nVidia GTX670 - Distant Objects/LOD Problem

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Alan Frost, Jun 21, 2012.

1. Alan Frost

Alan Frost Registered

Hello,

Yesterday I received a new GTX670 to replace my AMD 6850.

The nVidia control panel is twice as confusing as CCC so it’s going to take a while to learn how to best set it for rF2. I’d appreciate any tips or obvious settings that should be changed to get me started.

I have gained approx 40fps with the change, and can now max the in-game settings. I’m getting quite a lot a screen tearing (especially at Monaco) so will experiment with vsync.

One thing that’s disappointing and was instantly noticeable is that I can now see objects appearing all the time, which was rare with the older card. As I drive out of the pits at Brianza all the parked car's tyres look really strange until I get within about 2-3 car lengths – then they ‘pop’ to look how they should. Then around the track advertising boards and marshalls suddenly appear, when with my 6850 they were present when the area came into view.

Does anyone have any ideas on this, and how it can be solved?

2. FONismo

FONismo Registered

Nothing to do with your card, it's something i have also noticed with the latest build with distant objects and i'm running SLI 570's. Brianza going down the straight i notice it alot and it can be distracting. Also when wet you can see the reflections being drawn in as you motor along. It's all work in progress and i'm sure once fixed will be amazing

3. Tuttle

Tuttle Technical Art Director - Env Lead

I can confirm that (ATI user) but as Fonismo said it's a WIP issue for sure...:)

It Isn't a GPU fault...

4. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Why isnt there a setting ingame where we can control this ourselves. I mean im playing GT Legends with everything maxed to the maxed, with 120ish frames per second and yet I see freaking bumpers, wipers and all this other stuff just magically appearing and disapearing on cars as they are comming closer or farther to me. I see the detail of body parts getting magically lost and simplified when the car goes far away and then as its comming closer at a certain point it just "bam" switches to a more complex and detailed model. It looks horrendous. 200 graphics options in the game and plr file settings, yet not a slider for a "how far off in the distance before your objects' graphics start getting destroyed" option. There is a level of detail slider but that doesnt do crap, I think it just increases how far you can view objects, like far upcomming turns, mountains, far away buildings, trees scenary, etc.

I read you can change this but you have to go modify the track files and/or cam files, and you have to do it for every track (possibly even every cam for every track??..). What the??... Thats like having to go edit the files of every track to designate your detail settings, shadows, etc.

5. rer8

rer8 Registered

I thought that I might use some "d" words that could be used in the discussion of graphics but I gave up after just a few minutes... which if you think about it is where we presently find ourselves... :Ddistracting, disappear, disappointing disapprove, disarming, disbelief, discernble, damper, darned, daunting, dependent, deplorable, depletion, depraved, depressing deprivation disconcerting, disconnecting, discrepancy, discriminating, dazed, deafening, debatable, deranged, derelict, disdainful, diseased, disenchanted, disengaged, disgraceful, disgruntled, disgusted, disheartening, disillusioned, debilitating, descriptive, deserted, desirable , desolation, despair, despicable,disengage,decidedly.... Keep smiling ... WIP

6. scepak

scepak Registered

This for me is one of the big spoilers in terms of realism. I'm loving the physics, graphics is getting better with almost every build, but appearing/disappearing objects in front of the driver is something that should not exist in a sim and I would consider it a bug.

For example when driving Poznan circuit there is a tyre wall that pops up at the end of the start/finish straight, lap after lap annoying the hell out of me! See here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=PpPndPP8elw#t=300s it's at 5:08 (not my vid, watch in high quality)

I know that for performance reason you can't display all objects all time, but in this case I don't think it will save a lot of resources :) It also happens on ISI tracks.

I purchased rFactor 2 Beta some 18 months ago and it's not Beta any more, but this problem exists since the beginning.

7. pay2021

pay2021 Registered

Right, its a software issue, not your GPU.
    That distants objetcs pop up its a optimization for low end PCs, to make rf2 compatible with old PCs, thing wich works at oposite with high end PCs, thats the vision of ISI, make rfactor 2 compatible with the most number of PCs, not like the competition wich aim directly even a dx 11 GPU users.