No road reflections

Discussion in 'Technical Archives' started by stonec, Feb 23, 2013.

1. stonec

stonec Registered

I haven't been able to get any kind of road reflections to display on the latest build (this might have even been an issue in previous builds, as I didn't have the option enabled before). Here's how a fully wet track looks on max settings:

View attachment 6398

I'm running AMD HD 5770 with the latest drivers.

2. Hazi

Hazi Registered

I think the track has to be soaking wet and the reflections show up better when rainfall stops.

3. Diablo

Diablo Registered

To check if road reflections are working it is easiest to use a car which has brake lights. See if they cause reflections on the road surface.

4. stonec

stonec Registered

Thanks for the suggestions. Here is one screenshot where I let it rain for quite awhile, with backlights. I think it's safe to say reflections are broken, at least for certain graphic cards.

View attachment 6403

5. zack

zack Registered

yes,works for me only at the old monza and croft.

6. Diablo

Diablo Registered

Have you checked in the dry? I have a Radeon HD 5770 as well and I see them in the dry. If anything they look a little overdone, but they are definitely there.

Edit: Also check if you have "Auto Detial FPS" enabled, it might be responsible for disabling such things if FPS drop below the threshold.

Edit2: I just checked in the dark (to make it more pronounced) on a dry track, road reflections work. They work as well on a wet track in the dark, but I see no rain drops, even though they are enabled. However in the day the reflections are gone but the rain drops work.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 23, 2013
  7. Tosch

Tosch Registered

Here you go. Btw the asphalt patch is ISI standard setting "atm".

[​IMG]

8. stonec

stonec Registered

Interesting, when I put the conditions to dark I was able to see a faint reflection from the rear lights. On rain&dry there is absolutely nothing on all the tracks I tested. Here is a press image from a previous build where you can see a much more pronounced effect.
    I'm a bit confused whether this is a GPU problem or just something that has changed over the builds...

9. stonec

stonec Registered

Interesting as well, I'll check if I can reproduce that on my card.

10. Tosch

Tosch Registered

ISI made a drastic change in the lightning engine some builds ago (build 069?). The reflection values in the old components (tracks) are optimized for the old lightning engine. All these components have to be updated by ISI, but i believe we will not see any updates until the gfx engine is final.

The reflection of the rear lights is ok. You have a diffuse reflection on a dry track and a specular reflection on a wet track. What is missing is the reflection of the light source (sun, track lights, headlights, ...). Looks like they are not implemented in the reflection maps.

11. stonec

stonec Registered

Ok, I was able to get some level of rain reflection visible in devmode as the image below shows. The parameter Ref Fres Max defaults to 0.30 for me, which seems to produce only a very faint reflection.

View attachment 6405

In single player I did not notice this effect at all yet, but it may have to do with road wetness or sky setting. At least it's not a GPU problem then after all, so thanks anyway.