Newbie to try VR; lots of questions.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Navigator, Jun 19, 2018.

1. Navigator

Navigator Registered

Hi guys,

Lately I have been thinking of VR. The problem is that I don't have any knowledge of it; I never kept up with the "new things" and developments.
    So I searched the internet and came up with.......more questions!

I found the name "Oculus" and that sounded familiar so I looked those up;
    - Oculus rift
    - Oculus
    - something with all kinds of "touch"
    - Oculus Go
    - Oculus rift DK 1 or 2

The "Go" looked to me the best; it has a processor and "32GB"......but is the cheapest? I must be missing something.
    I have no idea what to buy, how it works, how to install (somewhere I read there needs to be a FaceBook account or something else??)
    I would just use it for rF2 and so I thought those "handles" won't be needed.

I even looked trough the topic in this forum, but "you guys" know a lot about these kind of things and for a total "I know nothing" it was not understandable.

So my questions;
    - what to buy?
    - can I just plug it in the via card (GTX 680) and play?
    - what to look for?
    - any tips, hints or tricks?

Anything you want to share will almost certainly be new to me so please; spill it out ;)

2. tlsmikey

tlsmikey Registered

Oculus Rift is the best VR headset on the market right now for performance, comfort and software (asynchronous time warp). The Oculus Go is a low end pile of junk for a different market.

The biggest problem you have is that a GTX680 isn't gonna have nearly enough power for VR. You need a 980TI at the absolute minimum for most games and I would say that a 1070GTX is much more realistic for any reasonable performance. In addition to that, CPU is usually a bottleneck for most sims so you'll need a top end CPU like an i7-7700K or better to get really good performance out of it.

In summary, i'm betting you have some hardware challenges at the moment and I wouldn't recommend you upgrade to VR until you get a CPU/GPU upgrade.

Seven Smiles likes this.
  3. GrimDad

GrimDad Registered

The Go is a stand alone VR headset & will not work for simracing on a pc.
    The DK versions are old "Development Kits.
    Oculus Rift CV1 is recommended and comes with "Touch" controllers.
    https://www.oculus.com/rift/
    Scroll down to recommended & minimum spec's & in the blue banner is a download to test your pc.
    If you already have low fps in rfactor 2 then you will struggle.

It requires 3x usb 3's & 1 HDMI input plus you still need your monitor connected.
    It doesn't just plug & play, it requires a little setting up but to run rF2 requires a pretty newish pc and good graphic card.

I also agree with tlsmikey's summary....but there is plenty of good advice on this forum should you decide to spend.

https://forum.studio-397.com/index.php?threads/rfactor2-the-vr-thread-settings-tips.55249/
    Some of the info on this thread is out of date but is very useful. Long read though but you can skip through it.

A word of warning, this thread will make you want it....He explains the experience very well.
    https://forum.studio-397.com/index.php?threads/oculus-rift-cv1-first-impressions.53552/
    Thanks MarcG I owe you a beer.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2018
  4. MarcG

MarcG Registered

I have a GTX970 and can run all sims and other VR games just fine, not always at 90 fps though but that's where ASW is a massive help.

I'm not sure on the GTX 680 comparison to mine.

GrimDad likes this.
  5. Narrowbackwing

Narrowbackwing Registered

Just my two cents , if at all possible see if you can get a demo somewhere , a shop a friend ? , some people find it an uncomfortable experience , oculus CV1 is one of the better Vr sets and incredible support , easy setup , I find it truely wonderful and have been using Vr ONLY the last 4 years .

Also you need a decent Pc / and powerful gpu to get the best out of Vr .

I wish it was my first time all over again , totally blown away by Vr .

GrimDad likes this.
  6. Daniele Vidimari

Daniele Vidimari Registered

Before spend a huge amount of money (vr headset, gpu, cpu..) my advice is: try it! I tried few headset in the last year, HTC vive, Oculus DK2 & CV1. The 1st time was with the DK2 in iRacing, hell, i got nausea in the same moment i put it on my eyes, never want to try it again.
    Then i tried the HTC vive and i enjoyed it a lot, but playing an fps style game, no nausea, even if i was playing standing up.
    Finally, 2 months ago, i tried the CV1 with rFactor 2, huge improvements, zero nausea, but i made an entire lap @ the Nordschleife with steamy lenses because my nose went inside the rift :oops: I don't know if i have a strange nose or the headset was badly set, i was the only one with this issue (we were in 6).

