Released New!!!! Two Strong Pack (McLaren Senna GTR / The Aston Vantage GTE)

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by Christopher Elliott, Aug 16, 2019.

1. Gonzo

Gonzo Member

The problem i see here that nowadays public racing is almost impossible because content does not get downloaded like we all know and expect it, from other titles. A normal user assumes that he could race online against people no matter what content they have. Something like seeonly content must be free imho. So it should make at least cars that are not bought useable in case others use them. This can for sure not work for tracks.

I hope for a user-friendly solution with the upcoming new gui that i easily can join all non-passworded servers. This is how all of this began decades ago. Join something, meet people, get friends, build leagues, have fun with other great people.

Nowadays only league and offline-ai-racing works well with pre-shared content. This excludes new users. They buy it, try to race online and then they fail, mostly with silly error messages that are all, but not userfriendly.
    I doubt that the studio 397 hasn't that on their list, just not on top of the priorities, because the list of things that rF2 needs is endless. I am pretty happy with the progress they made, i am coding for almost 20years myself, i know what it means. The progress they made is very huge, if we remember how it was before they overtook. rF2 is/was like a beautiful woman in a bad dress, so the best simulator with issues graphics wise and elsewhere. Many of them got addressed, many has to come: laser scanned tracks, official licensed content, great content to be honest, you will fall in love with the nordschleife for sure(!), if we remember what isi published rushed sometimes before. That emberassing barcelona track for example. Performance improvements, neu gui, great content. improvements missing yet: physics and weather.

They overtook rF2 almost before it was too late. The most important things have been fixed and the other most important things to make are in progress. If they improve content-downloading and the overall public/multiplayer experience like they did with the graphics engine, rF2 will have a stunning future. Personally i am missing f1 stuff the most, but i am just a small unimportant user of many.

I am not involved into coding, but i assume that the new gui will delay a lot of features that depend of this. For example, coding a simple trackmap is easy, but doing it for the old gui is a waste of time. Same for multiplayer-enhancements and other stuff. The new gui will offer beeing a community inside rF2 with driver profiles, rankings, plugins, content-management, server administration etc.

To make the point, all those things we all wanted are already done or at least on their lists for sure and just a matter of time. Considering that they overtook a codebase which was developed from the mid 90s up to today you can be sure they have to work with a lot of old outdated crappy shit, they did great so far. Software evolves over the years, sometimes developers do not, concidering that isi wanted to add a flash-based gui (shudder). Let's see where they are heading when the new gui arrives which opens many doors for development. And if web-based plugins are an option i will belong to the first to hack some JavaScript/css/html stuff in for good gui-plugins.

We all should keep in mind that they have to make difficult compromises every day and they cannot change what happend in 20 years, within two years. You might get a huge publisher behind you but that would also mean we would have something like rF2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, one release to pay for per year. Staying small, but also growing with the right people and a focus on quality makes them sympathic. Do not forget that most of them are solid simracers like we are. Pretty sure that they hate those things we do, too. Dont expect any public inpolite statements about what isi did before, thats not constructive. Just give rF2 the time it needs now and continue support it, because its worth it. Big things are coming, we all have a great future and most of the things we want to have will appear sooner or later. Gjon is a great guy, but have you seen him participating rF2 online events?

The best version of rF2 is always available "now", each release is a progress. I want all those things on yesterday, too. Be patient, its worth it.

Just my 222222 cents, lol :D.

Remco Majoor, F1 2004, TJones and 2 others like this.
  2. hitm4k3r

hitm4k3r Registered

I still don't know why people make those silly comparisons with iRacing. The most simple mathematics should show you that you are still better off with rFactor 2. Just ignore the unintersting cars and you are good to go. A system like iRacing or RRRE would be nice to have, but it is certainly nothing that breaks the game if the packs are well put together. And so far I haven't seen any big issues. Where it get's a big issue is if tracks are only available together with cars, wich isn't the case.

3. lagg

lagg Registered

It's no possible if you want to race online.

4. hitm4k3r

hitm4k3r Registered

That's not what I meant. With ignoring I meant simply not to use them. And in case you gain interest later on you have the content allready. With iRacing you have to pay another 11,95. Again, I don't get the fuzz. People who really use iRacing as a benchmark really need a better calculator.

5. lagg

lagg Registered

Yes, but the fact of having to buy content that you're not going to use, to race online, is a bad thing.

6. Filip

Filip Registered

You can buy single car, can't you?

7. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

yes you CAN buy a single car, but racing rF2 online requires you have the same content as the server. So if the server has the GT Challenge pack and you just have the Mclaren 720S, you won't be able to join until you too have the full pak. It is one of many oddities that folks would like to see addressed at some point.

