NVidia's adaptive vsync not working in borderless mode

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by Havner, Sep 26, 2020.

1. Havner

Havner Registered

As in the title.

The adaptive vsync, that causes the vsync to be turned off if FPS drops below refresh rate (60fps in my case) does not work in RFactor 2 when it's set to borderless. It behaves like normal vsync. If FPS drops below 60fps, vsync forces it to half refresh rate, which is 30 fps. This works properly in exclusive fullscreen mode. This works properly in every other game (also in borderless mode). Not in rfactor 2. Annoying as hell.

Has anybody experienced it as well? Does anybody have some solutions?

Please, don't give me hints on how to improve my FPS or why I should be playing with fast vsync, etc. This is not what I'm looking for here. I want a regular refresh rate vsync and my FPS is generally fine, my GPU is at 60% most of the time (with CPU well below 40%). But at night (which for a reason unknown to me is a resource hog in RF2) FPS sometimes drops to 55 (GPU bottleneck). And I'm fine with it. As long as it's 55, not 30 (which is what happens in borderless). But I'd also like to play in borderless as I overlay some thing on top (like SimHub).

Last edited: Sep 26, 2020
  2. Lazza

Lazza Registered

I'm going to ask a slightly annoying question, though hopefully not as annoying as those you've foreshadowed - are you sure other games work properly in borderless windowed mode with adaptive vsync?

3. Havner

Havner Registered

Yes, they are. From the sim racing backyard. ACC. Though it doesn't have a borderless in option setting it can be forced into borderless by hitting F11 twice (this "workaround" makes it work with SimHub overlays). 60fps (and not more) when there is a surplus of power. E.g. 50 fps when going below. Not ever hitting 30 fps. (After forcing ACC into borderless it requires that vsync be turned on in game options as well for any vsync to get triggered, but it works in adaptive afterwards, the FPS limiter is disabled).
    DCS as well.

If there are some other things at work that make it seem like they work in adaptive but I'm actually wrong please enlighten me. I just want to get it to work. And I never ever experienced such problems in any other game but RF2.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2020
  4. Havner

Havner Registered

Hmm, I decided to test ACC a little bit more and it's even more strange. It always behaves like adaptive. Regardless what I set in nvidia control panel / nvidia inspector. I can set a regular vsync (with gsync disabled) and ACC works like it was in adaptive anyway (60 fps max, but never halves it if it goes below, it's 40-55). This is exactly what I want from RF2. I'll give more extensive tests to DCS tomorrow.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2020
  5. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Registered

Isn't it because of triple buffering? I thought that was what made vsync not drop to half refresh.

Not a solution but have you thought of using Simhub on a second screen? That way you could use fullscreen and normal vsync which acts like triple buffered vsyn in rF2 and doesn't drop to half refresh rate.

6. Havner

Havner Registered

I just tried it, didn't work for me. I forced triple buffering in nvidia's profile settings, but it still halves the refresh rate in borderless. Either it didn't force it, or it doesn't work. Thanks for the suggestion though.

I'm using triples already. And I need SimHub on my main monitor, as I often use car dashes with it instead of the RF2 builtin which are very poor. I also have few widgets I made myself I'd like to have in my eyesight all the time. Not having to look at forth monitor above (which I don't have anyway).

7. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Registered

Cant you do something like this , (not my video but i have a similar setup) and you could run your custom dashes on these and all the dashes also . This way you could run fullscreen and get proper triple buffering . They wont be in eye sight line but more realistic :)

8. Havner

Havner Registered

I can, I even do sometimes (not with a permanent dash, but my phone + SimHub), but this doesn't solve everything. I also use a custom relative widget with lots of information that's completely unavailable in game (tyres and pit stops of opponents, lapped colors like in iracing). I sometimes even overlay my browser on one of the side monitors. This won't solve that :-/
    Probably a dash + 4th monitor could solve most, but I don't have either at this point :-(

I know there are workarounds. But I'd like RF2 to behave like every other game in regards to vsync. So I don't have to think about workarounds for a simple issue.

2ndLastJedi likes this.
  9. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Registered

Yeah fair enough to mate , i get ya . Im sorry i dont understand what it is with rF2 and sync . Have you just tried the ingame sync options ?

Havner likes this.
  10. Havner

Havner Registered

Of course. I appreciate that someone even bothers to read that and tries to help :)

I have. "Video" seems to be the default one, that works the same way as forced from nvidia's profile. Works fine, but also halves refresh in borderless. From the other two (GPU and software) one didn't work at all (no vsync whatsoever, unlimited FPS). The other cut the FPS to some erratic value lower that 60. (like 45-55, can't remember exactly now).

2ndLastJedi likes this.