Northern Run W.I.P

Discussion in 'Locations' started by MoodyB, May 2, 2013.

1. MoodyB

MoodyB Registered

Hey all,

This is a track layout I've had in my head for a while, so I've decided to try & bring it to rF2 if you all think it's enjoyable enough to drive.

Quick lap around a very early version of the layout in rF1 :

Below is a link to a version for rF1 that was made in Bobs Track Builder 0.8.0.3, as it was the quickest way to test the layout.

If you still have rF1 installed, then feel free to download it & let me know your opinion :

https://www.dropbox.com/s/sf7jw6bs3pehh80/NorthernRun_WIP.zip

Just extract the 'NorthernRun' folder from the zip to your GameData\Locations\ folder

So you should have :

-Locations
    --NorthernRun (folder)
    ---NorthernRun (folder)
    ---sky.mas
    ---SKY01.DDS

There's a few minor places I plan on tweaking, but I'll see what the general opinion is before I start.

This is v0.0001 as far as I'm concerned as initially I'm looking for feedback on the layout before I start it properly in Max, so I wouldn't expect any pretty screenshots soon unfortunately.

So fire away & be as critical as you like :)

2. GTClub_wajdi

GTClub_wajdi Registered

Bring it already to rf2;) the layout is fantastic!

3. PlickBadger

PlickBadger Registered

layout looks very cool!

4. jimcarrel

jimcarrel Registered

One thing about this layout, there are a few short turns that can sure ruin your whole lap if you don't hit the turn in's at the correct spot. Pretty tricky layout. (but it looks simple).

5. MoodyB

MoodyB Registered

Thanks for the replys guys.

Is that a good thing or a bad thing, that could just frustrate other people quickly?

I'm not the best / quickest driver out there by far, so I'm used to missing turn-in's and ruining a lap. It doesn't bother me personally but that's why I was looking for feedback from a few others.

6. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

There are some blind apex corners for sure, those remind me a bit of some corners at Portimao. Right now, as a driver, you have next to zero reference points as where to brake or even turn in, so when those are added, you should be fine. Also, you could always flatten out the brakezones a bit, or just raise the apex. I don't think some corners being 'hard' to judge or find your way around should be a reason to adjust the layout, since that just comes down to learning the track.

What did seem a bit overdone though was the elevation sometimes. Large differences in elevation are cool and all, but in some instances the car seemed airborne, think that should be avoided.

Also, at about 75% down the lap, there appeared to be a chicane, which you took flat out, dead straight. If it doesn't do what it is supposed to do, reduce speed, then I think it's best to leave it out, or adjust it so you have to atleast slow the car down enough to really turn, hang on for the first turn, and on the throttle again towards the second one and onto the straight. There are a lot of straight bits and tight corners, a medium speed chicane would be quite nice to have in there I reckon.

edit:
    The kerbs seem like they are 2 meters wide btw :p

7. MoodyB

MoodyB Registered

Thanks for the feedback wgeuze.

The chicanes have been tweaked to be worthwhile now, rather than just being there for the sake of it.

I might shorten some of the straights slightly. My original thought was for plently of places to allow overtaking. Plus it lets you listen to the engine note sing if the mod has good sounds :)

And yeah I know the kerbs are a bit wide. They're just placeholders for now to make driving the track a bit easier.

8. tjc

tjc Registered

Good stuff MoodyB.

:)

9. jimcarrel

jimcarrel Registered

Absolutely didn't mean to say that the "tricky" bits were no good. A good challenging layout always needs at least one.

Instead of short turns, maybe I should have said Chicanes.

10. rhs

rhs Registered

Good looking layout! How many Km is the track ?

11. jimcarrel

jimcarrel Registered

Hope you haven't given up on this project!

12. MoodyB

MoodyB Registered

It's around 6.5km I think. Can't quite remember since it's been a while since I did any work on it.

No I haven't. I stopped any gaming for a few months there, so work on the track also stopped.

I'll start on it again in 3DS Max over the next few days as I've started playing games again.

Working on the track, rF2, GSC2013 & pCars will keep me entertained until the temp outside goes above 16c again next year :)

13. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

Looks like a nice, flowing, much higher than average speed track. We need some of those.

But it will need a lot of atmospherics and graphics work to bring it up to rF2 standards. A team of people would be needed unless you are planning to work full time and are extremely talented.

14. MoodyB

MoodyB Registered

I'm aiming for a cross between Deep Forrest & Trial Mountain, if you want an idea of what it will, hopefully!?, end up like :)

Having high-ish sides & an overall closed-in feel to it will cut down on some work required considering the length of the track.

15. jimcarrel

jimcarrel Registered

Sounds like a good plan!

16. rhs

rhs Registered

I would very much like to see this track coming to rFactor 2; looks great !

17. MoodyB

MoodyB Registered

Thanks rhs :)

I've been fleshing out the surrounding terrain a bit in BTB & making minor tweaks to the layout.

It's still in rF1 just now but I'm hoping to get it into 3ds Max, & then rF2, this weekend.

Then the hard bit begins!

18. Galaga

Galaga Banned

Sounds like you know what you are doing, MoodyB. I'll definitely be giving this one a try. Keep us posted.

19. GTClub_wajdi

GTClub_wajdi Registered

YESSS...this track would be a great addition to rf2 and Moody seems a very good modder!

20. MoodyB

MoodyB Registered

I wouldn't quite go that far :) The track's progress will determine whether they are true or not :eek:

If I could have used Lightwave3D then I'd be a bit more comfortable as I used to know it pretty well.
    Sadly I can't so I'll need to learn Max & remind myself of what I read up on a few months ago when I started this.

This getting old carry on isn't kind to your brain cells :p