Now THIS is a great summary of OUR user experience

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Kevin Karas, Jul 6, 2021.

1. turtleCZ

turtleCZ Registered

But it works to me. How else I would invest over 200 euro in two months? Into broken game? Hardly. The game is not perfect but it's not bad at all if I check the competition. I can't find any better game for now.

Probably 397 way is not what you expected but maybe works for others. Like I said, I am not wide gamer, I don't need much. But it works to me. Even Ermin still love the handling so what else do you need from racing sim. But I get it some people play online and do other stuff too.

2. EricW

EricW Registered

Good for you.
    Over the years I've maybe spend hundredfold, who cares!?.
    When you buy a car and the blinkers, mirrors and wipers are missing, you say It's all oké because it drives nice.. :D

3. turtleCZ

turtleCZ Registered

The point was the game is superb even for a newcomer. After reading this forum I wouldn't buy it because it looks like the game is completely broken and old :D

Maybe, I don't need wipers, blinkers and mirrors for awesome cruising.

4. avenger82

avenger82 Registered

With rF2 the problem is the more you play it the more problems you encounter. From small ones to pretty serious issues. Then you find out it’s already been reported many times, mostly long time ago, and roughly 9 in 10 it’s on ever growing TODO list (or not even officially acknowledged) and nothing seems to be done with it. Two of the strongest features: physics and AI haven’t been touched since S397 took over and even regressed in some areas. Then you find out about missing features, like no hybrid support, no proper drive train simulation, no transmission damage, and small things like lack of track map, input pedals widgets etc. Only thing that really improved is new content and graphics, but even with DLC cars there are still significant issues.

Morbo, r00b Driver and TPGRacing75 like this.
  5. doddynco

doddynco Registered

See if you feel the same way in 5 years.

6. Maarten Nauta

Maarten Nauta Registered

While this thread is quite cathartic its pointless and next month there will be further improvements to the broadcasting system that few people care about :).

I have made my peace with rf2 in the sense that i wont buy DLC anymore to support development only if im really interested in the DLC.

7. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

Thats not quite how it is. At least in my case. I don't encounter more problems in rF2, I encounter less of them as I learn about them and then in most cases can avoid them, or deal with them so there is no problem anymore.

However, with more time everyone certainly learns about problems that were unknown to them before. Although that does apply to good things too, you just learn more things. Especially if you start modding too, modeling, doing physics....

But it is true for the physics and AI. Not much we have got. The studio was certainly was focusing on graphics, content and what goes with UI and there were some core rF2 improvements too. Like a lot less freezes, faster track loading times... but who is counting good stuff, it arrives and just becomes something normal.

8. turtleCZ

turtleCZ Registered

I get it but wonder what games do you play. I can tell you the same about every game I played. It always looks like partly done by group of amateurs. It's so normal. To me it's take it or leave it.

5 years? Normal games are for 50 hours at max.

9. turtleCZ

turtleCZ Registered

I just tried Monaco 66 with Mclaren 650 and it was great. What other game can offer it? With same physics? None. With the same track? Probably AC only. I am not saying the game is perfect but it is what it is. Could be better? Sure. Maybe Motorsport games will improve it. Maybe not. Hard life of a sim racer :D

10. green serpent

green serpent Registered

I could have chosen any number of literally rubbish UI's from racing games, AC was just what came to mind. Quite literally, go try to set up a race in the latest Forza. Then you will see what a total unmitigated piece of steaming horse shit a UI can be. Especially when you are drunk it is enourmously difficult to figure basic things like selecting the car you want, and the loading times by comparison make rF2 look like Concorde. I know it's not apples and oranges but try to not get stuck up on the details and understand the point. In no other game can I tweak and adjust MANY MANY different things, all in a package that with effort is at least usuable.

I come from photography so I like to use that as an example (and I enjoy bragging at every opportunity like Ermin). I have two rather high end mirroless cameras, one from Sony, one from Canon. I like to set up very basic things that make my job easy, things like being able to change the white balance on the fly insead of having to dig through menus, things like setting up different focusing buttons that have different paraments like single shot or continuous auto focus so I can shoot a dynamic situation as it unfolds before me in real time insead of having to change back and forth between different focusing modes taking my eyes off the action. Can I do these things? No I can't. There are so many dumb design decisions that l cannot even express how frustrated I get. These are two MASSIVE companies and each camera is 5k+ plus a pop. Again, this may not be a perfect anaology, but the POINT is that they absolutely suck when it comes it UI type stuff. Setting up bracketing on a Canon is absured beyond what you can imagine, and Sony does things which make you think there isn't one pro photographer in the whole company!

The rF2 UI is shite, but it DOES THE JOB. Better than most. Everything I want to do (almost) I can do, without too much fuss. That is better that 99% of products out ther, sim or not!

It's very far from perfect, but it is usable. Ultimately my point is, screw the bloddy UI and move on to physics, ai etc!

Give us dark mode and a couple other things, but move on, no need to overhaul the entire thing, focus on more important stuff.

Okay just my opinion, sorry about the passion!

