No ffb with Arduino-based DIY FFB wheel...

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by Dan-Ove Brantholm, Dec 27, 2017.

1. Dan-Ove Brantholm

Dan-Ove Brantholm Registered

It works ok in Live For Speed, but in rfactor2 I have no feedback. The hardware is based on Arduino Leonardo and seems to be used quite widely, but obviously not together with rfactor2 (or Am I'm the only one who have this problem?). The author names himself "Etienne".
    I have tried a couple of work arounds described for other "problem" wheels, with no success. Everything except the feedback works.

Found some similar(?) issue with project cars here
    http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/archive/index.php/t-44401.html

2. Marcel Offermans

Marcel Offermans Registered

Can you tell us more about this Arduino based hardware? And/or maybe post a link to it?

3. Dan-Ove Brantholm

Dan-Ove Brantholm Registered

That was the fastest (unexpected!) response I ever got from a support!!! The issue seems to be solved in a later release that I got for the moment. Sorry for taking you time... But if you are interested, here is one link:
    http://www.racingfr.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=49848

The issue was that what I understand is that rfactor2 doesn't use any of the "pre-programmed" ffb functions included in the ffb specifications, it just sends "raw" data. Maybe you can confirm this?
    For a amateur like me, it actually sounds like it should be possible to simplify the firmware for the ffb equipment.
    After my purchase of rfactor2, it feels like all other "sims" i had before became arcade games.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2017
  4. Marcel Offermans

Marcel Offermans Registered

You're welcome and we indeed don't rely on "canned" FFB effects.

Prodigy likes this.
  5. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

That what I thought but I still have no other explanation apart from a canned effect to the fact that when a car is flying in the air it shows a very intense FFB pulling to the sides and reacting to wheel input.

I hope there is a better explanation to it.

Rastas likes this.
  6. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

Math can overwhelm physics if the results of a calculation are outside either the expected norms or the restricted range set for those results.

GTR2 had a feature where you could raise or lower the car a tiny bit to improve the look of the car as it moved around a track. i.e. look more natural on the track, not fancier or prettier. The notes for that indicated it had zero physics interaction, but I found you could exagerate that line and produce a car that would stand on it's rear bumper while at rest. Clearly a physics crisis.

I'm guessing that when a car is 'flying,' whatever calculations are used for ffb, are getting ... for want of a better term.... a null result and that is producing chaos within the ffb output.

7. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

The tires of a car can be off the ground in several circumstances. When that happens tires have no load which is the main force acting on the steering system apart from the wheel input. When in that situation FFB appears to be different from null is because certainly some canned effect is being introduced. If tires are not providing FFB something else must be causing it. You can think what tou want though. Placebo effect works great in simracing.