New User - could use some help - please

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by NathanW, Jun 30, 2020.

1. NathanW

NathanW Registered

Hello,

New to rf2 but not to sim racing. Finally giving it a try and of course realize I've been missing out. I've now logged 20 hours or so and had some basic questions.

I am in VR - I do understand how to move the onboard mirrors to get the views I need. However, is there a way to actually get head positioning to work? I see the option in the player file but it's already set to 3 which it says will allow for positional head movement - however I see none when I move my head. Now oddly when I move the seat I can see it is actually moving relative to me (a good sign that it should work like iracing and acc).

Also in the mirrors is it possible to get your car/cockpit reflecting? The player file again has this option - I set it to 15 but none of the numbers appear to do anything? I read in the forums here to add the statement "true" but I can't understand where.. I think it's a old post as I am guessing 0 is false and 1 is true now.

Lastly the HUD.. the default one is really not wonderful in my opinion.. despite it's info, it's too deep (far) in Z so it's literally in the dashboard which is pretty tough to focus on, but in general there is one useful bit of info per page and way too many pages. I see others using SIMHUB - but every instruction I've found is simply incorrect. I think it references a older interface of rf2, regardless I cannot figure out how to use it (which seems like the thing to use?) - Can anyone point me to a updated install instruction or a up to date video of it being installed. Or is there something else to try?

And just to confirm the motec or onboard dash - you can't flip the page there? I would rather not have a hud at all - but I cant see to find any way to flip the in-car dash/wheel pages, so assuming that's not a option? Seems so odd as the first page seems to always have working data. Mostly I want to get tire/brake data and time, lap and deltas.

Would really appreciate any responses..

nathanw

2. Lazza

Lazza Registered

You might be scaring people off with so many questions :D but I'll start the ball rolling with the first one: no, you can't make the mirror(s) react live to your head position. It's seat position only.

NathanW likes this.
  3. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

And at this time, the digital information display on the steering wheel only has 1 screen. In past versions of rFactor, you could hit the space bar to flip at least two pages(if not more). This was disabled for rF2 and hasn't been fixed. You'll find that many solo play items are awaiting 'fixes'. Welcome aboard, watch those tire temps!

atomed and NathanW like this.
  4. NathanW

NathanW Registered

I thought I only asked 3-4 questions.. but fair enough - and thank you for the response.. I will stop fusing with the player file.

I just feel like the display information (hud or onboard info) is so critical to racing strategy that I would have found more information that was current.

nathanw

5. Bernd

Bernd Registered

I guess you mean the self in rearview setting in the player.json?
    The json files, in almost all cases, have 2 lines for a setting.
    One for the setting itself and one for some explanations.
    For the self in rear view, you have the line:
    "Self In Rearview":"",
    for the setting and the explanation for the setting is:
    "Self In Rearview#":"Empty for nothing, * for everything, otherwise list comma-delimited instances you want _removed_",
    So, following the explanation, if you want to have your own car visible in the mirrors, you have to set it like this:
    "Self In Rearview":"*",

atomed and NathanW like this.
  6. JimmyT

JimmyT Registered

7. Woodee

Woodee Registered

Have you mapped a button for reset VR seating position?

8. NathanW

NathanW Registered

yes - that works fine. seats and mirrors all move fine, no issues there

Woodee likes this.
  9. NathanW

NathanW Registered

Seats and mirrors all move as the instructions suggest - no issues there, it's nicely documented. The issue was - no reflection of the car your driving (self) - which made the blind spot difficult to adjust to (there is a suggestion above I will try, seems so odd that the description in the line/file says drop a number value in and that does nothing, instead I will try a "*" as suggested.

