Now THIS is a great summary of OUR user experience

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Kevin Karas, Jul 6, 2021.

1. turtleCZ

turtleCZ Registered

It's not true. Optimization is usually very expensive. The more complex game the more complex optimization. It's not like you invest 10 % into optimization and gain 30 %. It could be 200 % into it and get 25 %. SW is so much complex and if the engine is old there is probably very much old code and who knows how many talented guys from ISI stayed. You need best talent, a lot of money and a lot of time to have great SW. Many companies don't have anything from it. I don't know situation at all but "being lazy" is rather standard for normal development because nothing else is possible. Current game looks rather good.

And mostly, you can't sell optimizations almost to anybody. Try to ask investor about few millions you would like to invest into just optimizations.

atomed likes this.
  2. ATQ

ATQ Registered

I agree with most of the criticism.

The UI and loading times makes me want to start rF2 less frequently. The UI is especially bad in VR. I wish they could make a desktop UI, similar to Content Manager for AC.

I also agree that S397 should review and reorganize the content. It's currently a big mess.

I'm not convinced, however, that moving on to rF3 would be a solution. A new technical platform would require a ton of work and that work may very well be better spent on improving the current one.

Kevin Karas likes this.
  3. Kevin Karas

Kevin Karas Registered

But do you think work IS actually spend on improvements? In the last years we've barely seen any improvements in regards of user experience imo

4. pilAUTO

pilAUTO Registered

It's not complicated, the user experience is really the worst part of rF2.

But what you have to ask yourself is, is it the most important aspects in a great simulation (spoiler: *NO*, just a little important), is it improving (spoiler: *YES*, improving slow but certain and continuous), and above all the most important aspects of a simulation are they globally present (yes, not all, but rF2 is the best on these aspects).

Then there are aspects that are important on which rF2 is rather bad (but not crappy) : AI, racing rules, online...

I find that rF2 corresponds to my expectations (real realistic simulation), is constantly improving and overall is not bad, except on userfriendly and AI to keep it simple.

juanchioooo and Andy Bonar like this.
  5. Kevin Karas

Kevin Karas Registered

Yes! I do think it's the most important part, because simulations usually lack of users. And the devs need users to be profitable. And a profitable company can make the simulation aspect better because that's the most expensive part.
    Creating a competition system and focusing on eSports pulls new users to the Sim momentarily but those won't stay because it's pretty "shit" to use. I've been through that, and multiple of my friends I tried to introduce into rF2. It has always been the same story. All hate the user experience and just leave without purchasing any additional content.
    I think User experience is what a 2021 software company should mainly focus on

6. turtleCZ

turtleCZ Registered

Why my user experience is great and bought every possible DLC then?

7. lagg

lagg Registered

Because you are looking for different things.
    I've been surprised when @pilAUTO has said that the online if rF2 is bad. For me is very good. I'm racing only online since rF1 days and the leagues experience has been great. Then i suposse that he speaks about the Comp System or a different way to use the online.

turtleCZ likes this.
  8. Binny

Binny Registered

Question has there been any talk of the hud being able to be moved to players choice for positioning on screen/VR, or will they just let players use simhub and not bother. I personally would like it to be in the sim something similar to iracing.

9. pilAUTO

pilAUTO Registered

The user experience, I mean user-friendly, loading times, etc ... is catastrophic in rF2.

I've been a fan (NOT fanboy, positive and constructive critism) of rF2 for 8 years, and before rF1, but I think you have to be clear-headed.

I understand from reading you that you are new to rF2.

You arrive at the right time, the user experience is still bad but has really improved, but especially after many many years with a very unsatisfactory rF2 on many subjects, rF2 has started for I would say 6 months ago to be really really good.

It's good that you're positive, but be clear about rF2's flaws, but frankly as a new user you haven't experienced the gigantic frustrations of this simulation.

