New shaders with GT3 pack

Discussion in 'Car Modding' started by Pauli Partanen, Oct 17, 2017.

1. Pauli Partanen

Pauli Partanen Registered

Hello!
    Is there any info about the new shaders? Also how this new visual damage works?

New Build
    To support the GT3 pack we have also released updates for both the DX11 and DX9 builds. Note that the build number for multiplayer changed too, so you will have to update your dedicated servers!

Build Changelog:

• Added: An extended visual damage model featuring a combination of dents, scratches and cracks on the bodywork of cars, which has been implemented on the GT3 pack.
    • Added: New window and headlight glass shader that produces more realistic reflections. All five GT3 cars use it.

SMT_Modding, Guimengo and Nibiru like this.
  2. Nibiru

Nibiru Registered

@Marcel Offermans Im not going to hold my breath. We are still waiting for details about the multi layer grass with sat map.
    Im getting disappointed with what seems lack of support to modders. It's like S397 doesn't want modders as it hinders the direction that they want graphics to go in.
    In the old days I'd get answers from Luke and so would many others get answers from the specific dev but that's changed. We or I feel this forum isn't helping the way it use to.
    Not me but the modders. I don't think there's many of us left.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2017
  3. Gijs van Elderen

Gijs van Elderen Registered

It's "lite" version off the multi grass dirt.
    Diff_1 and diff_2 share UV1
    Diff_3 and multi moved up in UV channel.
    That's it.

ShaderName=L2MultiSatGrass
    ShaderDesc="Multi layer grass / dirt with Sat Map"

- Diff_1/Spec_1 (UV1);
    - Diff_2/Spec_2 (UV1+vc.g)
    - Diff_3/Spec_3 (UV2+vc.r)
    - Multi+Mow (UV3+vc.b)
    - Normal/Mix (UV1/2)
    - Normal/Mix (UV2/1)
    - Radiosity vc.a

4. MarcG

MarcG Registered

In response to a similar question on discord Chris replied:

We will be working on some tutorials a bit later that explain how this all works:)

Emery, Mauro and Pauli Partanen like this.
  5. Pauli Partanen

Thanks MarcG

6. Nibiru

Nibiru Registered

I don't want to seem like I whingeing and understand the devs are busy. There is a post about the shader and I think Tuttle says something like "We are busy with DX11 but I'll explain it after release" I haven't seen anything.

When you guys are having your discussions on discord Im either working or sleeping. Not everyone lives in a similar time zone.

If I was a noob trying to mod for rF2 for the first time I'd give up unless I had someone I knew who I could ask questions fro, because you can't easily fine info. And then you need a fairly high level of knowledge to understand it.

The amount of questions I get asked in pm or email tells me there isn't enough info also.

I'll shut up now :rolleyes:

7. Jka

Jka Member Staff Member

Please be patient, guys.

GT3 Pack and new build was released 12 hours ago. Give them few hours to sleep and let them take a breath.

Tutorials/information about new shaders and new features will come. :)

WiZPER likes this.
  8. Pauli Partanen

Yeah I am :) Just asking if somebody has more information

9. dylbie

dylbie Registered

I am also eagerly awaiting some documentation on the new stuff.

PS I'm still waiting for some 'generic' street tyres!

10. Chris Lesperance

Chris Lesperance Registered

I hope they release the tires for the GT3s as well. Pirelli World Challenge for example use spec tires across all the GT3 cars. It would help BOP the cars that would get modded by third party

11. Carr

Carr Registered

How hard is it to provide some simple shader details, it would take 2 minutes.

- This is the shader to use.
    - This shader has this many components and this is what each is for.
    - These are some special considerations that you need to be careful of.
    - Here is an example of a new damage file (if necessary)

I have been waiting for years for the implementation of the damage model and am excited to play with it but am currently more interested in a proper tyre guide or at least an update of the 2012 version. The build log thing that was put out last year was very brief and didn't cover anything new other than the spreadsheet which I didn't find overly useful in tuning an existing tyre. There have been several tyre physics changes with minimal information provided by ISI or S397.

