New system build, opinions/advice welcome

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DrR1pper, Oct 1, 2014.

1. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

Hey guys,

Since the GTX 970 really needs PCI-e 3.0 x16 to work properly, i've decided to get a new mobo and cpu. I just want to be sure i'm not making a bad decision or that there's a better one i've missed.

i5-4690k - £176.50
    http://www.scan.co.uk/products/inte...rbo-5-gt-s-dmi-12ghz-gpu-34x-ratio-84w-retail

Asus Z97-A - £107
    http://www.scan.co.uk/products/asus...-(x16)-quad-sli-crossfirex-d-sub-dvi-hdmi-atx

If there is an alternative i should look at it must be cheaper than this combo i'm afraid. Budgets time atm.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 1, 2014
  2. Jamie Shorting

Jamie Shorting Registered

Another thing to think about is the dimensions of your mobo and how it will fit into your case. Personally I like a big mobo for cooling purposes but it might not work so well if you don't have a full size case.

3. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

Yeah, it'll fit. Same size as my current mobo.

4. Ari Antero

Ari Antero Registered

5. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

From all I've read these Z boards aren't worth it. I suggest you check my PC specs and just get a newer CPU, the 4690k seems overkill especially in regards to performance vs value.

6. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

7. Narrowbackwing

Narrowbackwing Registered

8. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

Thanks for the suggestion as well Narrrow but i think i've nailed down the selection:

Instead of the Asus z97 motherboard @ £107, maybe the MSI z97 motherboard for £80 and then a £23 cash back after purchase because i'm buying it with the i5 4690k.

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/msi-...-way-sli-3-way-crossfirex-d-sub-dvi-d-hdmi-at

edit: Scratch that! it's only £23 back with the i7 4690k.

edit 2: wait...it's a typo on their website. No such thing as an i7 4690k lol. And it provides the produce code which links to the i5-4690k. Sweet! :D

I think i have a winner unless someone has an objection i should know about to the motherboard?

9. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

DrR1pper remember the "mainstream" line of processors AKA Sandy Bridge, Ivy Bridge, and Haswell, only have 16 PCI-E 3.0 lanes. No matter what.

If you want true, full PCI-E 3.0 @ 16x for all GPUs in the following setups: 1x GPU + 1 other PCI-E device (eg. soundcard), 2x GPUs, and 2x GPUs + 1 other PCI-E device (eg. soundcard), then the only way to achieve that is to get a Sandy Bridge-E, Ivy Bridge-E or Haswell-E CPU as they, with the exception of 1, have 40 PCI-E lanes instead of a measly 16.

Most of these chips are 6 core, and now even 8 core, beasts. The 6 core versions cost more money compared to the "mainstream" line, however their is a "saving grace". There are 4 core models that cost no more than their equivalent "mainstream" models. So you get the price of a "normal, mainstream" CPU, but you also get 40 PCI-E lanes, quad-channel RAM, and the ability to upgrade to a 6 core CPU down the line. These two CPUs are the 3820K and the 4820K. Also, prices should be dropping as Haswell-E has just come out a couple weeks ago to replace Ivy-E.

4820K or a used 4930K is what I would go for.

10. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

Ok, in that case, screw it, lol. It'll cost me far more than i'm remotely willing to spend to get sli working then. Thanks for the clarification!

i5-4690k will still be good for plenty of years and i can just get a higher end gpu over time. I was thinking about the SLI again for the VR but perhaps a single card solution will be enough when vr's ready.

I don't intend on changing the base again for around 4 years (i hope).

11. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

If you dont want to change your CPU for another 4-5 years, then I would even more-so seriously consider getting a used x79 board and a used 4930k.

12. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

why is that?

edit: Jesus christ i just saw the price tags on that cpu. Why the hell would i need to shell out for one of those? You really think 6 core is going to become important in games in the next 4 years? By which time if that is true, wouldn't it be likely cheaper to buy the mainstream and more affordable equivalent of it's time?

13. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

That's why i said used. And yes, the new consoles are all highly threaded and running 8 threads. If consoles are doing it then most games are going to be programmed from the ground up for quite a bit of multi threading. If you don't want to get a new CPU until 2019 or 2020 then I would get a 6/12 core/thread CPU instead of a 4/4 core/thread CPU.

Like i said though the 4820K is not in the same price range as the hexacore ones. The 4820K is the same price, maybe even lower, than the "mainstream" line 4770K, and even cheaper than the 4790K.

Not to mention how little a used 4820K would cost you - I'm guessing mid $200s

14. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

I had my 2500K for 3years, It will get another 2 standing on its head.

rFactor wont run any slower then it does now. :)

But sure if you have the means I would get X99 not X79 and not a second hand board.

I mean why be stuck with DDR3 for another five years ???

15. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

X99? No way, rip off at the moment + DDR4 is too new and not matured yet.

My shifter, HDD, and past 4 motherboards, 11 GPUs, 5 CPUs, 3 wheels, and previous 4 monitors were all used. Not a single problem with any of those 29 products. Not to mention, if you purchase over Ebay or Paypal you get their full, 100% buyer protection program which very heavily favours the buyer (almost no questions asked). Not to mention you can ask the seller for the reciept for warranty purposes.

16. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Personally, If I want 4-5 years use from a box I rather new parts with long warranty.

Paying a little extra for new is insurance.

I don't care how many times anyone has brought secondhand gear and never had a problem, it is immaterial.

DDR4 will be matured a hell of a long time before that.

Personally I think he is making a mistake even upgrading because a upper midrange card wont run pci 3.0 in one game.
    Performance gains vs the cost is silly.

My personal opinion, I would screw another 12 months at least from your current gear.

17. Ari Antero

Ari Antero Registered

It has that mate.
    Graphics Interface: PCIe 3.0 (x16)
    SLI Support: 2 Way SLi

Expansion Slots:
    1 x Mini PCIe
    4 x PCIe 2.0 x1
    3 x PCIe 3.0 x16

Mbo matches our MSI 970 GFX and you get also eye-candy:cool:

18. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

But when you run in sli, the two slots turn down to x8/x8 unfortunately.

19. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Ari, Sandy Bridge, Ivy Bridge, and Haswell (and almost certainly the upcoming Broadwell) CPUs only have 16 PCI-E 3.0 lanes. If you want more, then you need Sandy Bridge-E, Ivy Bridge-E, or Haswell-E; they give you 40.

Most gamers are absolutely fine with PCI-E 3.0 @ 8x / 2.0 @ 16x. Results are commonly only in the 1-5 % range for most setups. For some reason, though, rF2 is the exception and shows massive (10-20+ %) differences.

20. Ari Antero

Ari Antero Registered