Obscure road section request/pointers for Physics Testing

Discussion in 'Track Modding' started by PLAYLIFE, Mar 26, 2012.

1. PLAYLIFE

PLAYLIFE Registered

Howdy all. I don't have the know-how in creating tracks so am asking for a few pointers.

Firstly, I'm interested in making a 'test track' - simply some bits of tarmac of various geometries to do some physics testing. Not interested in scenery, gravel traps etc. A nice big skid pan, long runway and a few other things are all I'm interested in.

Particularly, I would like a long straight strip of tarmac that gradually spirals so you can drive upside down (provided the car is capable of it). I'm not sure if this is possible in rFactor though? If not, what is the maximum banking angle? The higher the better.

Not sure if something already exists, if so, would appreciate to be pointed in the direction.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 26, 2012
  2. blakboks

blakboks Registered

I haven't tried anything in rF2 yet, but in rF1, I tried creating a U-shaped road and driving it with the BMW F1. It didn't work. Car kept bottoming out, losing momentum.

I think that's going to be the problem with any upside-down track--either it will be nearly impossible to actually control the car going through it, or else you run into 'something' that will slow you down dramatically.

'course, being in the U.S., everything I drive is upside down to you Aussies, isn't it? :D

3. PLAYLIFE

PLAYLIFE Registered

lol definitely

Thanks for the feedback. It'd be interesting to know why it fails when the road is upside down. Perhaps it's not the physics model but the interaction with the road or a combination of both.

If you could make an infinite width spiral of pure tarmac than perhaps that would alleviate any issues regarding momentum and hitting things. Not sure if the road can be made smoothly enough at those angles for that to occur.

4. freew67

freew67 Registered

Its possible, but has to be the right car. I did manage to get a loop to work in rf1, but the car had no bumpers and almost 0 overhang.

5. PLAYLIFE

PLAYLIFE Registered

Thanks freew67. At least it seems to be possible to produce an upside down road so that's a start.

What I envisaged was an extremely long tunnel - basically two opposing U-shaped roads stuck together so it in essence is a cylinder which will allow you to drive upside down.

If the cylinder is big enough then that should alleviate the problem of the car touching the road and causing damage (hopefully).

Essentially, this 'test track' will allow various aspects of the physics to be tested and fine tuned.