NOLA ai

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by kevib1, Mar 12, 2017.

1. kevib1

kevib1 Registered

I have been very impressed the ai recently both official and non official content. Sadly until the latest release. I don't know if it is the NOLA aiw or something that has changed in the latest game release but this is the worst ai we have had for some time.
    I am attempting to drive the USF2000. It would appear the ai are completely unable to estimate the width of either their or my car either just ploughing into one rear corner of my car or not leaving anything like enough on the outside of a corner to allow me on the inside. No, I am not making a late lunge, we are side by side before the braking or they are attempting to around me, perhaps when I have to slow for traffic in front. I'm not an aiw designer but perhaps the outside line on most corners just isn't wide enough.
    All of this used to be a problem with ai several builds ago but things had started getting considerably better.
    As in the past the only resolution seems to to turn the ai aggression down to such a point that the ai make no attempt to over-take or back out of it rather than try to compete if you get along side them. This removes all fun and enjoyment form the game.
    Any chance there is a fix on the way soon?

2. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

Well...you could waste your time, using the ai learning system, wich wouldn`t really help. But doesn`t matter, just wait a few moments, until someone would jump in here and advise you to do so ;)

[sarcasm off] as far as i can see, the aiw of Nola isn`t done very well (no offend to S397 Dev`s), a lot of cars going much to wide and across the highest kerbs. Could end in tipping over...

Would be really nice, to get a slightly better version of the aiw...

3. Euskotracks

Euskotracks Registered

First of all. Is the problem about Nola or is it happening with other tracks? Your post sounds confusing in this sense. Do the tests and specify or you will probably be ignored by many who won't do those tests for you. If it is with Nola... Is it happening with all layouts or rather with a particular one?

As a track maker I can say that making good AIW is not easy at all. It is usually left unpolished until the rest of the track is finished and by then you are usually tired and just willing to publish it.

I can imagine the case with a track with so many layouts. Creating different layouts is not very complicated in terms of 3D modeling. But it is a complete nightmare for AIW creating. My latest track Gotham Hills has 8 layouts so I know what I am talking about.

As I have stated in some other thread, if a replay of a good clean lap could be used in AIW editor to "satisfactorily" create the fast path, the problem would probably be solved. It is clear that AI simply cannot reproduce a normally driven lap in Devmode AIW editor. Learning or callibration systems are not solving this problem.

Juergen-BY and peterchen like this.
  4. peterchen

peterchen Registered

What OP describes sounds not at all like an aiw-issue. More like AI seems not aware of driver (if I got that right).

Yes Eusco, doing aiw for Gotham Hills is a nightmare! LOL As you know I tried it (with some little success), but it was a too hard nut to crack.
    There seems something special about your tracks that it´s so hard to get the AI on speed there.

Euskotracks likes this.
  5. Euskotracks

Euskotracks Registered

And you know I appreciate all the effort you made ;).

peterchen likes this.