No brake lights in any open wheel car

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by Eric Statkevicus, Jul 5, 2019.

1. Eric Statkevicus

Eric Statkevicus Registered

When I race against the AI, none of the brake lights work (they don't light) when the cars in front of me brake. At first I noticed it in the Formula E cars, but I also see the same problem with the new Tatuus cars. All other cars work fine, and I've tried a bunch of different graphic settings with no luck. Does the brake light not work on any open wheel car? They work on the real Formula E cars, so I think that would be really odd if it didn't work correctly in the game, when all other cars work fine.

2. Coutie

Coutie Moderator Staff Member

Most open wheel cars don't have brake lights, including formula e. They have lights that come on when harvesting energy though.

bwana likes this.
  3. Lazza

Lazza Registered

@Eric Statkevicus I wish you were in our league a few years ago, we had the rainlight flashing on an animated loop (to mimic harvesting, though if you paid attention it happened anywhere), I think you might have been someone I could beat if you thought it was a brakelight :p

As Coutie says, open wheelers don't have brake lights. When following into corners just brake a little earlier and ease off the pedal once you can judge how quickly they're slowing - with a little practice you can stay very close with little risk of running into them.

Against human drivers it pays to be cautious at first when you get behind someone, till you can learn where and how they brake.

Alex72 and bwana like this.
  4. Eric Statkevicus

Eric Statkevicus Registered

Interesting... @Coutie From my understanding on how Formula E cars work, they are harvesting energy every time they touch the brakes (for that matter, ever time they let off the throttle), so they should always be light every time they brake for a corner... Never seen this in the game

I was unaware with the lower echelons of the Formula 1 ladder if the brake lights work or not. Why are they even there if they never light (non-electric)? I follow NASCAR, and all of their lights are just stickers, but the open wheel cars seem like they have legitimate lights. What's the point?

5. Coutie

Coutie Moderator Staff Member

Harvesting lights don't work yet.
    Other open wheel cars, they're rain lights, and also come on when the pit speed limiter is on.

bwana likes this.
  6. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Their other use in higher FIA series is to be lit green to indicate a rookie driver. But the reason cars have had rear lights for years and years is rain - in heavy spray that's all other drivers can see of a car just in front of them. And sometimes barely even that :)

7. Alex72

Alex72 Registered

Like the guys say the light on open wheelers is there to show the cars behind that someone is in front of them when the conditions are poor like during rain. The spray as mention by Lazza and combined with downpour etc make it hard to see so they have those lights on all the time - not during braking.