New UI FAQ (Frequently Asked QUESTIONS) for reference

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Woodee, Dec 28, 2020.

1. Filip

Filip Registered

Completely agree on this one and I understand your frustration.
    It is indicative that people need to read forums where multiple people in multiple threads mention how to select cars and tracks. Being able to select car and track is basic stuff and should be obvious.

I think some users who play rf2 for decades and have thousands of hours in rf2 forget how non-intuitive UI is and how frustrating it can get.

Btw what is the point of having option to select series? Isn't that just selecting a subset of all cars and track?

vegaguy5555 likes this.
  2. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

If you joined an online session, that could automatically reset your All Tracks & Cars to whatever event the server was hosting. Whether you did it on purpose, on accident like mouse clicking randomly around a screen to find an active link, or it came from a session or mod you joined, then you still need to return to the Race tab, click on the top line of text and choose all tracks and cars. There are also several grey icons near the top of the screen the display the results in different formats. Try clicking on those to find a style to your liking. Please remember, folks who respond here are offering free help with no expectation of any acknowledgement or even a cup of coffee. Sometimes the advice is good, and sometimes it is bollucks. But try to take responses people send you with a more accepting heart. Challenging a response only discourages the user to continuing his efforts to help you.
    Hope you figure this out.. Seems like all but a few have, right from the start.(over two years ago I might add)

vegaguy5555 likes this.
  3. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

You could have 100's of cars and tracks, if not 1,000s. Separating some events into a self contained package can make it easier for the user to just scroll through the cars/tracks he wishes. For example. An Aussie user who ONLY wants to race V8 Supercar mods & tracks. Or an Eff One geek who doesn't want to bother sorting thru silly, little, bumpy, narrow, British Touring car tracks. The ability to do that is a convenience to the user at the expense of some users not clearly understanding it's methods.

4. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Yes. Could be useful when you want to play a particular type of real life series, so instead of having tens or hundreds of cars and tracks to scroll through to find the ones you want (for yourself, and as opponents) there are only the ones that make sense.

The series/event thing has always been a bit confusing though, and the new UI hasn't (yet?) taken the opportunity to make it clearer.

Still, at some point an apparently willing ignorance and repeated cross-posting is just taking the piss.

5. vegaguy5555

vegaguy5555 Registered

I'm still at work and haven't tried the advice yet, let me see if I got this right?
    To get to all cars I'm not supposed to click on all cars because that will takes me to a series but instead click on the series car that I don't want anymore to get to all cars??
    This sounds like I'm being a smart ass, but...... do I have it right?
    ...and the only reason I kept looking and asking is because I still couldn't get to all cars. I must have click on the series car by accident in my haste a couple times but couldn't recall how I did it.
    Then I lost it... and made that video!! Sorry!

6. EricW

EricW Registered

The series or Mod drop down is imo nothing more than a collection you also have in other games.
    With the difference in most other games that you first have to select single,multi,series,campain etc. Usualy presented by a large icon or picture.
    Behind that there is a selection structure that helps you to make choices.
    In RF2 everything is actually dumped in a single pulldown list.
    With the "all cars & tracks" as a selection.
    It also does not default to this option and is not always on top of the list.
    After being subscribed to a serie by e.g. joining a competition or online league, it defaults to the last series selection you made.
    I agree it's not mainstream, and can imagine it is very confusing for new users.

vegaguy5555 likes this.
  7. B. Gant

B. Gant Registered

@vegasguy5555. Yes. once rf2 opens
    1. customize.
    2. then the series arrow.
    3. then the next page at the top left, gotta click on "all"
    4. once that opens, scroll all the way to left and all cars tracks

your track and vehicle will remain the same but now your series is all vehicles. so now you'll see other installed cars.

vegaguy5555 likes this.
  8. Lazza

Lazza Registered

A small part of the confusion is @vegaguy5555 posting everywhere that he can't see all his cars, and people telling him to select all cars and tracks, when he already is on "all cars and tracks". He just isn't clicking in the right place to see the cars available.

