New sound engine Dev Guide

Discussion in 'Wish Lists' started by doddynco, Nov 11, 2022.

1. doddynco

doddynco Registered

I spent an awful lot of time trying to get the most out of the old sound engine with stereo placement/spatial effects; work which was ultimate made redundant due to the new sound engine only using mono samples.

I'm not going to be spending any time half-guessing how I should approach remaking the sounds for the new engine. I would like for the dev guide to be updated for the new sound engine as I really think it is over due now. I defended S397 when people were complaining about the lack of this info near to when the new sound engine was first released but, it's been a really long time since then. Please provide some kind of documentation for the new sound engine format.

SLK, Raintyre, makan and 4 others like this.
  2. doddynco

doddynco Registered

Well, my prayers were answered :) The documentation was released and the new sound engine is incredible, and has endless potential. Thank you S397!

buzz hornet, atomed, Mauro and 4 others like this.
  3. Rui Santos

Rui Santos Registered

So much potential and now i can't hear the tires on the limit... hope they fix it...

philman likes this.
  4. Bernat

Bernat Registered

Oh man, you're everywhere. Do you want to hear a screeching fest? Because most won't.

5. Rui Santos

Rui Santos Registered

No, i just want to hear the tires, like in real life. If you don't want, fine, you can put the slider to zero, but respect others opinions!

6. Navigator

Navigator Registered

Hi guys, sorry if I start rocking the boat again: thats not what I want.
    But just last night I was busy with the sounds and thought how weird it was in the DW18 for instance and a lot of other cars.
    You see, I work at the tracks, mainly Zandvoort lately, and I know from experience that cars "just driving a corner" don't make so much scrubbing sound.
    In this game; its there or it isn't. When you take a corner wrong, the scrubbing is the same, same volume too.
    When you lock a wheel; same.
    In real life; you can hear if a car takes a corner proper, goes in to fast and/or is way off the line or if it locks a wheel.
    This is all the same; making a mid-speed corner with 60 km/h, 200 or you just spin out completely with 300 km/h.
    So I thought the scrubbing was to much but the only solution is to lower the sound. Did so, but now you won't hear it when something goes terribly wrong either.

Raceroom has that one under control: locking up a wheel scares you. I love that. I was hoping this game should be able to do at least that.....

Anyway, that is just my opinion.
    What I'm really here for is @doddynco you said there is an explanation for the new sound system?
    I can't find it.......can you please point me in the right direction a bit?

Emery and Rui Santos like this.
  7. Lazza

Lazza Registered

There's a dev guide (and a user guide, for that matter) on the site. Up the top of this forum, click Site (next to Forums). Mouse-over Guides, and go to the dev guide. The car development section has a guide for the new sound engine.

Your description of the sound, sounds (hehe) like the old SFX system. The new sound system should allow you lots of flexibility. If you get a car sounding right I'm sure (actually I am pretty sure) the devs would like to know about it.

Navigator likes this.
  8. doddynco

doddynco Registered

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1luEBaDkk10rDM6MFvwsVAtdErz-af7Fx/view?usp=sharing

This is updated to use the new sound engine. I'm having a great experience with slip angle/skid sounds in dev mode, but I'm not sure if this is working properly in the commercial version - I will check this when I get chance.

It's a work in progress and there are no exterior sounds yet.

Make sure you unsub from the steam version 'F1 1986 Historical Cars' and restart steam before you install this.

9. Navigator

Navigator Registered

Thanks guys!
    That's a proper read: I'm not going to master the stuff in one night, I'm sure ;)
    But; nice tut and something to play with too: I won't get bored :)

Thanks!