- and in other sims I've been playing as you move your head the relative reflection changes like it does in real life. The player.json file has a option for head tracking with the mirrors - 1 thru 4 - 4 being off if I recall correctly, 1= Position, 2= FOV, 3= both. It's set to 3 by default - but I do not get any reflection change while moving my head in VR.. Not a big deal, but if it was something I wasn't setting correctly I just wanted some education..

nathanw

10. NathanW

NathanW Registered

Thank you I will give this a try. Appreciate the response.

nathanw

11. NathanW

NathanW Registered

Just to be clear - this line in the player.json

Self In Cockpit Rearview="15" // add values for any that should be visible (0=none): 1=rear wing & wheels, 2=body & susp, 4=cockpit, 8=steering wheel (15=all)

should read like this
    "Self In Rearview":"*",

That's incredibly confusing..

nathanw

12. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Those are different lines. Not at my PC so can't paste the exact, but the one talked about mentions the * in the comment.

Things get confusing when in multiple posts etc, just rely on what the file itself says.

13. NathanW

NathanW Registered

I did a search in that file and found every instance of the word rear and self - I see no such line sadly.

14. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Did you select an old build or something? That line shouldn't be in there the way you pasted it.

Follow this to check: https://forum.studio-397.com/index.php?threads/no-beta-tutorial.62566/

Note that you select the NONE option, or you can select 'public-beta' to get the new UI. This might throw up a slightly different set of issues, so perhaps for now stick to the NONE.

15. Bernd

Bernd Registered

I would suggest to let the game create new user files, to ensure that you have the correct ones.
    Before you start the game, rename the folder
    ..\Steam\steamapps\common\rFactor 2\UserData
    into UserData_Backup for example.
    Then start the game, to get fresh generated files.
    With these files, you should have the above mentioned line in the player.json file.

16. Woodee

Woodee Registered

Self in rearview is nothing to do with VR by the way. It is about the rear of the cockpit/car being in the mirror. It is an old option that has been in the config files for years. For many mods the mirror position is setup wrong so the self in rear view doesn't work as intended.

You won't see your moving helmet according to your VR head position.

Currently the mirrors do not move position depending on where your head is like iRacing. I think that is something they will be trying to fix/upgrade but it is dependent on the gmotor engine.

17. lagg

lagg Registered

You can find more HUDs in the workshop.
    There is one called SHQM or something similar that is prepared for VR
    Changing the resolution you change the size of the HUD (and the UI).
    I use 1600*900 and some friends use 1366*768.

NathanW likes this.
  18. NathanW

NathanW Registered

#Bernd
    #Lazza
    I purchased about 10-15 days ago and downloaded 3 dlcs and 2 tracks from steam after playing for about 5 hours (that was enough to know I wanted to play this more).

I've never adjusted anything in steam regarding this game. I did double check upon the above suggestions - I am not in any beta program "NONE - Opt out of all beta programs" is selected.

I hope by default for new users it doesn't put your user and player files into a older state.. that's pretty off putting, especially since this is yet another sim that you have to constantly be out of the game and altering files by hand - BUT I will absolutely make a backup and restart the game.

I appreciate all the responses and help. Thanks for taking the time.

nathanw

19. NathanW

NathanW Registered

This absolutely altered the entire player.json , it's different and the format of everything is considerably different (two lines for everything now - one a description and one a execution line. Hoping this will at least address a few of the issues I was having - appreciate it.

I feel like a new user has a pretty steep hill to climb coming into this package. I understand it's not PC2 or some console pretend sim but coming from AC, ACC, Iracing and raceroom - this is by far the most difficult to get running and understand. Add to this - searching for information can result in completely wrong results as it's looking at various versions. Just a tough start to one of the best sims I've played (I love the tire/suspension model).

nathanw

atomed, Bernd and Comante like this.
  20. Lazza

Lazza Registered

I don't think I've ever seen that before, but when I got home and found your line didn't exist in my file but I found old posts here mentioning it, an old build seemed the likely culprit - especially because a couple of years ago VR users needed to select a different build and that advice still floats around.

The reason it's extremely unusual is that those JSON files aren't downloaded with the game. It generates them when you start it, which is worth remembering because you can rename or move them out and start the game to get fresh new ones (if you make a mess or can't work out defaults). I did that when checking for that line, too.

So that's a very strange one, even for rF2, but glad you now have the correct files.