I really like the immersion, i want one for myself, but i really don't like how it looks. With the CV1 they made huge improvements, but still not enough for what i like and so i'm waiting for the next generations. Also, i don't know if i'd use it in multiplayert tbh, in a sprint race yes, but in a race where i have to pit, press multiple buttons etc, hmm..

7. Seven Smiles

Seven Smiles Registered

It works fairly well with my 1080 but I have to be careful with settings so I'd guess the 680 would struggle:
    Code:
                       GeForce GTX 680 GeForce GTX 1080
    G3D Mark           5678                        12277

MarcG likes this.
  8. Seven Smiles

Seven Smiles Registered

9. Highlandwalker

Highlandwalker Registered

If you can, try VR before you make any decision. I tried VR on a playstation 4 and it really made me feel ill for about 2hrs. If you can read a book or map read as passenger in a car you would probably OK. I think it's the slightly rocking motion of the horizon with VR that causes the sickness, in real life the horizon is fixed. One last note, the price of a 1080 card is horrendous at the moment. Defiantly try before you buy.

10. GrimDad

GrimDad Registered

I hated the graphics of it at first as you can see the pixel lines...like if you get very close to your TV and a fair amount of long distance blurring. I nearly took it back on the same day but once you start driving with it and concentrating on hitting apexes it really becomes great.
    Now I couldn't drive without it. It is a learning curve and a bit frustrating in the beginning but thanks to the users on this forum I got it sorted. Thanks guys!

The only time I've felt a slight sickness feeling is when I thought I was falling out my truck in euro truck sim while looking out the window.
    I never tried one before buying but came close to PM'ing MarcG to try to get an invite as it was his fault I wanted one and he lives close ish.
    ;) but lucky for him I'm shy.

Narrowbackwing likes this.
  11. Eddy

Eddy Registered

I have got one Wim, and i know it's a long drive for you but you're welcome to come by and give it a go.

Try before buy is the best advice and i also think your pc will struggle.

E.

Kelju_K, Narrowbackwing and GrimDad like this.
  12. Seven Smiles

Seven Smiles Registered

For me it was the space walk sim - one step out of the hatch and :oops:

GrimDad likes this.
  13. Korva7

Korva7 Registered

Yep, better try it before buying. One of my friends got very nauseated after just two laps of driving.

I have got the impression that people with oculus rift have more problems getting rf2 to run smoothly compared to htc vive users.
    Not sure why would that be though.

14. Navigator

Navigator Registered

Thank you all for your advise!!

I tested my system with the program; it says a "V-" for the CPU and a "X" for the GPU........
    So; thats going to be a lot of money! So I wait a while for all of that to buy.
    But I now know; try first! And I will; I'm pretty sensitive to monitors anyway and this being closer to your eyes even; I never thought of it but its something I will (have to) do.

So; I'm wiser, thanks all!

15. Kelju_K

Kelju_K Registered

as a realtively new rift user, i'd say it's a very nice toy. i enjoy flying WWII birds with it the most (incredible feeling! and shooting with stereo vision is tons easier) but im thinking of going back to monitor for driving. im still 1.5 seconds slower in vr but i think that would get better in time. BUT, i'm accustomed to see the apex well from further distance that vr allows. that is my biggest complain about VR driving. and i get more eye strain from driving than for flying or VR shooters. i dunno why that is...
    im also lucky to not have vr sickess in sims but walking in shooters makes me sick a bit so i prefer teleporting as a movement option. that leaves out of mp shooters but im ok with that.
    Try it out definately before buying. and try to get at least an hour playtime in it.
    I love the thing, and im happy that i got it. but if i would only play racing sims i would wait for the next gen devices.

best wishes
    Kel

16. Jerry Schuryk

Jerry Schuryk Registered

For those of you that got sick after one try...so did I. I had to go slow - as little as 15 minutes at a time, a couple of times per day for the first several days. Now I can race for many hours at a time with no ill effects at all. But I still can't read in a real car.

I recently dropped mine and it broke (quite honestly, I've dropped it many times with no problems.until this time) - after a couple of races on my monitors, I went and bought a new Oculus because the experience is that much better.

Jerry

Seven Smiles likes this.