Now THIS is a great summary of OUR user experience

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Kevin Karas, Jul 6, 2021.

1. Binny

Binny Registered

Question has there been any talk of the hud being able to be moved to players choice for positioning on screen/VR, or will they just let players use simhub and not bother. I personally would like it to be in the sim something similar to iracing.

2. pilAUTO

pilAUTO Registered

The user experience, I mean user-friendly, loading times, etc ... is catastrophic in rF2.

I've been a fan (NOT fanboy, positive and constructive critism) of rF2 for 8 years, and before rF1, but I think you have to be clear-headed.

I understand from reading you that you are new to rF2.

You arrive at the right time, the user experience is still bad but has really improved, but especially after many many years with a very unsatisfactory rF2 on many subjects, rF2 has started for I would say 6 months ago to be really really good.

It's good that you're positive, but be clear about rF2's flaws, but frankly as a new user you haven't experienced the gigantic frustrations of this simulation.

@lagg :

In fact I am an offline player only, maybe I was wrong about the online aspect. I was told the netcode was excellent (iracing players).

lagg likes this.
  3. Lazza

Lazza Registered

For a long time now the HUD system has been on the list to be overhauled. I'm not sure where it sits on the list, and it's perhaps a little worrying that the UI (which itself is built on a new system, encompassing the competition system, and whose development necessitated pulling apart large parts of code tying the previous UI to the internal game code) is still awaiting a major refresh/update/overhaul to improve its user friendliness.

So: a new HUD system, and let's assume that's a flexible one, is planned.

On the other hand, the current HUD (and only the same elements, though customisable in appearance) can be customised via devmode, and a number of options are on the workshop that can cater to many needs. If you've only tried the core ones you should take the (considerable) time to try all those. You might find something that suits you better in the ~years we wait for a new HUD system.

Binny likes this.
  4. Roninho

Roninho Registered

I would love 397 list a top 10 of most mentioned user issues for Ai and a top 10 for user issues for online play. And just give their assesment on what they are going to do. Including ''sorry guys, we are not working or going to work on this topic'. Clarity would be worth a lot for me.

AlexHeuskat, Binny and turtleCZ like this.
  5. turtleCZ

turtleCZ Registered

Yes, I am new and trying to understand why I read so many complaints everywhere. It's not possible to buy the game after reading anything on the internet :D It looks like the game is really bad. I can understand some long-term fan is disappointed after years of waiting but still I don't know any other better game. I like the UI, loading times are OK, no problem here. The game really looks like it's rather for technical people which is OK to me. It's like Linux 20 years ago, it was way ahead of everything but almost nobody used it. It's almost the same today :D

But if you say it's good now, I agree. I can't say almost anything today. Still, many people want some non-sense stuff otherwise they will go to other sim. OK, good luck there.

For instance, my friend doesn't like rF2 because of setup glitches. I don't care about any glitches. Who even cares? Do I need to use it? No. It's so strange some people use it as a good point why game is bad.

6. Binny

Binny Registered

This list has anyone ever seen 1 ? or is it something spoken about but no 1 really knows for sure ?

7. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Devs (speaking of S397 members generally) will sometimes speak of something being added to a 'list', whether it's a bug or some feature/fix to be looked at. Over the years various roadmaps have mentioned various aspects, and that's analogous to a list.

They're also devs, selling a game, and they're obviously not done with it. So there's some sort of list of priorities.

If not seeing a list is a problem for you, I think you'd be missing the point.

8. Kevin Karas

Kevin Karas Registered

Well, thats cool! Seeing your forum sign up time I assume you are new to the rF2 world. Welcome!

I wonder what do you define as user experience? Do you own any other sim racing products to compare to?

9. avenger82

avenger82 Registered

The response to each of the top 10 issues , if any at all , would be "we are looking into it"/ "it's on TODO list" as it was for last few years:)

Filip likes this.
  10. avenger82

avenger82 Registered

I think Michael Borda is the only one. But I may be wrong.

11. Filip

Filip Registered

Naturally they can't say sorry guys we don't care about that.
    In rf2 I believe in something only when it gets released. Experience ;).

Binny likes this.
  12. turtleCZ

turtleCZ Registered

Hmmm, that's not much :D But depends, maybe they have another people. Maybe not. I thought rFactor team is rather similar for many years. Where the old team went?

13. turtleCZ

turtleCZ Registered

Thank you!

When I start the game and want to play. That's it. It's enough to me. I can play it and it works. What more do I need? Even awesome workshop for mods.

Yes, I have every racing product and played it before rF2 (AC, ACC, AMS1, AMS2, BeamNG.drive, DR2, F1 (all), PC1, PC2, R3E, rF1, Wreckest - everything with all DLCs). rF2 was my last test because from some distance it looked very strange. Before rF2 I played mostly AMS2. After I tried rF2 I never came back to other games :D I don't need anything from other games currently (on tarmac).

Mark Lloyd and Kevin Karas like this.
  14. Filip

Filip Registered

Sorry, how to take you seriously after that :eek::p

15. turtleCZ

turtleCZ Registered

UI is really good. I read about loading times everywhere but it's not long. What is long for you?

16. Alex96

Alex96 Registered

I don't know if it has to do with it, but since a few weeks ago, when you hit the last exit, the game got stuck with the RF2 logo and I had to finish the process from the task manager. I have also appreciated that it takes a lot longer to start the game. Test from 5 minutes ago: it took 1 minute 17 seconds. Before I think it didn't take half the time. Then everything works perfectly and without slowness, even when it crashes when leaving it saves me the videos and the telemetry correctly.
    Fixed here: https://forum.studio-397.com/index.php?threads/long-boot-time-fix.64329/#post-1075162

Last edited: Jul 30, 2021
  17. Kevin Karas

Kevin Karas Registered

Okay perfect. That's a place we've all been in. Until you find out about the problems one day :D Until you want to consistently drive in a league. Until you notice how bad netcode and car behavior of other drivers is, what the setup Hacks are, what problems occur in team endurance races. I can keep on going :D
    I don't see iracing in your list. That's okay as it's expensive. I'm not a fan boy I also own all Sims out there and appreciate their pros, but iracing is one of the most impressive Sims out there in terms of user experience. It just works! No matter what you do, AI or official online, league or endurance. It's just soooo easy. From setting up your equipment to driver change in an Endu. I could bet there will be a day when you are frustrated with rF2 and give it up for another sim. But for now I'm glad you enioy the experience

18. Kevin Karas

Kevin Karas Registered

What's absolutely unbelievable to me is how S397 is pushing esports and broadcasting, while seeing the cars move on track is such a big pain to watch. That's actually the reason I don't watch it, although I like watching Sim racing esports.
    Having the cars jiggle around like in a 2010s game, while iracing is absolutely perfect at it for over a decade now just blows my mind over how priorities are set.

19. turtleCZ

turtleCZ Registered

I can imagine that. I don't need league for now. I don't need MP at all for now. It's always hard to find some people to play with and if you have strict schedule, single is the best way. I don't care about setup hacks like in other games. Yeah, I get it, so many problems if you care.

Exactly, no iRacing here :D Doesn't look like product for me and even driving there is probably not my cup of tea. That's fine it's good. But because I played so many other games I didn't find anything perfect. I take games as what they are. Could be better? Sure, but it's not my game. Real world is complicated and sometimes good thing is hard to build.

Thanks.

trichens and Kevin Karas like this.
  20. turtleCZ

turtleCZ Registered

That's really strange. I haven't tried it but I thought it's really good. Esport looked like good direction to me but if hardly works it's a bit strange.