New shadows system

Discussion in 'Wish Lists' started by marcatore, Jan 29, 2012.

1. marcatore

marcatore Registered

As i see in videos, pictures and read from this forum and the web, I'm very surprised that one of the worst graphical thing of rF1 is still implemented as it was also in rF2.
    I'm speaking about shadows.
    I think it's very outdated for a new software that is doing his first walks in 2012 and should work for the next 3/4 years to have a low quality shadows system like we can see today.

I know it's a beta but I suppose that in this months you will be able to fix some features and bugs and I suppose that a new shadows system need months to be implemented.

Knowning that hardware specs grow from months to months and some extra power to compute a better shadows solution will not be a problem, I hope you consider to do implement something new about.

I really like the news lighting and weather system and it is a pity that ugly shadows ruin the graphic aestetic.

Thanks in advance and good development job.

2. blakboks

blakboks Registered

Actually, the shadows HAVE been redone since rF1. Now, all objects are shadow receivers, there's also now self-shadowing--which I don't believe rF1 had. Unlike the vast majority of games on the market, which use precomputed lightmaps for much of their lighting/shadowing, rF2 (like rF1) uses completely dynamic lighting. I believe we are also expecting to see ambient occlusion to be implemented in a future update--which will help out tremendously with updating the look.

Try to be a little more constructive than "the shadows are out-of-date and suck". Offer suggestions on how to improve. Be more specific about what make them so 'bad'. Give an example of what's 'good' and say why it's good.

3. racechicken

racechicken Registered

Sorry marcatore...there is alot possible with the shadows in rf1 at this time.

View attachment 922

What really must be tweaked is the hdr thing in rf2. rf2 isn`t looking so good at this time as rf1 it can.

4. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

I hope shadows are optimized better in the final release. If I enable even the lowest shadow setting my FPS drops to unplayable levels.

5. marcatore

marcatore Registered

I'm not a programmer so I can't post any constructive help.
    What I'm saying is if you open your eyes and look at some games running well in 2012 you can surely see some good example of good looking shadows.
    Try to download UDK o CryEngine3 or to stay in sim racing world watch at Cars or the last AC (Assetto Corsa) screens.
    Obviously UDK or Cryengine have behind them a mountain of dollars and crew but Cars or better AC is like something one-man-band like rF.

And again...is a wishlist for the future, there are much more important things to fix in this beta period...but I hope that for a game that will run for the next 3/4 years something new for the shadows will be necessary.

With a full dynamic lighting system, a good and realistic behavoiur for the shadows is much more important than in fixed lighting condition where as someone wrote you can bake into textures.
    Think about the shadows when it's midday and when the sun is in sunset...
    - at midday strong shadows with a sharp shape
    - at sunset smooth shadows with a blurred shape.