party workaround?

8. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

9. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

oculus's website changed shipping new orders in August (from shipping in July)

obviously previous orders shipping start in July (if no delays etc)

10. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

How did you find this out? I pre-ordered mine the day pre-orders started.

11. Adrian

Adrian Registered

It changed about a week ago, has been mentioned in a few places, the fact they waited till now (10k-20k kits sold I think) is good as it must mean production is going well.

I'm a bit sad that Isi missed such a great chance to get heaps of publicity as now both ac and iracing have been shown at major conventions by oculus just because they were first. Even though both of them don't feel and look as goods as rf2 does in the rift.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

12. MOD43

MOD43 Registered

Oculus Rift Technology Was Stolen, Zenimax Lawsuit Claims
    Things could get ugly before the deal closes.
    by Dustin J. Seibert
    May 1, 2014

There's a new fight in the rights over the technology in the upcoming Oculus Rift virtual reality headset.

Wall Street Journal reported that Maryland-based media company ZeniMax Media Inc. has claimed that the intellectual property that runs Oculus Rift was stolen by id Software co-founder and Doom creator John Carmack. According to the WSJ, ZeniMax's lawyers have issued two letters apiece to Rift developer Oculus VR and Facebook, which recently acquired Oculus VR for $2 billion in a deal that has yet to close.

FPS pioneer John Carmack left id Software - a subsidiary of ZeniMax - to become Oculus VR's new chief technology officer; ZeniMax accused Carmack of taking intellectual property developed under the auspices of id Software to help propel Oculus VR into a buzzy piece of tech.

In a comment issued to IGN, a ZeniMax spokesperson said:

"ZeniMax confirms it recently sent formal notice of its legal rights to Oculus concerning its ownership of key technology used by Oculus to develop and market the Oculus Rift. ZeniMax’s technology may not be licensed, transferred or sold without ZeniMax Media’s approval. ZeniMax’s intellectual property rights arise by reason of extensive VR research and development works done over a number of years by John Carmack while a ZeniMax employee, and others. ZeniMax provided necessary VR technology and other valuable assistance to Palmer Luckey and other Oculus employees in 2012 and 2013 to make the Oculus Rift a viable VR product, superior to other VR market offerings.

The proprietary technology and know-how Mr. Carmack developed when he was a ZeniMax employee, and used by Oculus, are owned by ZeniMax. Well before the Facebook transaction was announced, Mr. Luckey acknowledged in writing ZeniMax’s legal ownership of this intellectual property. It was further agreed that Mr. Luckey would not disclose this technology to third persons without approval. Oculus has used and exploited ZeniMax’s technology and intellectual property without authorization, compensation or credit to ZeniMax. ZeniMax and Oculus previously attempted to reach an agreement whereby ZeniMax would be compensated for its intellectual property through equity ownership in Oculus but were unable to reach a satisfactory resolution. ZeniMax believes it is necessary to address these matters now and will take the necessary action to protect its interests."

Oculus, for its part, denies ZeniMax's claims. "It's unfortunate, but when there's this type of transaction, people come out of the woodwork with ridiculous and absurd claims. We intend to vigorously defend Oculus and its investors to the fullest extent," an Oculus spokesperson told IGN.

Carmack, the the mind behind id Software's Doom and Wolfenstein franchises, contacted Oculus VR founder Palmer Luckey in 2012, leading to a relationship that served as the genesis for Oculus Rift, according to the WSJ. Later that same year, ZeniMax and Oculus started ultimately unsuccessful negotiations for ZeniMax to get compensation or equity stake for the Oculus IP.

Until now, the Facebook acquisition of Oculus Rift, which generated a somewhat milder controversy, was the last big news for the headset, whose release date is still unannounced.

http://au.ign.com/articles/2014/05/01/oculus-rift-technology-was-stolen-company-claims

Interesting

13. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

id/zenimax should have held onto Carmach, think it'll be a difficult one in the courts, "stolen" they lost the brains behind the project to a (although pretty much unknown at the time) competitor, it happens all the time

either way I'm sure it will not delay anything

14. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Legal ownership is interesting. If you do something while working for a company, even in your own time, there are certain things owned by the company you work for.

