New sounds

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by olukelo, Apr 15, 2022.

1. Filip

Filip Registered

Thanks to devs for that because there is so much good ancient rf2 content official + mods that is unlikely to be updated and it would be a real shame if that content woud become unplayable.
    If there is an issue with old content in new sound engine then I would really like to see fallback to old engine if possible like some have already suggested.

rand777, sniper, Hazi and 2 others like this.
  2. RaceNut

RaceNut Registered

Of course, the new sound engine requires a certain amount of "Transitioning" where content is required but, that takes time.

As far as mods are concerned, good luck. Other than appealing to the mod authors for some updates, not sure what can be done there but, that's just one of the problems with vehicle mods, in general. Vehicle-Mod sounds are generally pretty disappointing in rF2, imo but, perhaps the new sound engine will offer some potential for improvement there.

pkelly likes this.
  3. vava74

vava74 Registered

The reality is that many of the older mods that I tested sound better with the new sound engine.
    The baseline from which we started was low, as the previous sound engine was very poor.
    Now that we are on the subject, I forgot to test two of the base-game cars which sound I like the most: Corvette C6R GT2 and the Nissan GTR GT1... I have to check them out ASAP.

pkelly and RaceNut like this.
  4. BorisK66

BorisK66 Registered

I found it in player.json . Sure many of this options must be in main interface, for example, ""Other Volume Ratio" - I need hear my car, not others :)
    Code:
    "Sound Options":{
        "Buffer Count":25,
        "Buffer Count#":"Controls size of mixing buffer, small values reduce latency but can cause skipping; latency = 1ms * value, which doesn't include driver\/card\/OS latencies (which are humongous on Windows)!",
        "Camera Volume":1,
        "Camera Volume#":"0.0-1.0",
        "Clip Limiter":true,
        "Clip Limiter#":"Automatic output limiter that prevents clipping in loud situations",
        "Engine Volume":5,
        "Engine Volume Reduction":0,
        "Engine Volume Reduction#":"0.0-1.0 How much engine volume will be reduced after 53.3 m\/s, linearly, until 80 m\/s",
        "Engine Volume#":"0.0-1.0",
        "Listener Mode":1,
        "Listener Mode#":"0\/1, Listener Mode. 0 uses view, 1 uses camera microphone setup",
        "Master Volume":1.2,
        "Master Volume#":"0.0-1.0, Master Volume. Affects the whole game",
        "Maximum Effects":256,
        "Maximum Effects#":"Maximum sound effects playing simultaneously",
        "Music":1,
        "Music Volume":0,
        "Music Volume#":"0.0-1.0",
        "Music#":"Music Toggle",
        "Net Race Warning":"Secondary\\racestart.wav",
        "Net Race Warning#":"Signal that multiplayer game has moved to race session (empty this if you don't want the game to automatically take window focus)",
        "Number of output channels":1,
        "Number of output channels#":"-1->Use Windows Control Panel Config, 0->Headphones, 1->Mono Speaker, 2->Stereo, 3->SRS Circle Surround, 4->4.0, 5->5.1, 6->6.1, 7->7.1, 8->8.1",
        "Onboard Volume Multiplier":0.98,
        "Onboard Volume Multiplier#":"Volume multiplier for onboard cameras. Typically, cars are a lot louder on the inside than they are when far away. This lowers the game's volume when riding onboard",
        "Options Volume":0.3,
        "Options Volume#":"0.0-1.0",
        "Other Volume Ratio":0.25,
        "Other Volume Ratio#":"Additional volume multiplier for other vehicles",
        "Pit Volume":0.5,
        "Pit Volume#":"0.0-1.0, controls volume of pit sounds while you're at the monitor",
        "Player Volume Ratio":2,
        "Player Volume Ratio#":"Additional volume multiplier for player's vehicle",
        "Rain Volume Mult":0.25,
        "Rain Volume Mult#":"Simulation will adjust rain volume derived from rain intensity. This parameter will either reduce or enhance that adjustment.",
        "Realtime In Monitor":true,
        "Realtime In Monitor#":"Whether to play realtime sounds in monitor",
        "Reverb Decay":0.2,
        "Reverb Decay#":"Controls decay function (0.0=short, 1.0=long)",
        "Reverb Dry Volume":0.5,
        "Reverb Dry Volume#":"Volume increase for original sound (0.0-1.0)",
        "Reverb Max Dist":13,
        "Reverb Max Dist#":"Distance from wall at which reverb drops to zero",
        "Reverb Wet Volume":0.75,
        "Reverb Wet Volume#":"Reverb volume multiplier (0.0-1.0)",
        "Selected HRTF Dataset":2,
        "Selected HRTF Dataset#":"-1->None selected, 0-MAX->Index of selected MHR according to internal enumeration (see trace). Dataset used for virtual 3D sound",
        "SoundFX Volume":0.01,
        "SoundFX Volume#":"0.0-1.0",
        "Speed Of Sound":300,
        "Speed Of Sound#":"340m\/s at sea level, but lower numbers help exaggerate the Doppler effect",
        "Spotter Volume":0.59,
        "Spotter Volume#":"0.0-1.0",
        "Thunder Volume Mult":0.25,
        "Thunder Volume Mult#":"Simulation will adjust thunder volume derived from storm intensity and distance. This parameter will either reduce or enhance that adjustment.",
        "Tire Volume Ratio":1,
        "Tire Volume Ratio#":"Additional volume multiplier for tires",
        "Track Load Commentary":true,
        "Track Load Commentary#":"Whether or not the commentator should talk during track loading",
        "Trackside Ambient":3,
        "Trackside Ambient#":"Ambient range where volume is maximum for pithorn and the default for other trackside sounds in CAM file",
        "Trackside Exp Shape":0.022,
        "Trackside Exp Shape#":"New exponential shape attenuation for pithorn and the default for other trackside sounds in CAM file",
        "Trackside Range":1,
        "Trackside Range#":"Volume range parameter for pithorn and the default for other trackside sounds in CAM file",
        "Trackside Shape":0.75,
        "Trackside Shape#":"Old (going obsolete) shape of volume attenuation for pithorn and the default for other trackside sounds in CAM file",
        "Traction Control":1.75,
        "Traction Control#":"Volume multiplier",
        "Vehicle Roadnoise FreqMin":0.8,
        "Vehicle Roadnoise FreqMult":0.00390625,
        "Vehicle Roadnoise VolMult":5e-006,
        "Vehicle Roadnoise VolSpeed":32,
        "Vehicle Scrubbing VolMult":6.10352e-005,
        "Vehicle Skidding FreqGrip":-0.25,
        "Vehicle Skidding FreqSpeed":0.00195313,
        "Vehicle Skidding VolMult":0.00012207
      }

