NVIDIA users - a new Antialiasing setting to try.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ForthRight, May 16, 2014.

1. ForthRight

ForthRight Registered

I've edited the thread title as I think this is worth trying for anyone who is using a more modern Nvidia card, rather than just those who were using 4x SparseGrid. If you are using 2xSparseGrid or one of the normal AA settings (4xMultisampling for example) this might cause a slight drop in framerates (or it might not), BUT I still think it's worth trying simply due to the possible increase in image quality provided.

Original post below...

I've been messing around with AA settings trying to get the best image quality whilst keeping a solid framerate and I've found a setting which gave me the image quality of 4x SparseGrid (or very close to it) but with a 10-15fps improvement over using 4xSGSS. I know some people think SparseGrid is unnecessary now but I've continued to use it with rFactor 2 (until now that is).

Obviously this setting might not work for others but it's worth trying.

First of all you'll have to disable the heat haze effect as it is incompatible with this AntiAliasing setting (the heat haze graphic glitches), so change this PLR file line to 0 (default is 30),

Heat FX Fade Speed="0.00000"

Then go into Nvidia Inspector, disable your SparseGrid (Transparency Supersampling=Off), set Antialiasing Mode to 'Override any application setting' and change the Antialiasing Setting to '8xS [Combined: 1x2 SS + 4x MS]'.

Obviously your rFactor 2 Config AA setting should be 'None'.

There might be other bugs with this AA setting that I haven't found yet but so far the game looks great and runs very nicely.

That is all.

Last edited by a moderator: May 20, 2014
  2. jimcarrel

jimcarrel Registered

worked for me, (thanks). Totally forgot to check fps before changing from SparseGrid, but everything is still is still crisp and clear, including chainlink fences at Mid Ohio. Most noticeable was the steering input and response. All good for me.

3. Paul_Ceglia

Paul_Ceglia Registered

I wish we could mark favorite threads for ourselves, this would one of them thanks for sharing, I haven't tried this but when I get home I will. Thank you

4. Coanda

Coanda Registered

I tried your new setup on my 780ti over my previous 4xSG. Very nice. 20-30fps increase on Silverstone for very similar AA quality. There maybe a very slight increase in jaggies however I'll take the extra frames.

Cheers for sharing.

5. Barf Factor

Barf Factor Registered

I'm trying your settings now, it does look very good. I do get some distant shimmery/jagged shadows on the road but the framerate is significantly better (about 30% improvement).

6. Magus

Magus Registered

Used these settings with Triples/multi/noHDR and getting much better results both fps and looking. Before I was just using in-game AA @ Level 4. Thanks!

7. Paul_Ceglia

Paul_Ceglia Registered

I don't have anything that says 1x2ss 4x ms in the AA mode pull down. I m not sure what too try?

8. MJP

MJP Registered

That's because it's in the AA setting pull down.

Antialiasing Mode - 'Override any application setting'
    Antialiasing Setting -'8xS [Combined: 1x2 SS + 4x MS]'

9. Thepharcyde

Thepharcyde Registered

Since being able to clamp the negative LOD bias with a Nvidia Tweak, that and RF2 660 the gfx are superb. Zero jaggies using RF2 own AA and HDR.

10. wpthayer

wpthayer Registered

Good Tip for me...... Looks good and better FPS Thanks for posting ;)

11. Paul_Ceglia

Paul_Ceglia Registered

sorry I meant setting, I have a **** ton of options none of which state the above, should i juist use this

[​IMG]

12. ForthRight

ForthRight Registered

I'm not sure why you don't have the setting. Maybe on older cards you wouldn't get that option (possibly?) but you have a 780 so it should be there.

The option in your picture is not the same and probably won't bring any benefit.

I've attached a picture of the setting,

View attachment 12772

13. Paul_Ceglia

Paul_Ceglia Registered

Odd it is, thank you for your input. I do not have that option. If I make a profile in the Nvidia control panel does it affect what is set in inspector are they tied together? I have the latest driver as well are you using a different driver or does that even matter? I am noob with gpu settings, in the past I would just go with it but now it seems you can't with rf2.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2014
  14. ForthRight

ForthRight Registered

Nvidia Control Panel and Inspector are linked, so if you change a setting in one it will change the same setting in the other... at least that's how it works with the 'Global Settings', I assume it is the same for specific game profiles but I'm not certain.

I'm using the latest Beta drivers, but I doubt these AA settings have just been added - I think they've been there for a while (I just never tested them before).

I'm really not sure what to suggest to get them to appear. You could check if the AA setting is there in Global Settings page of Inspector (the page you get before selecting a specific game from the pull-down menu), other than that I'm a bit lost.

15. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

What is this Nvidia Tweak you are referring to? Clamp setting doesn't work in current driver, control panel or NVidia Inspector as far as I know.

16. ForthRight

ForthRight Registered

Someone made a DLL file which you could put into the rFactor 2 'Core' folder and it would force the Clamp setting to do something to smooth out the jagged white lines etc. This isn't really needed now as we have the 'Texture Sharpening' setting in the PLR file - I think they do the same thing.

17. Paul_Ceglia

Paul_Ceglia Registered

Ok thanks I will keep an eye on it maybe it will show up one day

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk

18. Magus

Magus Registered

ForthRight, I just want to say a BIG thank you for this as I am now able to play with URD's T5 mod as well as the Apex GT3 mod without suffering erratic drops in FPS. Really does work a treat. :)

19. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

I dont think it is that mate, depends on your OS , video card/ driver combo ..maybe ?

ie: Others used beta never had it.
    Latest beta driver as I said in other thread it screwed all my saved profiles and turned Inspector into Gibberish.

First time I have ever ever have that happen.

So blamed latest beta driver.

Tried 3 times clean install does the same ..........stuffs NVi ........ then installing back last WHQL it was still stuffed.

So I just ran a backup image back to C took 3 minutes ...forgot about new beta then ........

I am, sure there is easy fixed logic to it but I could not be bothered looking

20. ForthRight

ForthRight Registered

No problem, I'm glad it helped. :)

I'm not sure how this setting works exactly, but it definitely makes the game look a lot better than using the basic AA settings, yet it doesn't have quite the big drop in framerate that you'd get with 4x SparseGrid.