As an example, I worked for a company that used racing photos in marketing, attending a racing event and shot photos in my own time. In some situations, the company I worked for has dual ownership of my photos. I don't know how it relates to code, but ISI had to rewrite most of the same code between working for EA and themselves, because EA owns what was produced while operating on their behalf. Not quite the same situation, but if he did work for them that he then took directly to his own use? Oops.

15. Adrian

Adrian Registered

Does ISI claim ownership of any (mods) that its staff might make in their free time? (I know these things usually get released as ISI content anyway but hypothetically...) :)

16. Murtaya

Murtaya Registered

I'm not sure ISI staff get free time, if they do I must as a paying customer heartily object to such folly. Free time? No sir.

17. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

I worked for other peoples companies in sales, I moved a few times
    (after a few years of service) and pretty much took my whole customer base with me, some customers of which I gained through my own efforts but during the time of my employment with the prior employer,
    I use to get it all -letters and phone calls etc court action,

I simply remained totally polite and willing to go to court, when I finally started my own business it was a s**t storm
    (got fed up with working for someone else surprise surprise)
    even though I had a completely clear conscience, I was fully prepared to go to court and if need be surrender profits
    ( according to the law at the time ) which were in 6 figure amounts, none of it ever happened.

when a company has it's nose a tad out of joint it will threaten legal action but when it really comes down to it they realise they'd just be wasting their time

if Carmach signed some clearly worded contractual agreements for id that specify actual software or hardware that he was a part of developing then he & oculus could have a serious problem, but I doubt (& hope) this is not the case

p.s I know my own experience is slightly different and in a different sector, but if I was Carmach I really wouldn't be worried, assuming he didn't sign a concise & specific contractual agreement

Last edited by a moderator: May 2, 2014
  18. RichFreed

RichFreed Registered

How close is rF2 to getting out of the box Oculus Rift support testing at least?

19. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

re. official support

I think it would take someone at ISI to be an enthusiast on VR & have a rift -I think ISI have a devkit 1 I'm not sure if they've ordered a DK 2, I'd be surprised if they haven't, then this dev would want to spend sometime optimising etc for rf2 integrated support

I've read that AC's integrated support is quite poor ( I assume they did a quick job which is really not good),
    Iracing has a staff member that seems very enthusiastic and seems to improves Iracing each build (to work with the rift) he reports regularly on the Iracing oculus forum listening to feedback etc, he might be working on it in his free time I don't know.

if none of the ISI devs are really into VR (or have no time) then maybe it's best to be left to someone like Vittorio
    ( a part of our community & has his own thread offering the plugin ) he seems to have done a decent job too

here a suggestion - for situations like this why dosn't ISI work a bit more closely with modders like Vittorio to combine his work into the sim ( so it's not a plugin that a user has to find / fiddle with etc ) this would give users integrated support.

.......another situation is the custom UI that's been a success ISI should make this the default & included in the sim

these modders would obviously have to give permission and have their names mentioned in the rf2 credits

it's no shame to a dev team to do this, in fact I think it would show an open-ness & be making the community more of a team

I know owners of rf2 that have absolutely no intention of visiting this forum or downloading plugins

20. vittorio

vittorio Registered

It's a good idea but IMO this doesn't work. I would be happy to give ISI the plugin source, but to be honest it would be of less/no use to them because:
    * It does "only" headtracking via plugin
    * The more advanced code in the plugin (improvements to latency, neck model) got now implemented by the Oculus developers in the new SDK preview version too. So, the next plugin version will be using the new SDK and most of the code will be removed.
    * For a native implementation ISI needs to develop a whole concept for VR: Core changes to their user interface to support (still) low res but very high FOV with head tracking support (not only while racing). For core changes like this they can't use a headtracking plugin (they are too restricted). They need to implement the whole rendering for VR which now does Tridef for us (in >= quality) too.
    * Last but not least if ISI releases Oculus support, they have to support it somehow too (quality control, support via email ..). I remember the Rift code in iracing broke the whole Windows XP code on first release.

Reading Tim's posts like http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php/19692-Rain-experiment?p=271802&viewfull=1#post271802, ISI now concentrates on finishing existing but incomplete features. ISI probably already have developed some Rift support, but I guess it's not ready yet to release.

On the other side, IIRC I've read somewhere from an iracing dev that DK2 support will probably get into their October release. If that is true and iracing users get their DK2 in July without support till October, ISI could attract a lot of iracing users if they release DK2 support earlier.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.