Last edited: May 11, 2022
  5. Lazza

Lazza Registered

@BorisK66 If you're pasting a large amount of text, especially copied straight from a file, use the CODE tags so we don't need to scroll through the entire thing.

Also, you'll find some of those parameters won't do anything with the new sound engine, and playing with some of them might actually break things.

Just use the UI.

oikworld likes this.
  6. BorisK66

BorisK66 Registered

Sorry.
    But as I wrote, the parameter "Other Volume Ratio : 0.25" gives me the desired effect, (because listening to the wild cacophony from AI, which also slow down "jerks", tiresome) but when you enter the UI in the sound parameters it is reset to 1.
    In general, I would like more parameters in the UI. It's very good that the developers are working to improve the game, good luck.

ThomasJohansen likes this.
  7. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Okay, understood. During the RC the opponent volume didn't work, I assumed that was still the case... (it used to be in the UI).

8. BorisK66

BorisK66 Registered

I found it in r3e :) To be honest, I've never seen these settings, as the default sound in R3E suits me fine.

upload_2022-5-11_11-1-51.png r3es.JPG

Of course, this is already too much, but this is what it looks like in AMS2 - in my opinion, everything is logical and understandable.

ams2s.JPG

Florian Dubiel likes this.
  9. Lazza

Lazza Registered

I just tested on the current build, and both "Other Volume Ratio" and "Player Volume Ratio" reset to 1 when starting the game.

10. BorisK66

BorisK66 Registered

Yes, player.json rewrited on every start, not before exit. But it was working for me about two weeks ago (before new realize? ).
    In any case, there should be more sound options in the main interface, now that they exist. Not everyone has a super duper audio system, I, for example, have regular USB stereo headphones. And besides, I care more about information from the spotter (CrewChief) and the sounds of my car than from others.

11. Lazza

Lazza Registered

The opponent volume was in the UI previously, and was removed. Its adjustment is now disabled.

It's not supposed to require a high end sound system, and it doesn't. What's not yet clear is how much of the variation we're seeing is due to old, or poorly done, content, incorrect game and windows settings, or the new engine just not working right in some cases.

