NGTR

Discussion in 'ISI cars and tracks' started by MikeeCZ, Apr 17, 2014.

1. MikeeCZ

MikeeCZ Registered

ok i have been with rF for some time now as i have been wating to ask about this for very long.
    My very first rf2 race was in NGTR and i found it to be a very very tricky car to drive on its limits, its just about year and a half now i think ive been pratising and in some classes got above avarage speed racing the fastest, at some other cars i really suck, what I am trying to say is that ive had my fair deal of driving.
    and even after such long, i find the NGTR to be extremelly unstable and close to undrivable car, even with low TC on as the torque it self would not be some much of a problem. The problem is that the car simply looses control on every minor bump, its rear shoots away out of control. Tried to go around pleclairs Nordschleife, vicents conversion of Toban and I just cannot keep the car under control for long when going a bit fast. I ve used all of my knowledge of setup changes (not that it would be any good knowledge) and i still cant get a knack to it.

I do realize that racing cars are extremly difficult to drive and only profesional shoud be able to get the most out of them, but i dont have such issues in other cars, is the NGTRs physics somewhat faulty or is it trully by design like this?

Thanks

2. MapleHamwich

MapleHamwich Registered

Not commenting on the rest of your post, only the above quote, and I completely disagree. Race cars are not "extremely difficult" to drive. And they are definitely not limited to Professional drivers abilities. Pro drivers will always be able to get more out of the car than an amateur driver, but amateur drivers are more than prevalent in motorsport. In fact, they drive a large portion of motorsport events.

As far as difficulty, take the "F1" of touring cars in the DTM series. Here's Chris Harris (who is by no means a slouch of a driver, but not a pro) driving the BMW M3 DTM within 1.5 seconds of the Pro driver Bruno Spengler. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLTxwpsj3Y4

In fact, in the FIA GT3 European Championships (2006-2012) here was the restrictions on being a driver for the series:
    Drivers
    The drivers in FIA GT3 are not on the same level as those in FIA GT, in that they are intended to be more amateur drivers than the professionals who are hired in FIA GT. The term gentleman driver is that most commonly used to describe the drivers in FIA GT3. However, in order to ensure that the drivers in FIA GT3 are of amateur status, the FIA put into place rules regarding what determines a driver's skill level. [1]

Drivers under the age of 55 who fit the following criteria are not allowed in FIA GT3:

* Has held an FIA Super Licence or Grade A License.
    * Has finished in the Top 10 in Formula 3000, A1 Grand Prix, GP2, Indy Racing League, or Champ Car World Series. (Though * Formula 3000, A1 Grand Prix, and Champ Car are all defunct currently, the regulations for those are still in effect because drivers who participated in those series may still be active in other disciplines.)
    * Has finished in the Top 6 of any international or national Formula 3 championship.
    * Has won the 24 Hours of Le Mans outright.
    * Has been a hired works driver for a major automobile manufacturer.
    * Has achievements or performances which, according to the SRO and FIA, deem that individual a professional racing driver.
    * Exception to this is that drivers over the age of 45 can petition the SRO and FIA to be allowed to race even with prior professional experience.

So while they would likely have experience racing, they were by no means professional drivers, but they were competitively racing in high performance race cars.

Again, the point of my post being, the idea that driving race cars is beyond the average enthusiast driver is wrong. They should be able to competently handle the vehicle at race speeds. The difference between amateur enthusiasts and professional drivers is that of a matter of seconds per lap. Perhaps as many as 10-30 seconds per lap. However, the amateur driver if driving within their capacity, shouldn't be spinning out of every corner. The perception in sim racing that driving these cars should be exceedingly difficult is just plain wrong. As long as the driver is using proper driving and race theory/craft, they should be perfectly able to reach decent lap times with the cars.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 17, 2014
  3. cosimo

cosimo Registered

I somewhat disagree. I find the NGTR quite "easy" to drive. The Corvette is much more sensitive to input for example.
    I don't think there's anything wrong with the GTR, actually I love how you can push it and still catch the backend sliding.
    As with every car, we should try to not overdrive it.

4. D.Painter

D.Painter Registered

+1
    Great post. Good to see that not all think if it's not extremely hard to drive it's not realistic!

5. D.Painter

D.Painter Registered

Yes I think your right. You do need to drive within the abilities of the car, not only yourself.

6. Valter Cardoso

Valter Cardoso Registered

This.