12. Carr

Carr Registered

Any update on this yet? There is a call for modders wanting to sell content in the rF2 store but I still haven't seen any information on this new shader and damage system.

TheGame316 and Slow Motion like this.
  13. WiZPER

WiZPER Registered

I imagine some collected info will be released, when the new light- and weather- build is ready.

Pauli Partanen likes this.
  14. Carr

Carr Registered

There isn't even a timeline that has been mentioned for any updates for the very much needed UI let alone the weather build. I wouldn't be surprised if the some of the details for the damage have been said in discord at least once if not more times, but all discord does is tell 1 or 2 people who happen to see it on that particular day. I asked a question on Discord once and even linked the thread for the same question on the forum, there was a reply on discord but another community member that saw it was the only one to post on the forum saying that there was an answer on discord for me. This forum is basically useless for assistance from S397 on pretty much every level, instead they just repeat themselves in discord which doesn't support the community that is trying so hard to support this game.

This game relies on communities using it for leagues in which most run modded content, which is what it was designed for, there is next to no single player market. More and more people I talk to that race are basically over it and have moved on to other racing games or just quit racing, we used to get over 20 attend our weekly racers and now we are around 10 and we aren't the only ones. I have at least 3 communities waiting for a mod I am making that will reinvigorate their numbers but I can't without information. I could spend the 30 or 40 hours it would take me in finishing the models with current shaders, but it is already out of date and would require the same or more time again to update it to what is already supported by the game. More than likely if the information isn't made available for this soon, I will just forget about it and it will be another mod that isn't made and more communities struggling to keep numbers let alone recruit more.

15. dylbie

dylbie Registered

I echo some of these comments actually.

As a 'part time' modder it would be really useful to have a comprehensive list of the best shaders and settings for all types of materials - paintwork, metal, rubber, glass, leather etc.

It would make the casual modder's job so much easier, rather than fumbling around in the dark with trial and error until something looks good.

I was planning on releasing some cars before Christmas, but I'm serisouly considering stopping working on them until I know what's going on with DX11 and what is happening for the next update.

@Studio397 @Marcel Offermans @Christopher Elliott maybe a closed/private sub-forum for modders would be helpful? It would be nice to know that the work that we are doing now, isn't going to be broken in the next update. Or at least some guidance on things. At the moment we are in the dark.

Ernie and Nibiru like this.
  16. Carr

Carr Registered

You can look at existing S397 models to be able to determine what shaders to use and see what their textures look like as the mas files for them are not encrypted. The problem is that the new GT3 content is fully encrypted which means we can't extract that information.

For all DX11 vehicles the "main" mas file containing the physics and such are all encrypted so we can't even look at what they have done to the TGM or what values they are using in their GEN files for lights and LOD's and such.

Nibiru likes this.
  17. WiZPER

WiZPER Registered

Patience...

18. Nibiru

Nibiru Registered

How much patience are we ment to have while we watch our leagues slowly die?
    By the time we get it we'll have no one left in our leagues

19. Bernd

Bernd Registered

I think i can help a little bit here.
    A friend of mine, that is banned from the forum (some people will know who it is), has told me some things about the shader that is used for damage.
    He uses 3DSMax and in the shader list there are 2 shaders with the name 'car body paint with damage'.
    He uses the first one.
    That shader uses 2 more textures than the old car paint shader.
    One as the color map for the damage and one as the bump map.
    The damage color map is the second and the damage bump map the last texture, if i remember right.
    But he told me that the damage only works for the meshes that are listed in the main SLOT Instance of the gen file and that they have to be tagged with 'deformable=true.

I don't know if there are more things needed, it's a while ago when he told me that, but you could try it out, if that is enough to get the damage working.

Nibiru and Pauli Partanen like this.
  20. WiZPER

WiZPER Registered

It's free for every modder to test out these new shaders, and if you have just a minimal experience, it should'nt be hard to figure out what Bernd just wrote above.

But the official info will prob not come untill all new features and light system is implemented.

Leagues dying because of lack of shader info ? please...

Last edited: Nov 14, 2017
    lukilord1, lagg and Pauli Partanen like this.