Nissan Primera BTCC

Discussion in 'Car Modding' started by patrikmarek, Jul 13, 2015.

1. patrikmarek

patrikmarek Registered

Hey there guys,
    so I finally decided to buy rFactor2, I have been thinking about it for quite a while and while there were still things I wanted to wait for, before jumping on board, I decided to give that a shot.

I'm still entirely new to it, so it will take me quite a while to get up to speed, but I will slowly start experimenting with my mods from AC, and port them into rF2.
    final versions of the mods will be done once those for AC are fully finished though, so don't expect anything too quickly,

I will however want to slowly start learning,

also, at the moment guys doing physics for Primera in AC, are not over here in rF2, so I don't know if they will ever do it or not, but I will also see if there is a way how to "convert" the physics as well ( I put convert into "" because of course there is no direct conversion possible, but I should be able to dig around with some numbers from AC and see how they translate into rF2)

I'm sure I will need any help I can get

I hope rFactor2 community is a good one, and that there aren't many elitist around here,for which it's the only proper sim.
    I like many games in general, even more arcade ones like Grid Autosport. I used to be a game developer, so I know how much hard work goes into any game, so even if I don't like it, I still respect it

I'm also big fan of having all my games on STEAM, so I hope rF2 will eventually get to that platform as well

[​IMG]

2. SripleTix

SripleTix Registered

Patrik, it is great to have you here finally :)

3. PRC Steve

PRC Steve Registered

This is fantastic news, I already dreamt about the Primera in rf2. Thanks for giving it a shot :)

4. Rich Goodwin

Rich Goodwin Registered

Good to see you here. I'm sure people in the know will offer you any required support.

5. Tosch

Tosch Registered

Welcome onboard Patrik. I'm sure you will get plenty of support for your projects. :D

To give you something to start with here are some links with useful information.

Dev corner
    http://rfactor.net/web/rf2/devscorner/

rF2 wiki (WIP)
    http://wiki.rfactor.net/index.php?title=Main_Page

To get an idea of the internal structure I would suggest to install the sdk from the dev corner. It will create your modding environment (rF2DATAfolder\ModDev). You will find an example track (Locations\Joesville) and a vehicle (Vehicles\SkipBarber).

You can add more content to ModDev by extracting installed components (rF2DATAfolder\Installed\Vehicles). The extraction tool is located at "rF2DATAfolder\Support\Tools\MAS2.exe". 3dsmax plugins are in the same folder.
    The first file you might want to look at is the gen-file of the vehicle (scn-file for tracks). Here you will find all the Instances that create the final ingame object and the folder structure where ModDev looks for content.

The MASfile (skipbarber.mas) for the Skip barber is not extracted. It contains all textures and geometry files. For the start I would create a maps folder (SkipBarber\Maps) and extract the content of the mas file to it. The problem is you have now 2 locations with the same content (mas file and maps folder). You can't delete the mas file because it is linked in the gen file (you get an error message for the missing file) and you have to make sure rF2 loads the content from the maps folder (because it contains the files you work with). To avoid trouble ISI suggests to create a new mas file (overwrite the skipbarber.mas) after extracting it and just include a single texture (BLACK.DDS for instance).

6. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

Welcome Patrik! So good to have you here. :)

7. Acestumacher

Acestumacher Registered

Absolutely great to read you are trying rFactor 2 Patrik!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! your Primera will be very welcomed on this format!

8. yusupov

yusupov Registered

great to see you caved patrik :) primera will be a great car.

9. patrikmarek

patrikmarek Registered

thanks a lot for all these tips,
    yep it will take a while to go through all of that, but yeah with helps from you guys I'm sure it will eventually get there

I haven't poked with the dev corner much yet, I first want to setup all the stuff in RF2 to the way I like it, so that I get more faimiliar with the sim etc. and then slowly start working on integrating the car into it.

modding for rf2 does seem quite different then AC, so yeah, it will take me a while

also, from more general point of view,
    at the moment, there won't be anyone for the physics/sounds, so is it possible to have some sort of default physics/ sound and just work on the model in the mean time ?? - again, I guess most of these questions will be answered as I go and make more progress

and thanks guys for the warm welcome,
    it will take a while but I'm sure at least one car will be done.

I also want to see how difficult it would be to do these for both AC and rF2 and see if it's manageable.
    worst case scenario I will talk to someone will will handle the rF2 part for me, but yeah would prefer if our team could handle it as well ( to give those guys credit, because I really only did the visual side of things )

10. Woodee

Woodee Registered

Welcome patrikmarek! :)

11. Associat0r

Associat0r Registered

Good to see you here.

12. patrikmarek

patrikmarek Registered

so here is frist noob question, when I download and istall package, I can delete the pkg ? or do I need to keep both?

at the moment I'm also looking into 3ds max plugins, but some gotcha in there too, I only got max8 and max 2014, and it looks like supported are 10,11 and 12

13. MarcG

MarcG Registered

You can keep the Package or Delete it, I'd recommend keeping it if you have space, if not then you'll have to re-download if you ever need to do a Fresh install from scratch which should be rare. I tend to keep everything for the sake of it!

Speak to Ales from URD about porting from AC -> RF2 as he may be able to assist.

Good to have you on board Patrik, looking forward to your work :)

14. Woodee

Woodee Registered

Who was making the Volvo s40 for AC?

15. peterchen

peterchen Registered

Welcome on board!
    Your work will be very appreciated!
    :):)

16. Rui Santos

Rui Santos Registered

Welcome Patrik, i've been following your work on AC, since i moved to rF2 it's great news to have you here too, and believe me, you won't regret it ;)

17. patrikmarek

patrikmarek Registered

well, I got to say that it feels quite way more complicated so far, then what AC is.

I was setting up my folder, renaming all the files from SkipBarber to NissanPrimeraBTCC, and I got to a point where it says " now you should see it in car picker" , but I don't :-/
    is there some log dir? where I can see what I did wrong ??

I put the files into Dev folder under vehicles. and launching through Dev Mode

18. matf1

matf1 Registered

There is, but I'm not sure it will help you here.
    type Trace=3 in the cli parameters of the launcher for devmode. In your userdata\logs directory there will be a trace.txt created and overwritten each time you start up.

Which doco are you using Patrik?

19. patrikmarek

patrikmarek Registered

I was following

rF2_car_modding_workflow
    there are my files,
    other then that I have the teams, source, max and maps folders there, most of them empty , only the team has a .veh file ( which again I edited accordingly) and dds texture

does anyone see something obvious ?

20. Tosch

Tosch Registered

I will check your files Patrik.