[REL] Nordschleife3 v3.00

Discussion in 'Locations' started by DJCruicky, Jul 22, 2014.

1. Marek Lesniak

Marek Lesniak Car Team Staff Member

Right now some of them are too big (elevation changes). I've been on the real track.... and I'm driving with FOV 21 (correct for my monitor setup), so don't worry ;)

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 5, 2014
  2. ZeosPantera

ZeosPantera Registered

This. If you run a correct FOV you get butterflies on the downhills.

3. Ecco_pRv

Ecco_pRv Registered

oh I see. I thought you were talking about too low elevation, as it looks like with default FOV.

as you mention it, I'd like to point everyone who doesn't know about that to this thread, it really makes a difference:

http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php/93-Setting-up-your-rFactor-FOV-Tutorial

thanks for that ZeosPantera!!!

4. ZeosPantera

ZeosPantera Registered

It really needs an update/reboot. Do the calculations and talk about it in an rF2 world.

Showing off FOV really comes down to this video.

5. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

No, it would require very extensive remodeling to work on the accuracy of the track (as per what has been written before).

6. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

errr... are there any facts about wrong elevations here?

Looking at videos seems to me this is an amazing interpretation of the place.
    And comments like "I drove there and its wrong" dont really persuade me, as Ive seen lots of "Hey, I drove there and its as it should be".

7. Marek Lesniak

Marek Lesniak Car Team Staff Member

Then go there and compare by yourself ;)
    Before I went there with my friends a second time, we've been preparing ourselves. Saying that, we already have done hundreds of laps, but there's never enough of the Nordschleife, right? :) We tried both and compare to our own onboard videos from our previous visit to the track (matching fov, camera position etc.) and Nor/Com8 version in several places are noticably off. Much closer to the real track is SimBin's version. Sorry, no hard proofs here. Compare both and decide for yourself.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 7, 2014
  8. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

I'd be more impressed when there are facts about elevations in there which are actually correct. Don't know
    how the track is built, what source etc., but I'd assume 99% is just not accurate if only google earth reference is used,
    and that applies to most if not all 3rd party tracks.

9. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

Wish I could, lucky you :)

10. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

For me it doesn`t matter how close this track comes to the real Nordschleife. It`s one of the best tracks, if not the best, for rF2. Thats for me the most important point...

11. ZeosPantera

ZeosPantera Registered

I'm not super duper impressed/obsessed with laser scanning. Yes it is more accurate and for the big slopes and such it is nice but I think 95% accurate is accurate enough. 3° steeper or shallower or 10cm narrower than real life isn't an enjoyment killer. Track surface accuracy is also a joke. They are going to re-pave the track regularly. No point in capturing it in ¼ cm accuracy every divot and scrape if that version will be worn down and repaved by the time the virtual track releases.

12. jimcarrel

jimcarrel Registered

Point is - I've never been there, but for running it from my computer, whats the diff? Yes, I've seen film clips but still, what can I base the differences on? (besides, curbs or no curbs)
    Yet, I can still brag to the wife that "I just ran Nordschleife!!!"

Of course she would probably say "What's that? Get back to your chores!"

13. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

hehe Jim, thats the main point for me too, cant be there, but still... I do know its bends and how they feel like:eek:

14. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

It's been stated by Pleclair himself that when he matched up both the Simbin version with this modded version, almost all of this one was off and the Simbin one when matched to maps has dead-on layout. When comparing videos of the actual thing and a couple of other games the elevations do look quite nice as well. It just highlights the work that Simbin, Polyphony, Slightly Mad Studios (as it is created in pCARS) have done and that iRacing and Kunos will have to ... albeit the latter two have laser scan data.

15. DJCruicky

DJCruicky Registered

It is a known fact that this track has it's inaccuracies, not just with elevations, but also plan layout too. There are many posts on Pleclair's old thread about it even with some overlays comparing it with Google maps.
    But, as Guimengo says, it would require very extensive remodelling to get anywhere near real life version. I'm only good with the easy stuff :p.
    When Snoopy did just that with has AC version (which is also based on Com8's version), there was lots of posts saying even though it's now more accurate with real life version it's now not as fun. People were saying it's less of a roller-coaster.

Anyway, a little progress report what we have been doing since release of last version.
    I've been playing with the possibility of adding the F1 GP circuit to the track (At last I hear you say) :). Good news is it's a very high possibility as I've had some good success with adding it.
    Better news is it's not the rf1 version I'm adding, but it's mianiak's high detail version of Nürburgring GP Circuit. Thanks to mianiak for giving me full permission. Sorry for not saying anything sooner as it's taken this long for the permission as mianiak is very very busy with other rf2 things.

I completely removed what was there of the GP circuit and moved into place mianiaks track. It was not a bad fit. I just had to hit it with a big hammer. Took awhile to stitch both tracks together.
    Mianiaks track is very detailed, weighing in at 300meg, dropping in a track that big on top of a track already big do expect some loss on framerate. I've been working on trying to improve that by removing a lot more items if you run a lower track detail level than full. I had hoped to try share textures between both track but that was something hard to do and found not a lot I could share.

Tosch has done some texture recolouring, TV camms, and started working on the AI paths. We got working already the short cut to start a timed lap, so you only have to do a warmup lap of the GP circuit and not the full track. Instead of turning left to go onto Nords you turn right to start another lap of GP track. The AI take this path too.

I have bumped into small problem when moving GP track. It seems that the further away you move an object from the centre location 0,0,0 (x,y,z) the more they flicker. Forexample an advert board from a distance was flickering between it and the building it was attached to, or a tyre wall cover was flickering between it and the tyrewall. Think the problem is called z-fighting. In the case of the GP track it's over 3km's from the 0,0,0 point. There seems to be less precision when objects are rendered at this distance. Getting the odd shadow glitch too. As a work around I've been moving objects away from each other so they don't flicker in and out of each other, but if any modder out there knows a better fix please say. An example of Z-fighting:- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CjckWVwd2ek

For now I'm concentrating on the 24Hour layout of the track for now. I've added a few more glow in the dark items to the Nords part.

Nice vid to get you in the mood, this is the layout I'm working to..

Progress has slowed down a bit as I started a full time temp job 3 weeks ago, but I'm still poking at it when I can.

DJC

16. jimcarrel

jimcarrel Registered

Poke on!!!!!!!

17. Hazi

Hazi Registered

Great News! TIA

18. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

Wow I never ever expected that we would see the full 24H layout! That is indeed amazing news! You guys absolutely rock. I can't thank you enough I really can't. A couple of heroes of the modding community. :)

19. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

This!

20. Eddy

Eddy Registered

Great news DJ.