@vegaguy5555 what you're clicking on, which gets highlighted when you put your mouse on it just like the thousands of web pages you've ever visited, is "all cars and tracks". Not "all cars", not "select a car", not anything else.

I'm sure this confused most people, but I would suggest most then tried clicking in other places. That's how you learn something new.

McKiernan and vegaguy5555 like this.
  9. vegaguy5555

vegaguy5555 Registered

I agree but in this case it doesn't look like I can click anywhere else. As in the video. I really thought I had clicked everything there was. I only click the actual all cars words out of frustration. I honestly didn't know I could highlight the series car name and click that as well. I must have done it at least once because I was in all cars but had no idea how I got there.
    I think the biggest confusion is the words don't look like something you can click on. Or I would have tried it in the video. ...and I wouldn't be having any conversation on any forums because I would have been driving.

10. RusRob

RusRob Registered

So....

What exactly happened to this thread? Wasn't it suppose to be a reference post with Q&A that were easy to find?

I think that this WAS a great Idea and it could have been very useful to a lot of people.

It seems to have devolved into a mosh pit...

Too bad...

Bob

11. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Many people don't find those clickable words. They instead click on customise, which is definitely a button and makes everything clearer. Or they click up the top, and again end up with clearer options.

@RusRob indeed, and I didn't realise that's where I'd chased vega's posts to. The first post remains what it is.

vegaguy5555 likes this.
  12. vegaguy5555

vegaguy5555 Registered

It was useful to me!
    Thanks again!
    It works now!

pkelly likes this.
  13. RusRob

RusRob Registered

@Lazza No problem I am glad vegaguy finally figured it out ;)
    When I first saw this thread I thought it was a great idea, Q&A, simple, clean, easy to find what you need.
    Still a good idea ;)

Cheers,
    Bob

pkelly and vegaguy5555 like this.
  14. Woodee

Woodee Registered

I add stuff to the first post when things come up that people want to know. I did tell people to stop hijacking the post for chatter, but hey.... what can ya do :D

vegaguy5555 and pkelly like this.
  15. JamesB

JamesB Registered

Woodee, good thread and very valuable, please persevere!

vegaguy5555 likes this.
  16. RusRob

RusRob Registered

Woodee said: I add stuff to the first post when things come up that people want to know. I did tell people to stop hijacking the post for chatter, but hey.... what can ya do

I should note that I did not look at the date this thread was started and thought it was new! I thought it appeared to devolve pretty quickly. :confused:

I use to run my own forum for a number of years (Team Players Virtual Garage) and was known to be somewhat of a forum nazi. The forum was strictly for vintage mods and I kept the conversations to that topic.

I do think this is an excellent idea that deserves its own section. It would be nice if it was read only with an admin to do what you were trying to do in this thread.

I see a need for something like that with rF2 because it seems there is a fair amount of "issues" us newbies don't see as obvious. I could see a need for a section on the UI, Setting up Wheels and FFB issues, one on AI related stuff. I am sure there are more but those were the issues I had to work through in the last few weeks and there wasn't any clear info other than these "mosh pit" threads.

So I think the concept is a great idea but it should just be read only with someone like you as a moderator.;)

OK I am done with my rant...

Cheers,
    Bob

Woodee and davehenrie like this.
  17. vegaguy5555

vegaguy5555 Registered

How do we adjust the mirrors now? I don't see a wheel save in bindings anywhere.
    I'm guessing there are keys that do the mirror mirror mirror, sorry, couldn't resist!

18. Woodee

Woodee Registered

same way you did before. Seat keybinds held with shift I think.

vegaguy5555 likes this.
  19. vegaguy5555

vegaguy5555 Registered

Did they ever fix the 'All Cars' button?
    Or do we still have to click on something else to get to 'All Cars'?
    My old computer wouldn't run rF2 at the end but I got a new computer now. Excited to try rF2 again and then I remembered the frustrating UI!!!

20. nolive721

nolive721 Registered

Why s397 doesn’t take ownership of this Q&A is unbelievable for me considering the struggle users express

I really appreciate the efforts from the OP but seriously is there care from the devs here?

vegaguy5555 likes this.