Last edited: Jul 13, 2021
    pkelly and MiguelVallejo like this.
  11. Kevin Karas

Kevin Karas Registered

Thanks! This is exactly what I am also thinking. Sure its an amazing sim, but is there something that works 100%? No. Some days ago I decided to to a couple of laps with the 911 GT3 R, because currently Im in love with that car. So I bought it - and the first time I jumped into the car my jaw dropped to the floor. I did not expect such a baaaad quality. Compared to latest cars like the Corvette for example, the Porsche should be given away for FREE. I can´t believe both are sold for the same price.
    Also the fact that you need every car and track that is run in a competition series. The CS will never succeed with that. There are people out there wanting to drive a GT car in the CS series and they cant because they need to buy 5 other cars and 5 tracks. That can add up to 50 bucks for something you just dont want. That is such bad PR

Kelju_K and EricW like this.
  12. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

Never mind...i know its working, if the proper values are used for Track (AIW), Mod (HDV) and AI (RCD).

13. R.Noctua

R.Noctua Registered

New sound, AI fix, user-friendly HUD? No! Only eSport and a competition system!
    MP needs a base of active players, but without the basic tools there won't be any.

Every time I write such trite nonsense, I always wonder what dev is thinking. It feels like the right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing - there are absolutely awesome things like tyre model, interesting licences, beautiful tracks and the rest of the shit.

Hopefully S397 will make the right conclusions at some point.

r00b Driver likes this.
  14. avenger82

avenger82 Registered

Recently I play RaceRoom and it feels much more like finished product. Sector3 is also relatively small studio too but they really keep improving the sim. They have good competition system that actually works and attracts enough players (at least in Europe you often have full grids). Now they’ve have new physics based FFB. AI is better than in rF2 IMO. There are some problems like game crashes (rarely but it happens).
    iRacing also feels like finished product, but I played it only for few months because the it is way too expensive. It has problems with tires/ tire model etc. but other than that it just works.

EricW likes this.
  15. R.Noctua

R.Noctua Registered

AI is good, but its main disadvantage is that it doesn't make mistakes. I'd rather have an insane RF2 AI that can out off track than a static RR-AI.

16. hitm4k3r

hitm4k3r Registered

I think it's valid to point out that you prefer product XYZ for whatever reason and they might be the more fleshed out products. But it also makes sense to look back at the history of those products and their development and what they are. iRacing and RR are completely different products. How big is the chance that iRacing devs or Sector 3 will have to worry about legacy shaders and the support of 3rd party content and how they integrate that into their UI? All the sims have very different feature sets and focus and I think this is a very critical point when we judge development and it's pace. Rain was never a thing in iRacing or in RR, but it's clear that it needed and still needs work in rF2, and this reaches from integrating it proplery in the UI, to tire developement and the visual and audio support for it, wich takes away resources from other areas - it's a logical consequence. The UI and competition system for RaceRoom and for iRacing are a result of many many years of work, in the case of iRacing over a decade. Do you want to make a guess how long the beta phase for the iRacing UI lasted? Or how long Sector 3 worked on the UI side of things while the rest of the sim is still pretty average? And I don't know if "new physics based FFB" is something to write home about for a product that was released in 2013, especialy not for rF2 users where this is gerne standard since ten years. Anyway, it's not bad to look beyond the horizon and see where different products excell, but the requirements and starting points for all those products are very different. :)

17. avenger82

avenger82 Registered

But they weren’t released in alpha state as in case of rF2. Perhaps they had less features, but they were working as expected. I didn’t play iRacing 10 years ago, but I think the competition system was working pretty good since the beginning, no?
    IRacing and RR also have some legacy content that gets updated from time to time. Their graphics currently look a bit outdated too, but emphasis is on other features which I personally prefer.
    I don’t know much about modding, but I think S397 doesn’t do much for modders to help them update legacy content. I think not much documentation or samples are provided for modders. Yes iRacing new beta UI has been in development for a long time, but the previous UI wasn’t bad.
    Pure physics based FFB isn’t something unique as iRacing and ACC have it , but I believe even rF2 has some artificial effects added or enhanced in controller .ini files by default.

18. turtleCZ

turtleCZ Registered

I like R3E but I don't play it. Graphics is much better in rF2. And physics? Come on, it's completely different. You can't slide in R3E but you can all the time in rF2. It's day night difference. I heard iRacing is even "worse" than R3E.

R3E feels like old product to me and it's not bad. I don't see much competition there. Price is similar to rF2 but quality is not that good. MP could be different story, I haven't tried any.

19. Pales

Pales Registered

If that was the case, every modder would have done it by now, and so would have the developers. You cannot fix a logic issue by adjusting a few lines within a notepad. Whilst the areas you have mentioned allow for things to be improved *slightly* it will never be a fix. The issue still happens, and I have witnessed it myself after extensive testing.

Should you wish to go down this route further, please provide a track with long straights and your adjustments, and I will be happy to capture a video of the issue. I am that confident.

20. turtleCZ

turtleCZ Registered

When we have so cool discussion. Can somebody tell me why R3E is so different from sliding perspective? When I asked R3E guys they told me R3E is the most real sim. I am not sure because I don't own many racing tracks or cars I can destroy so it's hard to test it.