@lagg :

In fact I am an offline player only, maybe I was wrong about the online aspect. I was told the netcode was excellent (iracing players).

lagg likes this.
  10. Lazza

Lazza Registered

For a long time now the HUD system has been on the list to be overhauled. I'm not sure where it sits on the list, and it's perhaps a little worrying that the UI (which itself is built on a new system, encompassing the competition system, and whose development necessitated pulling apart large parts of code tying the previous UI to the internal game code) is still awaiting a major refresh/update/overhaul to improve its user friendliness.

So: a new HUD system, and let's assume that's a flexible one, is planned.

On the other hand, the current HUD (and only the same elements, though customisable in appearance) can be customised via devmode, and a number of options are on the workshop that can cater to many needs. If you've only tried the core ones you should take the (considerable) time to try all those. You might find something that suits you better in the ~years we wait for a new HUD system.

Binny likes this.
  11. Roninho

Roninho Registered

I would love 397 list a top 10 of most mentioned user issues for Ai and a top 10 for user issues for online play. And just give their assesment on what they are going to do. Including ''sorry guys, we are not working or going to work on this topic'. Clarity would be worth a lot for me.

AlexHeuskat, Binny and turtleCZ like this.
  12. turtleCZ

turtleCZ Registered

Yes, I am new and trying to understand why I read so many complaints everywhere. It's not possible to buy the game after reading anything on the internet :D It looks like the game is really bad. I can understand some long-term fan is disappointed after years of waiting but still I don't know any other better game. I like the UI, loading times are OK, no problem here. The game really looks like it's rather for technical people which is OK to me. It's like Linux 20 years ago, it was way ahead of everything but almost nobody used it. It's almost the same today :D

But if you say it's good now, I agree. I can't say almost anything today. Still, many people want some non-sense stuff otherwise they will go to other sim. OK, good luck there.

For instance, my friend doesn't like rF2 because of setup glitches. I don't care about any glitches. Who even cares? Do I need to use it? No. It's so strange some people use it as a good point why game is bad.

13. Binny

Binny Registered

This list has anyone ever seen 1 ? or is it something spoken about but no 1 really knows for sure ?

14. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Devs (speaking of S397 members generally) will sometimes speak of something being added to a 'list', whether it's a bug or some feature/fix to be looked at. Over the years various roadmaps have mentioned various aspects, and that's analogous to a list.

They're also devs, selling a game, and they're obviously not done with it. So there's some sort of list of priorities.

If not seeing a list is a problem for you, I think you'd be missing the point.

15. Kevin Karas

Kevin Karas Registered

Well, thats cool! Seeing your forum sign up time I assume you are new to the rF2 world. Welcome!

I wonder what do you define as user experience? Do you own any other sim racing products to compare to?

16. avenger82

avenger82 Registered

The response to each of the top 10 issues , if any at all , would be "we are looking into it"/ "it's on TODO list" as it was for last few years:)

Filip likes this.
  17. avenger82

avenger82 Registered

I think Michael Borda is the only one. But I may be wrong.

18. Filip

Filip Registered

Naturally they can't say sorry guys we don't care about that.
    In rf2 I believe in something only when it gets released. Experience ;).

Binny likes this.
  19. turtleCZ

turtleCZ Registered

Hmmm, that's not much :D But depends, maybe they have another people. Maybe not. I thought rFactor team is rather similar for many years. Where the old team went?

20. turtleCZ

turtleCZ Registered

Thank you!

When I start the game and want to play. That's it. It's enough to me. I can play it and it works. What more do I need? Even awesome workshop for mods.

Yes, I have every racing product and played it before rF2 (AC, ACC, AMS1, AMS2, BeamNG.drive, DR2, F1 (all), PC1, PC2, R3E, rF1, Wreckest - everything with all DLCs). rF2 was my last test because from some distance it looked very strange. Before rF2 I played mostly AMS2. After I tried rF2 I never came back to other games :D I don't need anything from other games currently (on tarmac).

Mark Lloyd and Kevin Karas like this.