Nissan GTR & 370z

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by matt2507, Mar 1, 2012.

1. Isarmann

Isarmann Registered

Please do try turning off AI Limit, even if you don't go for the line smoothing. Our more in-depth discussion about AI weakness in a few other threads did seem to establish that this "limiting" is what causes them to slow down periodically. The note in the file says something about "for closer racing", but I believe it can be best understood as a form of rubber-banding.

To me, the funny thing about it is, the racing is actually closer with it off, at least for me. Absent me messing them up, the entire pack will stay together like a train; trading positions, etc. I don't know what part the player's driving has in it, but for me the field ends up more spread out with limiting on.

2. MarcG

MarcG Registered

AI limiter keeps the pack close together and has nothing to do with mistakes, AI mistakes is for that but my findings are that AI mistakes should be just turned off as their "mistakes" are just simply turning off the track randomly and not actually locking up/missing the apex/spinning on track etc

3. TIG_green

TIG_green Registered

I have seen plenty off locking up and sliding/spinning.

I also wanted to say that Nissan 370Z feels as good as before for me (T500 RS wheel here). Not sure if it's slower than before but does it matter if it's same for all of us...

4. MarcG

MarcG Registered

that's good then, what mod and track? any specific areas on the track? or generally anywhere?

5. TIG_green

TIG_green Registered

At least in Putnam Park and In Texas World Speedway. Mods...hmmm... try Skip Barber, Corvette, Nissan GTR, Mercedes saftey car for example. Sure there is more. I'm not saying they are making mistakes all the time but there are usually some in a race. Of course it depends on which kind of a race it is. Sometimes you can have an impact on whether or not they have to push and make mistakes.

6. MarcG

MarcG Registered

ok ta mate will check it out, I only had the setting at 0.02, anything higher and the random driving off track got worse, could always depend on the AIW too, will have a play later :)

7. tjc

tjc Registered

These are lines in the Player being mentioned in previous posts.

Auto Line Smooth="3" // 1 = fastest line, 2 = inside/outside, 3 = fastest and inside/outside

AI Limiter="0.00000" // Range: 0.0 (no limiting) - 1.0 (limiting used to make racing closer but also make more driver differences on flat-out tracks)

AI Mistakes="0.02000" // a range of (intentional) AI mistakes from 0.0 (none) to 1.0 (sometimes). Anything above 1.0 multiplies the frequency

As you can see, I`ve set the AI Mistakes to 0.02000... I`ve found that anything above that causes the AI to throw themselves randomly left or right into the nearest armco, as MarcG also said... hardly representative of a "mistake" imo.

8. TIG_green

TIG_green Registered

Yeah, but it also says INTENTIONAL mistakes. I have this set to 0.0.

9. tjc

tjc Registered

Yeh I know it says "intentional"... they are AI though so any mistake they make will be intentional or "programmed" to a certain point anyway...

With it set to 0 they never, ever make any mistakes and seem able to catch any slide or control any amount of contact they get which imo is not realistic at all.

With it set to 0.02000 they do make (intentional) mistakes but don`t just commit suicide...

10. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

I messed around with that value before and the result is hilarious. Mid-corner and AI will just yank the wheel and drive off into a barrier!

11. TIG_green

TIG_green Registered

This just isn't true.

12. MarcG

MarcG Registered

with mistakes on 0.0 I do see ai crash into each other occasionally and a yellow flag at other times, might need to watch the ai for a race tonight and take a closer look.

13. tjc

tjc Registered

First off I don`t really care to be called a liar... it may not be your experience with that value but it is certainly mine.

14. TIG_green

TIG_green Registered

And I don't like things presented as a fact even though they aren't. Your experience may be lacking depth. And you didn't say "in my experience" you said "never, ever". But I don't want to argue or to be rude. My intention wasn't to call you a liar but to express that you might want to reconsider your statment.

I admit that anyones experiences can't be wrong.... but if somebody have seen mistakes with AI mistake level (intentional mistakes) at 0.0, then that can't be wrong either.

More theoratically: saying AI can not make any other than intentional mistakes because it's programmed is a false statment. Why? Because AI still reacts to its surroundings (racing situations). AI can make unintentional mistakes for several reasons: if you block him, if he blocks you, any passing situation. I have also seen Ai pushing too hard and spinning (nothing like suddenly steering to the left or right against a barrier). I have seen AI sliding...sometimes they catch a slide, sometimes they don't.

15. tjc

tjc Registered

I presented it as I see it and that is that they never make "mistakes" with that value set to 0... what`s the point of it being there or being able to edit it if it doesn`t do anything?

Player:

AI Mistakes="0.02000" // a range of (intentional) AI mistakes from 0.0 (none) to 1.0 (sometimes). Anything above 1.0 multiplies the frequency

If that value is set 0 and the AI still make "mistakes" then it`s not working... imo...

I don`t really want to argue about this either, I simply took exception to being called a liar... maybe you could chose your words more carefully in future.

In my experience the AI so rarely made mistakes of any kind until I changed that value... when first edited it caused them to do little more than spin off into the barriers in a very unrealistic way. With it set to 0.02000 they now do make mistakes that seem a little more natural (to me)

I accept the AI "react" to contact and their surroundings but it`s programmed (for want of a better word) to do that, even if they may then react to each situation differently...

16. TIG_green

TIG_green Registered

It does have an effect, it makes them to do intentional mistakes :D It seems that we understand the concept of intentional mistakes differently.

I don't see the point of that command line. Anybody in racing shouldn't make intentional mistakes. Not sure about the word in english, but the line should say something about the sensitiviness to make mistakes.

And I try to choose my words better. Shouldn't write in hurry.

17. MarcG

MarcG Registered

at work but isn't there a variable in the talent files for mistakes? Can't remember, either way another reason for a quick guide on ai values from someone at ISI ;)

18. TIG_green

TIG_green Registered

took a quick look and didn't find any single value for this but there is some values that can maybe combined affect this.

19. tjc

tjc Registered

lol... :D

We may indeed have a different understanding of that line. I have however found a difference after editing it. I think it`s there (the line) to try and help the AI behave in a more "realistic" manner, IE make some mistakes now and again as human drivers definitely do make mistakes now and again...

I agree it could maybe be made more clear as to what it`s going to do though...

The AI need a lot of work yet imo and hopefully ISI will give them the attention they need, I think it`s one of the things they work on with each build.

Glad we understand each other now TIG. :)

20. YoLolo69

YoLolo69 Registered

Thanks for copying those lines here tjc! I was searching for those lines as I read several posts talking about those interesting changes.

I'll test that tonight! :)