No ReflectionMapper generated in QuickScene?

Discussion in 'Track Modding' started by blakboks, Nov 7, 2013.

1. blakboks

blakboks Registered

Can anyone else confirm or deny that the QuickScene does not generate ReflectionMapper entries in the .scn file? If this is the case, @ISI, is this a bug or by design, or perhaps even an "oversight"?

2. Jka

Jka Member Staff Member

Personally I don't use QuickScene function at all. Full scene generation will generate ReflectionMapper-, and other entries, correctly. Just tested it last night. ;)

If you are looking way to generate partial scene file from your track (including only some objects to scene file), arrange your objects in max to different layers and hide unwanted layers before scn generation.

Cheers!

3. Luc Van Camp

Luc Van Camp Track Team Staff Member

If you're exporting a large batch of objects, I would use the full scene generation as Jka explained.
    QuickScene is only really useful during track creation, I find: easy to copy/paste a small set of new objects into the main SCN.

Is there a reason why QS doesn't include that info? I'd have to ask. I never missed not having the info there though ...

And yes, always use layers. Always :) .

4. blakboks

blakboks Registered

Yeah, that's pretty much exactly what I'm doing with QuickScene as well. If I make a significant change or add new objects, I'll generate the QuickScene then copy/paste into the main .scn file. In this particular instance, I was trying to bring my Armco up in visual fidelity--I had only been using 'Bump Spec Map T1' previously, and I wanted to add some reflectivity to them to make them more metallic-looking. It'd just be nice to not have to play switcheroo with the .scn file output in case I accidentally overwrite the original (hence the QuickScene).

Thanks, that'd be great! :D

Yes, definitely. I come from Softimage|XSI, which had them built in from the very beginning, so they're very much part of my workflow. I'm thinking though, that I may have to change the way I organize things a slight bit to work better with outputting to rF2.

At this point, I don't really like the idea of re-generating EVERYTHING, as it may cause some bugs here and there. For instance, I have some barriers that have the visible geo linked to the collision object in Max (so I can just click on the collision object and move that into place and the visible geo moves along with it); so when I go to export those, I have to first unlink the visible geo, export, then undo the unlink (otherwise, all of the visible geo ends up at the origin). So, since those are all set in place now, obviously, it'd be a pain to do that every time I want to make a small change to something else, which is why I don't want to be overwriting the main .scn file.