New User: Graphics Seem Disappointing - Am I Missing Something

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by skyh, Jan 4, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Marvin Morgan

Marvin Morgan Registered

+100
    Just recently finished taking some photography lessons and as much as "Location, location, location" are the three most important things in real estate, "lighting, lighting and lighting" are the three most important things in photography.

PS: I took this photo in rf2 with no processing whatsoever. So there are times the game can look VERY good.

[​IMG]Vette2 by randombrother777, on Flickr

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 16, 2015
  2. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

That car is as close to photo-realistic as I would ever need in a sim.

The grass and some other details not so much, but I agree that rF2 can look amazing. Like just about every feature in rF2, it's only let down by inconsistency in application and chaotic controls and interfaces.

3. Depco

Depco Registered

I agree this car and specifically this screenshot looks great. rF2 rarely looks this good. Only when you set the time of day and have the right mods can it look this good. That is a problem that AC and pCars don't have. They look great out of the box. It's funny because I was just posting this very thing in my leagues forums. Here is a snippet of that post.

http://virtualsportscarracing.com/index.php?topic=615.0

Well AC is out now and pCars is on the horizon.... New simmers have better options now than I had when I started out. rF2 has better league and endurance tools, but for pick up races and online servers AC is the place to be and the game to have.

4. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Don't include me in your bs.

These graphics threads are nothing but self serving bs.

rF2 looks awesome ............get over it. :rolleyes:

5. buddhatree

buddhatree Registered

I'm not going to argue about graphics.

When I play rF2 after just playing AC, the first thing I notice is the graphics. And I say to myself, "Wow that's quite a difference"

BUT

There's no other game where you actually feel like you're racing and you (sometimes) forget it's a game.

You add everything together: The AI, the physics, the real road, the transitional time of day, the weather, and yes, the graphics and you get a whole different "feel" than you get from any other racing game out there.

My 2 cents.

6. Depco

Depco Registered

No it doesnt. :p

7. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

hehehehe ;)

I rather a thread highlights the good features and stuff of each

rF2 swap cars and skins.

AC realtime UI.

pCARS same content.

8. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

I don't like the way the grass looks. The game can certainly look mighty fine albeit currently there are lighting issues which prevent a sort of one be-all solution to textures, plus the kerb/grass often times kill immersion. The game has gotten much better regarding the blending of vehicle to track in most cases though.

9. Depco

Depco Registered

I agree with this. If it weren't for the well developed Racing tools (Pits, flag system, Etc...) the day, night cycle, and weather (although this is needs alot graphical work too) I would say pass on rF2. And as I indicated in my earlier post for the newbie simmer rF2 is difficult to jump into.

Maybe that keeps some people away. Or maybe, as in my case, it makes them learn to drive the car rather than relying on easy physics settings and assists to do the driving for them. I am willing to be most new sim racers just choose to go elsewhere when the green track makes them feel like an awful driver.

I for one would like to see more people in Sim racing and specifically in rF2. But rF2's problems are holding it back with new simmers and those who have already moved on.

10. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Seriously........... grass and kerbs "kill" immersion. :rolleyes:

11. peterchen

peterchen Registered

When the textures are not fitted to the (unfinished) lighting-system and it´s midday, then yes!
    Then it shines like neon and looks terrible!!------------>kills immersion.

Edit: most people are not even aware that time of day and cloud-settings change things/looks (relative to standard-settings to the better)!
    I notice this regulary at youtube-vids/let´s play´s.

12. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Just race the bloody car, I bet I'm faster than 75% of the people bitching about how "shiney" other games look. WHO CARES, it looks fine. So it's not the most beautiful, heavenly, dramatic, graphical experience in history of simracing, who cares! 75% of the days I raced in real-life didn't look as dramatic and beautiful as most of these other sims either! Guess what? I wasn't in my car thinking "oh man, I wish the sun came out more today, I wish we raced in the sunset, blah, blah", all I thought about was, was the task at hand - RACING! The corners, my gameplan, my performance, my opponents, my car, my brake points, etc! This game is about racing, specifically racing physics and FFB. Get in the car and drive the bloody thing, this is racing, not sight seeing, not visual art! Get on track and drive!

My friend who comes from consoles and is used to AAA title games NEVER EVEN ONCE mentioned the graphics of RF2, even when he played RF2 right after playing AC. When I finally mentioned it to him, he said "WHO CARES, THEY'RE STILL GOOD ENOUGH, I'M PLAYING FOR THE DRIVING AND THE FEELING, NOT FOR LOOKING AT A PRETTY PICTURE".

Unless your main reason for buying/playing racing games is to watch replays for 4 hours a day, or making un-edited pics/videos, then the graphics are still fine.

