New user interface (by FSR - preview)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Luis Armstrong, Mar 11, 2014.

1. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

Thx for replying Eduard, good luck finishing this mighty thing off :)

Questions,
    I see you opted for a larger preview-track-screen. this was one of my wishes as well, the default one is just too tiny. will you keep this in its current (large) form?
    Or will it even be resizable?

In rf1 I used to avoid these kind of add ons, no matter how cool it was, because it would effect performance somehow (laggy menus, slower loading times and sometimes conflicts with other stuff, etc.)
    So can you comment on this? (i.e. does it run as smooth as you want to)

2. Eduard Mallorquí

Eduard Mallorquí Banned

I will look into it, but I don't think it can be changed.

As I said you will have two monitor modes, one with the larger version of the preview-track-screen and another one with a shorter version of the preview-track-screen but a larger timetable. And you will be able to switch between this two modes by clicking to a button.

This is not an add on, this is the UI itself. And for me the UI runs as quick as the default one, it shouldn't have any performance hit.

3. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

Excellent, you are going to make a allot of people very happy :)

4. FuNK!

FuNK! Registered

Really great work Eduard!

Did you made some kind of protocol of your work or something like a cheat-sheet or user-guide or something? Guess providing your knowledge to the community would be really appreciated! At least I would be very pleased if you could jump into the modding section and try to answer some of the open questions :D Maybe we could see even more new UIs in the near future with your assistance ;) To be honest the support by ISI itself is somewhat disappointing at this point :(

Anyhow I'm really looking forward to next previews and of course the release! ;)

5. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

great work & thanks for the communication Eduard,

a track loading screen within the UI cam screen would be great ( if possible ? )
    -so the UI is always present until the user enters the sim car

p.s it would be awfully nice if ISI could collaborate with Eduard where needed & if possible if Eduard dosn't object this UI could be featured as standard within the UI selection options of rf2 ( & be the default ) credits for the UI remain Eduard's (so it's already integrated as standard within rf2 as some people do not download mods or fiddle etc)

6. osella

osella Registered

Fantastic work :cool::cool:

7. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Firstly many thanks for taking the time to create this, it certainly looks very good.

My question: Will you have an extra page somewhere with additonal PLR entries? so as to avoid the need to exit-change plr-restart all the time, I'm thinking of many PLR entries that when ticked in a box on a seprate page the PLR is saved on the fly so no need to exit the game entirely, thanks.

8. Domi

Domi Registered

This should be ISI's work...

Regarding the UI, you guys should take in consideration that most things you are asking for need a change in the game code, Eduard can basically play with the options already given by ISI on his UI (and that alone is already quite a challenge), but that's all.

9. Harmermania

Harmermania Registered

This is outstanding. Thanks so much (in advance).

10. sg333

sg333 Registered

Looks excellent :)

What is sad though, is that it should have been ISI doing this, and not left to the community to make a decent UI.

11. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

On the contrary, ISI might have been correct in not wasting their time fixing the current pig of a UI when a complete re-think like this one was what was really needed. All they have to do now is give Eduard a nice honorarium and ask permission to make it the official UI.

12. PMC

PMC Registered

They (ISI) never were going to redo the UI as far as i'm concerned . rFactor is a moddable platform , including the UI . rFactor 1 had many different community built UI , some good and some not so , why would rF2 be any different . As things progress i'm sure you'll see more .

EDIT: Adding extra functions is not possible unless it's already coded . Only a basic redesign can be done

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 12, 2014
  13. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

I think that is exactly their philosophy.

14. Domi

Domi Registered

If that's their philosophy they could at least provide some documentation, or, at least some help : http://isiforums.net/f/forumdisplay.php/58-User-Interface-and-HUD-Modding

Only 3 threads with someone from ISI staff participating in whole page...

Actually UI editing is basically constant trial and error for hours, days, and weeks.

15. Dale B

Dale B Registered

Love the new menus, can't wait to see them in game!

Thanks for this!

16. Emery

Emery Registered

Do you think it's all that different making a mod in general? Most mod making involves quite a bit of trial & error, especially the first time one approaches the subject matter. I feel that the staff respond with the amount of initiative shown in a particular subject. People generally mod the tracks & cars as a priority, so they naturally have more threads.

17. simRAYcing

simRAYcing Registered

Sexy as ****!

18. Domi

Domi Registered

Just check track modding subforum for example, it's full of posts from ISI track guys helping. So no, they don't really respond with the same initiative. There are clearly some black areas regarding mod editing, and UI has been always one of them.

19. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Wow :eek:

I know I have said I am happy with anything but this just brings a professional look rivals pCARS, AC and the rest.

As for coding having garage and setups available anytime / in menu would be magic.

20. Domi

Domi Registered

What do you mean with this? Avaiable where?