TheGame316 likes this.
  8. hitm4k3r

hitm4k3r Registered

That's complete nonesense if I am completely honest. The way how DLCs work in rFactor 2 is the common way and not an oddity. iRacing and RRRE are the exception and people make it sound like as if this was the gold standard. In every other sim to this date you need or needed to buy the full packs to use content online. And those two sims are enclosed eco systems where using ripped content is impossible. It's really not that difficult.

Gasper Zupan and Andregee like this.
  9. lagg

lagg Registered

This can be the common way, but it's not smart, because it has a bad impact in the online races, lowering the number of pilots who can do a race.

Jeferson Richart likes this.
  10. williang83

williang83 Registered

Just because something is common it does not automatically mean the best. Actually for this scenario this method is much worse than iRacing method.

Buy a car just because you are forced to but since you are not interested in it, just ignore the fact that you WASTED money....words that a true consumerist would say...lol

Andregee likes this.
  11. hitm4k3r

hitm4k3r Registered

If you are really trying to argue with iRacing, then why in gods name do I have to pay 66 Euro per year (best case) to even be able to race online and to lisence content that I will never use? There is so much stuff in the starter pack in iRacing that doesn't interest me the slightest. Again we are talking 3,50 Euro per car for rFactor 2 here that would be "wasted" wich is your single fee to use it forever till the end of your life active or passive. You guys have insane double standards and call me a consumerist not noticing how you actually are at the better end. As said, get a better calculator and come back if you have done the mathematics. You are so stubborn arguing over that single car, while you completely ignore the big picture. With iRacing as with RRRE you get completely laughable starter content compared to what you get with rFactor 2 and you have zero possibilities to enhance your game with mods and your only option are investments that are as expensive or even far more expensive than the single wasted car. How 3,5 bucks are a problem in that grand scheme is beyond me. Get real guys :rolleyes:

12. juanchioooo

juanchioooo Registered

+1
    totally agree, iracing for me is a ruin, they charge you for going to the bathroom.
    you stop paying and you have nothing ... discussing this is absurd

this is rfactor:):):);):D:cool:

13. juanchioooo

juanchioooo Registered

codemaster f1 (2012,13,14,15,16 ...) comes out every year and fools pay every year for the same € 60 or € 70...
    here there will always be people who protest, who complains about paying for dlc, but not for having support year after year, studio 397 has greatly raised rfactor, has given it a beastly change, which certainly needs to be improved, yes, but they continue there working to improve, for me it is the best simulator, lower cost than what exists in simulation, ...:);):cool:

Jeferson Richart and bluet like this.
  14. Andregee

Andregee Registered

I don´t habe a problem to buy 5 cars for 15 Euro instead of 1 for 11.95. And even if i need 10 cars for 30 Euro, its much cheaper because i would buy more than 1 car in Iracing to try which one fits better to my driving style. Nobody will be satisfied with a vehicle in Iracing any longer unless they have financial problems. But whether then Iracing is the right platform, can be doubted.

juanchioooo likes this.
  15. juanchioooo

juanchioooo Registered

I forgot to say that: studio 397 work and do things for every day, if they sell quality content, that in iracing they charge money for a single car ($ 12), what rfactor for a car pack, welcome, they they also work, they deserve it, nobody works for free

I'm sorry if something is badly translated, sorry

16. williang83

williang83 Registered

But you can test cars before buying in iRacing, there is no need to waste money .......

Update: from time to time they enable the testdrive mode where you can test any car and any track

Last edited: Aug 24, 2019
  17. hitm4k3r

hitm4k3r Registered

And that test drive is not free as you have to pay the sub to even be able to make the test drive. The test drive in RRRE is free I will give you that point, but using iRacing as a base for argumentation about financial fairness and customer service while complaining about something that is the standard for most sims is a bit wierd. I agree with you that it would be great to have such a system in rF2 and something that is considered common standard can have it's issues. But S397 is running a business and it actually costs money to implement such a system. And there is no garantue that it will pay off to invest into such a system while making it easier for people to use ripped content. Is 3,50 (wichis the worst case btw) really that much of an issue considering all those points?

juanchioooo likes this.
  18. juanchioooo

juanchioooo Registered

which part you have not understood: if you do not pay the annual membership you have nothing, or offline, even if you have spent € 500, you have nothing, I paid 65 euros in 2012 and still do not buy more, I still have a rfactor

19. lagg

lagg Registered

I don't understand why, when S397 launches a package, people focus on comparing it with other simulators, instead of thinking about whether they like it or not, or if they think if it's useful.

20. DrivingFast

DrivingFast Registered

I am extremely satisfied with both the high quality of the DLC (the best cars of all IMO sims) and very reasonable prices.

Thank you S397.

A lot of fun with rF2.