No longer able to start, missing Core UI v1.0

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by Voodoo Pizzaman, Jan 6, 2016.

1. Voodoo Pizzaman

Voodoo Pizzaman Registered

Nothing changed at all between the last time I started rF2 and now, other than getting the error 'Core component Core UI v1.0 is missing, invalid or damaged. Please reinstall rFactor.'

Which I've done, twice. The first time I did a simple reinstall, which wouldn't allow me to start because I had no mods installed. No mods would install because each one had an error writing to manifest file.

I did a clean uninstall/reinstall next, and now I'm getting the original Core UI v1.0 error again. Can anyone just link me to the Core UI rfcmp to install myself? This is ridiculous.

2. Voodoo Pizzaman

Really, any help would be nice..

3. TPG

TPG Registered

Try downloading and installing an rF2 Lite install over your current install, it should restore the Core UI file..

4. Voodoo Pizzaman

Already tried, and just tried again to make sure I hadn't done anything wrong, and still doesn't work. Not only that, but all my package files are now missing. Hoping I won't need those again because they've been amassed over 3.5 years of owning rF2.

5. redapg

redapg Registered

As TPG said, install the Lite Version over your existing one. That installs the missing Files.
    And your package Files are still there (if you didn't delete them).
    Just add the Path to the Folder (if it isn't selectable in the Dropdown) in that they are stored, at the bottom-line of the Local Content Tab.
    And run the game "as Administrator", that will solve the Problem with the inability to write manifest Files.

And if you still have Problems, move the whole ..\UserData folder to e.g. the Desktop as Backup, then start rF2 and let it create new User Files.

6. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Sounds like it's looking in the wrong folder now. Check where your files actually are (as said above, they won't be gone) and work out where the game is now putting stuff. Chances are they don't match.

*And also check access/admin/UAC settings, in case it can't write to the folder you're pointing it to.

7. Voodoo Pizzaman

Something I've done a lot already, but to prove that this isn't the problem, here I'll go again:
    View attachment 19074

They're gone, and I didn't delete them:
    View attachment 19075

And just to prove I didn't wipe everything, here's what my /Installed/Vehicles folder looks like (just as an example of what I actually had before this mess started):
    View attachment 19076

Here's what that looks like, the path for which I have not changed, and has not changed, ever:
    View attachment 19077

Also note that in that image, which is sorted by file type, the only UI in that list. Not the Core UI, even after reinstalling.

View attachment 19078

Sorry to get all b****y about this but I've just about had it with rF2's inane file structure and the errors it's caused through seemingly no fault of my own that I can ascertain. It seems to me that the only thing I did wrong was start rF2, because, and I mean this honestly, I made no changes/installs/mods to the game from the previous time I used it until this point.

Additionally, no UAC changes helped this situation, either.

8. redapg

redapg Registered

If you would allow me to join your machine over "Teamviewer", send me a PM.

9. Voodoo Pizzaman

Like I said, I've changed nothing about the location of folders/documents or where rF2 points to locations. All of this occurred with no input from me. But the Core folder is in Documents, and it's also in the program files file too:
    View attachment 19089

10. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

WRONG !!

You guys make everything harder. lol ;)

1. DELETE or MOVE your rFactor2

( by the sound of you , you ain't got good backups anyways............. )

2. DO NOT UNINSTALL IT THERE IS NO NEED WHATSOEVER.

3. INSTALL A FRESH LITE BUILD BACK TO YOUR ORIGINAL FOLDER NAME

doh and ............ it works, miracle. lol ;)
    ( now copy back to the new install your controller, setups, skins ...whatever )

***The only reason I know that it would not work is you have let Windows associate *.JSON files.

P.S. Anyone uses program files or C Drive or documents IS a BLOODY DOPE.

;)

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 16, 2016
  11. Voodoo Pizzaman

Again, because nobody seems to be understanding me, I've changed absolutely nothing from the defaults.

12. Voodoo Pizzaman

Here's the fix.

Had my brother download the Lite installer, install on his own computer, then send me the Core.mas file that was in his program files/rfactor2/Core/UIData folder. Placed the fresh core.mas file into my own program files/rfactor2/Core/UIData folder, and into my documents/rfactor2/Core folder just to be safe, and the rF2 started. Now everything's working.

Now, what caused the problem? How did 5+ attempts at reinstallation continuously put a corrupted Core.mas file into my folder?

13. Voodoo Pizzaman

That was the second thing I tried in the OP. I can't say for certain that it wasn't like that before I did the uninstall/delete, but it certainly was afterwards. Besides, having multiple installs wasn't the problem. The problem was the corrupted/missing Core UI, and replacing it was the fix. It's not like I did anything to the Core UI myself.

14. eee

eee Registered

IS THERE STILL PEOPLE HERE? IM STILL GETTING THIS PROB

15. stratman

stratman Registered

I've made a new installation in another disc and I don't have any problem starting rF2, but when I launch Dedicated Server that message appears. To make it work I copy the two files (defaultui.mas and rFactor2UI.mft) from the Core/UIData in the old installation and past them in the Core/Uidata of the new installation.
    When I start rFactor2 the same problem, so I need to restore the two files that I backed up previously and rF2 works.
    Would it be possible to avoid these steps and have everything work as before?
    This was not happening before creating the new rF2 on my new solid state drive
    Thanks.