7. MikeeCZ

MikeeCZ Registered

its not even the input i am having troubles with.. its more like very minor bump in corners when there is some amout of sideways load on rear tyres results in loss of controll, like on pleclairs Nordschailfe i find it almost impossible to go around when going reasonable fast. As to react to amateur drivers - you are right, but this is more like GT1 thing i meant, GT3 are a lot easier and DTM are simply massive downforce, that is basicly all the cars are about.
    The Corvette is ALMS GT2 and those cars do race with TC, so make sure you turn your TC on if you want the Vette realistic, and with TC the Vette behaves very nicely even on track outs
    But as i said i tried the GTR even with medium TC and its not that i am spining tyres when tracking out, its simply that the car does loose control over bumps and such, alteast it does for me :-/ everything else i really love about it in rf2

8. bwana

bwana Registered

I think it has a lot to do with setup, I don't drive these that often but still enjoy the car, a few days back joined a server and was running about 3 seconds a lap faster than others, Im no alien by a long stretch but the others seemed to be really struggling, when I shared my set ( which was given to me some time ago) the other drivers gained more than 2 seconds per lap and no doubt a little tweak here and there for their own style would have been on my times. all said they enjoyed the set and where gratefull. Ive had it myself in a number of cars when a set Ive been working on was headed in the complete wrong direction and when given anothers sest gained massive chunks of time and the cars felt 10 times better. Just a thought

9. kiko0602

kiko0602 Registered

yea i think its setup that make you feel like this and your driving technique..
    so i can suggest you to play with FAST bump & rebounds,so if car oversteers over bump harden front fast dampers or soften rear,
    if understeers harden rear fast dampers or soft front.try step by step and see if this helps,but this is just fine tuning,you will need good base setup for your driving style if isi default dont fits you.

here is some more adjustments with fast dampers:

lost of adherence over bumps and curbs
    solution:slightly soften both front & rear fast dampers

car bounces over bumps resulting in lost of grip
    solution:slightly harden both front & rear fast dampers

10. Jamie Shorting

Jamie Shorting Registered

You mean like this?

First time I drove that car in probably a month. The video starts of me coming out of the pits, my fastest lap was at least 4 seconds off pace and the car IS easy to drive like that. I never understand or even try to anymore when people say rFactor2 is too hard.

Edit: Default set btw. I didn't touch fuel or anything.

11. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

Sounds like the OP had a bad setup on the car. Dampers and toe make a big difference and if you are having that much trouble over bumps, that's your problem (assuming it's not bottoming out)

A racing car in a sim should not be hard to drive. It should be extremely hard to drive on the limit of adhesion however.

12. K Szczech

K Szczech Registered

I wanted to try Nissan GTR in new builds, because I haven't driven it for a year or so. This thread made me finally give it a try.

I took it to Silverstone with default setup and just went on lapping. No TC, no ABS - just pure fun. After some time I was starting to push for faster and faster laps, getting more consistent. I ran out of fuel and didn't spin once, despite going a bit sideways several times.

I guess it's easier for those of us that have certain driving style and yours doesn't seem that far off from mine. You don't toss the car around, but rather apply your inputs progressively.

13. Esteve Rueda

Esteve Rueda Registered

It's all about to start driving smooth and with care if you have no idea how to drive a specific car. Every time a test a new car I go out of pits, I break early, I apply throttle slowly... meanwhile I start to feel how the car reacts and can start to understand how in works. After some laps I feel comfortable I push more, and more, and more, untill I get race times.

I allways say the problem with "hard" sims It's not about exaggerated difficult, It's only lack of feeling, lack of information. You do not get from a sim even a portion of information and feeling you get from a real car. What happens to most people when try a new car in rF, rF2, iR...? they push like crazy, they do not stop to think they are not feeling anything about the car is doing, people turn the wheel and they expect the car to turn like pro drivers. And that is the wrong way to start, you need to learn the little information you can get from the sim and then start to drive correctly.

And if after a year you are having problems... ask for a setup or try to improve your driving techniques. I'm in a league, and even slower drivers are able to drive every car they try. Maybe slowest driver is 3 seconds behind they first one, but he is able to race not crashing, he can not push more because he do not practiced as much as others or because simply is less talented... but as I said, they are all able to drive the car around a track in their times.

14. [NAR]Steve

[NAR]Steve Registered

I find this car hard to control also, so if anyone would care to share a STABLE setup, I would appreciate it. :)