SOLVED NVIDIA SLI stuttering fix - SIMPLE!

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by ralong2, Oct 17, 2014.

1. ralong2

ralong2 Registered

After struggling with stuttering despite adequate frame rates I began a methodical evaluation of my system performance. It was clear that my stuttering was due to spikes in physics processing (control C purple bar spikes). The only change I made to completely remove the stuttering was to assign the PHYSX processing to the CPU in the NVIDIA control panel (not auto). Easy to try.
    Good luck
    Robert

2. Lazza

Lazza Registered

That makes little enough sense it might just work :p

3. ralong2

ralong2 Registered

be sure to restart computer after making changes

4. Prodigy

Prodigy Registered

RF2 doesn't even use PHYSX..

5. ralong2

ralong2 Registered

that is true. i did not say i understood why the fix worked for me. The NVIDIA control panel sets up my surround display. I have tried it several times with the same results. Changing only that assignment stops the stuttering. (overclocked 4.3 ghz i5 4670k processor, 8G RAM, overclocked 760 GTX (2G) X2. triple ASUS 24 VG24qe monitors.

have a nice day

6. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

hmmm i'm going to try this

7. 64r

64r Registered

I've always been put off SLI because of the stuttering issue, so if a few people could confirm this is the solution it would be appreciated.

A side question, what sort of fps do you get with your configuration?

8. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

I play in 3D (NVIDIA 3D Vision 2) triple screens...SLI scaling is literally almost 100% (double framerates AKA perfect SLI scaling).

In 2D mode, I get terrible negative scaling; I get about 60% of the single GPU framerate, lol.

I think - ATM - if you fully disable both reflection options, then the 2D SLI scaling gets a massive improvement. But I'm assuming most people won't want to do that.

9. rogue22

rogue22 Registered

Funny, after several tries I found this out to be true with Crossfire as well. Whats even funnier, Asseto corsa has almost the exact same problem with reflections, it kills dual GPU performance.

Set them to low in that sim and you get a massive FPS increase. However with AMD there's a problem where if you set the reflections to there lowest settings it actually reduces FPS to unplayable single digit so you have no choice but to run ultra reflections. In my case, I can disable a GPU and the sim runs perfect maxed out at the back of a full field. With Rfactor 2 if I disable a GPU the sim becomes unplayable.

Kunos also blames AMD and nvidia for the issue and claims there's nothing they can do, refuse to explain what the problem actually is and what could be done to solve it. Not even a simple "we don't know why it doesn't work." Rather just use one card or GPU, thats fine for AC but rfactor 2 it kills performance in the case of dual GPU cards.

Why do reflections cause this issue? Do ISI and Kunos use the same methods for reflections? Because they seem related.
    Perhaps we could ask a few driver modders for there help or is it more than that?

Honestly, I think the fact that since in both sims we still get playable FPS with SLI or crossfire so they just choose to not address the issue. Like a big middle finger to Dual graphic card users from all parties.

10. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Last time I did AC benchmarking I got great SLI scaling, and it was with everything maxed-out. This was probably 3-4 months ago though.

11. rockbass

rockbass Registered

Wow that worked on my 660ti even without SLI. I guess I did two things reset the NVidia 3D manager for rFactor2 and let the program run things and changed the PhysX setting to CPU and no more shutters that were making me stay away from having fun with the NSX-R. THANKS A LOT !!!