New user interface (by FSR - preview)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Luis Armstrong, Mar 11, 2014.

1. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

Wow... I bet you would have saved a ton of time with that tool. I've looked at OCD files with a text editor and no way in hell would I have the patience for that. Hahaha.

2. Domi

Domi Registered

See, that's the kind of things that I don't understand from ISI. Is it really SO HARD to create some PDF document with at least the very basics ?

3. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

Developers, especially on small teams don't do documentation. All they do is code. It's the kind of task you have to hire someone to come in and do. But even then it is a pain because these people come in and don't know where to start so they have to bug the devs... so then you decide to just do it yourself......... but then you never get the time to. Hahahaha. I work for a small (6 people) dev team and we have the same discussion from time to time. "We need to make some basic documentation so we can remember what we did 3 years down the road".... "Yeah I have been meaning to do that... when I find time I will do it"......

Still no documentation. Hahaha.

4. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

Eduard I have another question/request.

Would it be possible to add (more) admin functionality to the UI?
    There's some basic stuff there already but there are so much commands that we have to type/remember/explain to others.
    I bet most people starting out as hosts/admins wont even know the majority of them and for anyone else it would be such a nice tool to have, just press 'admin' and a popup screen appears....or something like that.
    If only for those with English as their 2nd/3rd language, you wouldn't believe how many times I messed up the /racelength command and wondering why the laps did not adjust :)

You're probably pressed for time and all, maybe not even possible, but i'd thought I throw it in there just the same :)

5. pay2021

pay2021 Registered

At least someone with criteria!

6. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

No need to do that, just be aware that a proper driving or racing position involves looking over the steering wheel, not through it. You might want to fix your problem at the source.

7. Murtaya

Murtaya Registered

Oh I thought the proper position was how I have it, at least 3 other people agree. Guess ISI have the cockpit view all wrong. Could swear it feels and looks pretty close to real the way I have it. I am not looking through the wheel but over it as you say. What I see through the wheel is the speedo like in a real car.

8. Panigale

Panigale Banned

Good UI design is intuitive but a lot has to do with clicks/effort to accomplish a given task.
    e.g. The Weather section is still the same old pain in the butt it has always been. 360 degree toggles for setting temp, humidity, wind speed, would be a lot more useful (and pleasing to look at) than having to click the crap out of arrows to increase/decrease values. Could even consider three concentric circle toggles (labeled) to save space. A similar static sectioned circle (icon labeled) could represent sky conditions. One simple click to select any of the available options and every option is present and known to the user.

It is a race sim so I don't give it much thought or concern. However, these are some of the first pass basic UI design changes to improve interaction speed, appearance, and awareness of options. After that work was done screen layouts would follow. From the comments seems if ISI just changed the current UI to monochromatic everyone would be mostly satisfied. :)

9. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

in seated position I'm sure this user like me does look over his wheel ( & not through it )
    behind the wheel will be the car inner cockpit

but I don't believe there us any fault of this UI ( which us very nice ), the facility to put the UI on either of any of the 3 screens would help

my wheel blocks some of the UI but it really dosnt bother me at all

10. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

not sure how much work it would be to add to thus very nice looking AI just x2 points :

-track loading stays in the UI window (so everything seamless)

-some of (as many of) the main .ini options incorporated into a new "simulator advanced" additional section of the UI
    ( wheels only / wheels & suspension only , sound reverb distance/time, ctrl & M, self in rear view, etc : I could go on )

*****ISI should co-operate here to really make things possible as the general UI is important IMO

11. Domi

Domi Registered

I agree with you on both things, but that's something that only ISI can fix.

12. Valter Cardoso

Valter Cardoso Registered

This would be great.
    List of things i would consider (at least) to add:
    - addpenalty
    - changelaps
    - editgrid
    - w (the private message)
    - Restartwarmup
    - throwyellow/clearyellow

This are the ones wich would make me happy :D

13. Emery

Emery Registered

I think you misunderstood me. There are zillions of posts from the community asking about making tracks and the ISI staff respond to a certain percentage of them. When it comes to editing the UI, there are a handful of posts from the community, so there are a correspondingly small percentage of answers from ISI staff.

What I'm saying is that the community has shown little initiative in modding the UI. There have been a lot of requests for changes, but that isn't the same as modding.

14. Valter Cardoso

Valter Cardoso Registered

Another request/opinion....

It would be of great help if anything scrooling positions/giving times was implemented in track screen (fullscreen mode) while on monitor.
    Leagues wich broadcast their events would be very pleased i suppose.

15. Luis Armstrong

Luis Armstrong Banned

Dear ISI team,

Hope you are seeing how "easy" is to make customers happy.
    If you no planning to change how you make your UI, at least help people that are trying:
    http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php/17433-Save-last-settings

No answer is worst than a negative response.

Go for the basics: triple screen setup, multiview performance, ALT+M in plr file, rain drops on screen, seat pitch setting in game, etc.

Forget about content at least for a few months. I couldn´t care less about karts (even it was my only experience on race track). Delay content releases (we are not AC or pCars community) Let this to the modders, but please help they more than you are actually doing. Release more documentation. Get Tim Weathley more involved with Dev team so he can answer better technical questions or at least put dev team to answer some questions on forum for a few hours per week.

Cheers.

edit: look at staff support in these specific sub-forums
    http://isiforums.net/f/forumdisplay.php/43-Car-Modding
    http://isiforums.net/f/forumdisplay.php/58-User-Interface-and-HUD-Modding
    http://isiforums.net/f/forumdisplay.php/57-Plugins

It´s hard to see that is something wrong with this aproach?

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2014
  16. Domi

Domi Registered

No, it's a matter of proportions. Check only the first page of each subforum, and compare. There are the same exact number of threads about UI than about tracks :)

17. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Judging by the rest of your post, no.

Great ideas, but they lack understanding of our team. Not your fault, but sometimes things just can't happen how you want them to.

18. Luis Armstrong

Luis Armstrong Banned

Well, it´s better than no response. Thanks. lol

19. John.Persson

John.Persson Registered

The UI should expand with more features if it detects 3 screen setups.

So admins get more features and players get more cleaner and better looking stats/UI

20. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

/dq
    /undq

would be helpful as well. (especially the undq so peeps don't have to change cars or upgrades to get themselves undq'd)