I heard that McLaren's issues these past few years all stem down to the fact that their sim's graphics aren't pretty and fancy enough. I'm kidding! Drive the ****** car! I think most people here would be more concerned about the pin-stripe or wheel colour of their track-day car, rather than setting up it's suspension and learning how to drive to get the best out of it. DRIVE THE THING, THIS ISN'T AN ART GALLERY OR MOVIE SIM, IT'S A RACECAR DRIVING SIM, NOT A LOOKING-AT-A-RACECAR SIM.

You guys make it sound like the game is literally a 480x360 Nintendo 64 looking game, QUIT OVER-EXAGGERATING AND TRY DRIVING!

- QUIT STARING AT YOUR YOUR PAINTJOB AND FLASHY RIMS, GO DRIVE THE CAR!
    - QUIT STARING AT YOUR GRILFRIEND'S DRESS, GO KISS/TOUCH HER!
    - QUIT STARING AT THE MICROPHONE, GO SING!
    - QUIT STARING AT THE GOAL, TAKE A SHOT!
    DO YOU GET THE POINT?

The game is about "doing", about action and reaction, not about sitting back and "watching". it's about touching, controlling, and feeling (and to further expand - about doing that better and better than you previously did, and also better than your opponents).

P.S. It blows my mind how a hardcore sim gets 10000x more attention on visuals than physics. You make a physics thread, and it lasts 2 or 3 pages, but hey, make a graphics thread and it lasts 9+ pages. WOW! STARING AT A PRETTY PICTURE IS MORE IMPORTANT THAN DRIVING! LOL!!!!!

There should be physics threads littering these forums, but nope, rFactor 2 is actually about fancy looking pixels, the driving aspect is just a bonus, well so it seems.

13. MarcG

MarcG Registered

The only time I notice the grass is when I stick two or all four wheels on it and think "crap!"
    Certainly not an immersion killer for me on the good tracks, sure poor conversions can have horrible grass but usually the rest of the tracks textures are poor so it so blends into one.

14. Prodigy

Prodigy Registered

Spinelli you gone mad..

15. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Show me where iRacing, AC or pCARS Silverstone or Indy or Spa or Monza or Monaco modelling looks better then rF2 ...........

I dare ya.......

lol

16. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

madder then people that have continually put down their own sim for 3 years :confused:

i don't think so ............. :D

17. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Lol, the only reason I noticed 3D grass in other games is because of the fancy advertising videos. While playing, 3D or 2D grass, it's all just some green sh*t on the side of the track to avoid, simple as that. I can't believe people pay attention to that while driving, are people actually being serious here??!!

Instead of people complaining about making a further complex aerodynamic model, or further complex water physics, or physics based on how water hits the shape of different cars, or physics based on how the humidity becomes affected on different parts of the track depending on how many trees are around (for example, the sections at Monza, Belgium, and the old Hockenheim which were surrounded tightly by trees which made the water hang in the mist longer, and also made those parts of the track take longer to dry). Instead of people discussing all those sorts of things - WHICH ARE ACTUALLY PHYSICS BASED AND THEREFORE INTERACT WITH THE PLAYER AND ENVIRONMENT WHICH THEREFORE AFFECT THE ACTUAL GAMEPLAY FOR EVERY SINGLE ONE OF US - people are more concerned about something that is purley visual and therefore has NO AFFECT WHATSOEVER in terms of pure gameplay.

People are more concerned about the "skin" of the game than the actual gameplay; NO WONDER IT'S SO DIFFICULT TO GET MAKE A TOP SIM, most people are more concerned about it's "skin" than it's gameplay. It's like a person who is more concerned about the skin/paintjob of a mod rather than the actual physics and FFB of that mod. Unbelievable.

18. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

The point of this thread is that most people out in the broader world value graphics over realism, even if some of us sim-heads do not. Sorry, but the ratio of them to us is about 10,000:1. rF2 has the capability to look great when all the stars align. So if someone paid some time and attention to extending the good looks to a general level, instead of it being an exception to the rule, we'd have the most realistic sim that also looked good enough it wouldn't constantly get derided on public forums (elsewhere than here). How popular would rF2 be then? What impact would that have on its future and on resources to "finish" it properly and more quickly in the here and now?

Think about it...

19. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Look at the chat at Steam in AC and pCARS

Most every poster falls over himself blurting out glowing expletives.

Thing is it does not hurt their reputations.

I can only imagine some of the people from here in Steam doing rF2 reviews ( ........cringe )
    :rolleyes:

BTW I own pCARS and AC, you won't EVER see me in there or their forums bagging them.

20. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Ok, I agree, most people are clueless and extremely judgmental and therefore use graphics to unjustly judge something. Therefore the graphics need to be much improved for that reason. It's purely a sales & positive reception thing though, NOT a gameplay/driving thing. My posts were aimed at the sim-players around here, not the general public, for that I completely agree, the graphics need to be much improved and modernized in order to garner the sort of public interest and positivity that other sims/racing games have.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.