12. rlaycock

rlaycock Registered

Hi
    I am following this as I find the other cars volume far too loud in the Porsche Cup car. The new touring cars are fine, but quite frankly the sound of the other cars in the Porsche Cup car is annoying and distracting to the point where I can’t use it.
    Have I understood correctly that we have to wait for Studio 397 to update all there official content, as editing the player.jason file will not work?
    (I tried this and also found it went back to default)

Thanks in advance if you can help.
    Bob

13. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

Hey Bob! depending upon how you look at it...the new sound system has 3 times the amount of possible sounds, and many of those sounds that are already in existence will have to be changed. Essentially the stereo sounds have to be converted to mono so the new sound engine can correctly place them and new sounds added. While all cars will still work, it will be some time before everything is caught up, and it is not a stretch to expect some mods will never be updated.

14. Lazza

Lazza Registered

It's a bit more than that Dave. More than 3x, and more than switching stereo to mono - the game is already doing that now. There's a new json to create with some sort of parameters, then possibly some adjustment of actual sound files if they deem it necessary.

@rlaycock some people are complaining of loud opponents, others can't hear opponents. Then there's variations per car. So it's hard to say for sure. There are some settings guidelines I might try and take screenshots of to help.

15. rlaycock

rlaycock Registered

Hi Thanks for the reply
    Understood, a little disappointing but understood.
    For what its worth
    • I took the plunge and reverted to the old build through steam
    • Tested the Porsche Cup Car and all is back to how it was
    • Tested the new touring cars and no sound at all. (Not a surprise relay)
    • reverted to the latest build and the Porsche Cup cars unusable (for me) but the touring cars is fine.
    • So in the short term, at least I can revert to the old build for my Porsche Cup racing.
    By the way is, there a list of what has been updated relating to sounds?
    I have heard the Indy car has, but no clue as to if any of the other content has.
    I am referring to official studio 397 cars as I have most of them and don't use any none studio 397 car mods.
    Thanks in advance if you can help.
    Best wish.
    Bob.

16. Flaux

Flaux Registered

If I remember correctly, S397 implemented a trackside volume setting within the files of the car (and not global) to compensate for too loud or too quiet external engine sounds (e.g. trackside and opponents)

Is that (still) the case and is this also disabled? Could be the reason why some opponents are clearly hearable and others not that much.

Never modded in rf2 so I don't have the proper naming within the files...

17. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

The two BTCC cars, the new Indycar, the Formula Pro and the Oreca 07.(not sure if all Orecas are done yet or just the TEST oreca)

18. ThomasJohansen

ThomasJohansen Registered

just for "data" collecting on sound problems.
    Using headphones, my Realtek soundcard (Realtek® ALC892/ALC897 Codec) on my newly Mobo, dont work well with this new soundsystem, my own car gets suppressed by opponents cars, with no way to differentiate the volume on these since both are attached to "engine volume". couldnt find a settings that worked, but found a workaround. Had an really old Soundblaster USB soundcard, and with this the sound levels are back to normal.

19. BorisK66

BorisK66 Registered

In my opinion, rolling back to an old version is a bit inconvenient.
    My suggestion is to make more settings, including "legacy", and make them individual for each car. In the file all_vehicles.ini are stored some settings, why not write there and the sound settings.

Code:
    [VEHICLE]
    ID=6020
    File="D:\games\steamlibrary\steamapps\common\rFactor 2\Installed\Vehicles\Toyota_Corolla_2020\1.01\BTCC_COROL27E2711E.VEH"
    Skin=""
    MetersDriven=4625
    MoneySpent=-1
    FreeVehicle=0
    FOV=0
    Seat=(-0.295,-0.033)
    SeatPitch=99.00
    RearviewSize=(-10.000,-10.000)
    Mirror=(10.000,10.000)
    MirrorPhysical=(0.000,0.000,0.000)
    MirrorLeft=(0.000,0.000,1.000)
    MirrorCenter=(0.000,0.000,1.000)
    MirrorRight=(0.000,0.000,1.000)
    FFBSteeringTorqueMult=1.000
    UpgradeList:

20. Eagle1982

Eagle1982 Registered

Hello,

after the Q2 drop with the improvements I have the problem that Pit Radio is missing. So no information about FCY, the actual lap time when crossing the start-/finish-line and so on....