New visual damages

Discussion in 'Car Modding' started by Slow Motion, Dec 20, 2017.

1. Slow Motion

Slow Motion Registered

Just few quick info here on BASIC rules to be followed. Once the new feature will be fully developed, Studio 397 will provide detailed info.
    Take in mind I'm not the most entitled person to explain in a professional way, but following these easy rules, visual damages will work:
    1. the shader to be used for items (mainly the body) you want to be affected by "scratches" is named "Car body paint with damage", to be not confused with the usual "Car paint with damage" (the new one contains the word "body")
    2. this new shader contains same layers/levels/channels (call them as you prefer depending of the software you use) of the old one
    3. take in mind that by default it uses the same UV space mapping (3dsMax)
    4. the textures to be used to reveal scratches are (as named into the very used 3DSimED3) the "Diffuse Map T2" (named as Channel 1 in 3DSimED3) and its "Normal/Bump" texture (named as Channel 5 in 3DSimED3)

5. into the GEN file the item that will must show scratches in case of accident, must be tagged "Damageable=true" (currently works also "Deformable=true)

Known limitation, at the moment, is that new visual damages feature doesn't work with detachable (DEBRIS instance into GEN file) items.
    To keep it easy it is much better to add items you want to be scratchable only into the main instance SLOT<ID>

I use a S397 texture that can be adapted to specific needs: here just a sample of the damage textures...
    CARBODYSHADER.jpg

Slamfunk3, Nibiru, SPASKIS and 11 others like this.
  2. Suzukinol

Suzukinol Registered

What about rain drops? Is it possible to add them too?

3. Slow Motion

Slow Motion Registered

When next public build will be ready...

Ari Antero and yoss like this.
  4. yoss

yoss Registered

TY marco

Slow Motion likes this.
  5. Rastas

Rastas Registered

Thank you :)

6. Carr

Carr Registered

I am confused, we need to use a new shader that is exactly the same as the old for scratching to work? If they are the same then why the change?

7. Slow Motion

Slow Motion Registered

I explained exactly the contrary:
    1. the shader to be used for items (mainly the body) you want to be affected by "scratches" is named "Car body paint with damage", to be not confused with the usual "Car paint with damage" (the new one contains the word "body")

As you can see names are different

8. Slow Motion

Slow Motion Registered

I must add that, with the new public build of last night, we have now one more "channel" into the "Car body paint with damage" shader...

EDIT: uhmmm now I see it has another name... "Car body paint + damage + rain", but, for instance, in 3DSimED3 it has seen with the old name. In addition, also the additional temporary folder for "hardwareshaders" that can be manually managed, gets a lot of errors... So we must wait for an update, in case of use of 3DSimED

Last edited: Dec 22, 2017
  9. Slow Motion

Slow Motion Registered

Please look at the EDIT in my previous post and yes, in 3DSimED "channels" (we have to say that the word "channel" is not very appropriate) are now 7: 1 "primary texture max" and 6 more "channels"

10. Carr

Carr Registered

This is a big part of the reason that I have all but given up on the mod I was working on. They announce all new shiny and fancy features which they put on their own cars and is working but won't tell the modding community how it works or what to use when stuff has changed.

Not sure if there is a language barrier or something but I have trouble following you clearly. Let me see if I got this right.

The old proposed damage system from 2012 using "Car Paint with Damage" won't have working damage, so any cars that were using that in preparation for the implementation of damage need to update their mod. A lot of people weren't using this shader any more due to the damage not working as well as limiting the paint effects you could use on liveries such as chrome.

The new shader used, without announcing they changed the shader, on the GT3's was "Car Body Paint with Damage". Is the only functional difference the "damage layers" being UV'ed or is there more to it? How do you control the amount of force needed for damage to appear?

Now the newest shader as of the update adds rain into the equation, again without any information from S397 as to how the rain will interact with the old shaders for body or glass and the same questions from the last one apply and more. Will there be any rain effect without using this shader? Does it also need to be UV'ed? Does it give us any control over the effect? Basically, what is it and how do we use it.

Within 3 months, there have been 2 changes to the main carbody shader that can have a reasonable impact on older mods meaning they should be updated to suit to be up to S397's standard content. At no time within that time, or the development time before the McLaren was release , was there a single post by S397 to keep us modders up to date with what was happening or at least what was planned despite several threads on here which were ignored. There was even a thread about this and the only post from S397 was telling someone to provide details on their statement when making negative claims about rF2, they didn't even address the topic despite being the only ones who knew the information.

Yes you can get on Discord and ask specific questions, but how is that efficient for them or us. I don't want to have to look back through pages of random comments to possibly find an answer to a question I asked a week ago and that answer doesn't help anyone else. I asked a question here on the forum, waited 5 days for a response before asking in discord with a link to the forum thread. Another member of the forum posted in my thread to say that there was an answer on Discord instead of in the forum. I may not get on Discord for a week, but can check my email for a thread reply on here and take 2 minutes to read it.

Sorry this turned into another rant, but either things need to improve or some of us modders just won't bother anymore.

FlashQld, TheGame316 and Damian Baldi like this.
  11. Slow Motion

Slow Motion Registered

What can I answer? I agree and let me say that I'm soliciting for official DETAILED technical INTELLIGIBLE documentations since month.
    That said, I must admit that everybody at S397 since month is working harder than ever and also that, until they will not finish the whole development of these things, that are all linked together, to produce documentation means to give wrong info wasting time and increasing confusion.

It is not nice for us, but I understand we must wait for a little more.

We can consider this fact like a proof of the S397 new way and we'll understand their intentions looking at when and how they will produce the documentation.

Now, on topic: also the shader car body paint... shows basic reason drops, but not like the newest one. About damages, again, the whole stuff is still in development and about controlling scratches... I suppose the code will control it in the future, but everything can change.

I'm not S397, so please read what I wrote as my meanings on the thread, that's all. Let's time to S397... I'm sure that early in the incoming year, very early, they will produce docs.

And a reminder to all... I can affirm we love what we are doing as well as what S397 is doing and our debate must be seen ONLY in a positive and constructive way.

Now, few days of rest for the festivity!

Damian Baldi and bwana like this.
  12. filippu

filippu Registered

I find you very kind with the devs when you say that they are too busy to write some basic documentation. It's the same art people that was there at ISI for years, and it's not like we were overloaded with information while they were busy releasing one car or track every 6 months.

For example, the question about the new grass shader with sat map, asked in April hasn't been answered.

13. Pauli Partanen

Pauli Partanen Registered

Hi!

I havent much played with Gjed, but is it possible already do make these rain shaders to work there? There was "+rain" and "rain+hack", but some reason I got some kind of error when I tried to save with those.

Most likely problem is me, as I havent ever used the Gjed..

14. Carr

Carr Registered

I have tried to use Gjed, but it felt very unnatural and couldn't find how to do anything for vehicles, looked very much focused at tracks. I even tried opening a .GMT from an updated car and looked at the material list but it only showed 3 textures as opposed to the 6 referenced in 3DSimEd despite it know knowing the shader.