Oculus Rift Consumer unit 1 on schedule ( Announced on Twitter )

Discussion in 'Hardware Building/Buying/Usage Advice' started by Adrianstealth, Dec 22, 2015.

1. Eddy

Eddy Registered

Tho i'm very exited about all i hear about VR. (tried dk1 once and was blown away) i will wait for ISI bcause thats the only sim i use and if they not going to support it there will be no use for me to buy one (be it Vive or Occulus). So thanks Tim for your statement on this.

2. Minibull

Minibull Member

I think there's many more interested that are just lurking and waiting. I will be right into it when ISI support it, but I'm in no rush to leap right in. Gotta be done to a decent level, so I don't care about meeting a cv1 release date.

I'd be using it in rF2 and my flight sims, and any space sims that support it. That's probably the extent of my use of it. But to add the next level of immersion to them, I can't think of anything better.

3. Axe

Axe Registered

I think we can expect also valuable contribution in decreasing latency/input lag. On both hardware side (OLED displays) and software side (AMD LiquidVR and nVidia Game Works VR SDKs). Maybe these technologies will be implemented also to using of classic desktop monitors but they will be available with VR devices first.

4. Stephen Bacchus

Stephen Bacchus Registered

Doesn't the consumer release of Oculus Rift and the associated SDK, runtime only support DX11 and up? Unless ISI have a surprise in store I wouldn't get your hopes up. Don't know about HTC Vive.

5. Nazirull Safry Paijo

Nazirull Safry Paijo Registered

Yup...thats wut i mean by 'the guys'. They did a great job :)

6. Depco

Depco Registered

I'll still be getting the rift whether ISI supports it or not. The fact is is that it's going to be great for many games. But I was really looking forward to using it in racing games.

After hearing about the financial problems HTC is having I am seriously questioning whether or not they will get the Vive out in a reasonable amount of time.

7. Axe

Axe Registered

I remember ISI stated (appologize if I am wrong) that upgrading to higher directx is only a matter of costs vs benefits. As far as I know (as a layman, from popular web sites) directx12 (or vulkan) is a huge step forward, best improvement between older and newer version for many years, allowing far better hardware exploitation.
    So I hope the balance between costs vs benefits is finally shifted to benefits and ISI will find reasonable to invest their resources.

8. PaulG

PaulG Registered

Good point. I think I've completely forgotten that rf2 is only DX 9. I knew iracing was dependent on getting their DX11 update ready in time, but forgot rf2 had the same issue.

Valve (who's supplying all the software) has stated previously that DX9 was supported with OpenVR. Of course, HTC having the financial issues they are, who knows whether it ever even sees the light of day. And if it does, it certainly isn't going to be cheap. HTC can't afford to sell at cost. They need to sell a product that's making real money.

On a side note, after reading Palmer's latest tweets, I think it's best to brace for the price being at least 499.99 for the Rift. You can obviously add at least a couple hundred to the Vive price tag.

9. Depco

Depco Registered

Well, they already readied us for the machine that was going to be required to run the rift with buttery smooth performance. That gave every early adopter the time they needed to get their machine prepared.

They may be still waiting on the price announcement so they dont undercut their manufacturing costs. I suspect they dont know specifically how much they can get their production costs down to yet. I am certainly hoping the cost is less than $500.00 I am really hoping for less than $400, but that may be wishful thinking. I also imagine that they are getting different hardware as better/less expensive products become available. This likely means that a CV2 will be right around the corner. Kind of like how the DK2 came out less than a year after DK1 was launched.

A check of the Rift's Wiki page shows that Oculus is already working on the successor to CV1. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oculus_Rift

10. Thrindil

Thrindil Registered

I've been thinking the exact same thing.

If we are correct on this, we can expect DX11 for rFactor 2, right?

Right guys..?

RIGHT?!

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 27, 2015
  11. Minibull

Minibull Member

Rev up those hype machines XD

12. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

[​IMG]

13. Minibull

Minibull Member

Gotta be some VTEC kicking in there...

14. gkz

gkz Registered

When i am correct isi said they will only switch to dx12 one times ? If there is no chance to get cv1 with dx9 running would mean no cv support for rf2. I don t know what isi has in plans but after isi said they will look at cv1 u better have a dx option. I think this will not happen and rf 2 is without vr support. i hope im wrong.........

15. WhiteShadow

WhiteShadow Registered

COMMUNITY Q&A

Graphics/Performance
    Q: Any internal talks about DX11 in the future ? Is the move to DX11 much to complex?
    A: It’s not about complexity, it is about benefit. There isn’t enough benefit to using it right now, though that does not mean there won’t be benefit going forward (though that might be with DX12, DX13, etc).

16. gkz

gkz Registered

Yeah thats a statment which can be in both ways. Like the dev want to be. But i don t think that we will see dx 12 in the near future 6-12 month. So is cv1 enought benefit to bring dx11 ?

17. Thrindil

Thrindil Registered

Well, that's the question..
    I won't be surprised if ISI takes their time and only provides oculus support after a year or more, but I'm pretty sure they need to upgrade the Dx version to make that happen.

Vroom vroom! *revs hype engine some more*

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 28, 2015
  18. WhiteShadow

WhiteShadow Registered

"Gjon Camaj Interview 11-07-15

A FUTURE PASSAGE ON THE LAST DRIVERS DIRECTX 11 & 12 IS IT POSSIBLE ?

Yes it is possible. But we’ve said that all along

THE TECHNOLOGY OF THE VIRTUAL HELMETS (SAME OCULUS) SEEMS TO BE THE NEXT TARGET OF ALL THE AUTOMOBILES SIMULATIONS OF TOMORROW. HAVE YOU A PROJECT OF DEVELOPMENT TOO FOR RFACTOR 2 ? ARE YOU INTERESTED IN THIS TECHNOLOGY ? WHY ?

As with most developers, we took a good look at this kind of technology. To do a proper implementation will take a bit a time and that task hasn’t yet reached to top of list yet."

There is no point making something halfheartedly. Virtual reality also need multi GPU support and some of us like me has been waiting this to happen a long time.
    VR suport is a huge task: https://developer.nvidia.com/virtual-reality-development

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 29, 2015
  19. gkz

gkz Registered

And what does this mean ? sorry i don t get it.

20. Andrew_WOT

Andrew_WOT Registered

Unsure if that means we all would have to wait for graphics engine update before enjoying benefits of VR.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 29, 2015