New Rig

Discussion in 'Hardware Building/Buying/Usage Advice' started by Handsy, May 14, 2012.

1. Handsy

Handsy Registered

Also i see some mobos support pci 3.0 and the gtx 680 supports this, will it be better to get a pci 3.0 compatible mobo if i got a gtx 680?

2. Cleverleyson

Cleverleyson Registered

3. BasJon

BasJon Registered

wow that graph sucks to only get such a lousy performance increase from pci e 2.0 to 3.0 :(

4. mxstud

mxstud Registered

If you want to learn to overclock, then go with the i5 2500k, you will be able to almost oc to the same performance level as the i7 but with HUGE amounts of money saved, the name of the game when you are building your own pc is "bang for buck" that is what all of us here have been trying to help you with. Not to mention that the new i7-3770K is the same in 3dmark11 as the i7-2600k, and you will see that the i5-2500k is not far behind....save your money get the i5-2500k trust me when i say you will not be holding your self back in the slightest, especially if you decide to overclock, and do well.

Again im going to repeat DONT GO WITH ATI here is some benchmarks to go with what im saying....

Guru 3D
    Hardware Heaven
    Toms Hardware 3D Mark11 Extreme Settings

If you do go with ati, just remember, that us nvidia guys will be running the game with out issues

If i were to build a system right this very second with out money being an option, this is what i would choose....
    CPU: i5-2500k - $220
    Cooler: Corsair H-100 - $115
    Mobo: Asus P8Z77-v Pro - $210
    Ram: G.SKILL Sniper Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1866 (higher speed ie 1866 will help with super hard oc) $60
    PSU: Rosewill BRONZE Series RBR1000-M 1000W - $125
    GFX: nVidia gtx680 $500
    Case: COOLER MASTER HAF 932 Advanced RC-932-KKN5-GP (it should allow the h100 to mount internal with no mods) $149

Total:$1380 (and can easily be less if you change out the case/gfx for cheaper alternatives, but thats the only items i would change, you should be able to live with that build for 2years before ever thinking about a new gfx card, and likely sli will be the best option at that point)

its not the graphs fault, its just that pci-e 2.0 is far from being all used up there is plenty of bandwidth left for better cards is all its showing really

5. Bart S

Bart S Member

Exactly the same spec I would select mxstud bar I would choose corsair memory and psu

6. BasJon

BasJon Registered

my reference was the fps gain in the graph and as to saying about ati I was comparing the 7970 to gtx 580 not the new 680 as the price tag is alot more I run my game fine on my 6970 all maxed except shadows.

7. mxstud

mxstud Registered

yea the ram isnt the greatest, but can easily oc with it starting at 1866, but the same could be said with just about any ram, i run supertalent here, got it down to 7-7-7-18 1t@1333, in my head i like tight timings and giving up some speed for them, and did you see the stats on that psu, it says rosewell, but it has the stats of a decent psu

8. Handsy

Handsy Registered

Hi all, once again thanks for all the help and info. Yesturday night I sat down and ordered everything, apart from the GPU as I want the 680 and trying to find the best price. I shopped around and got a good deal on the i7 2700k so went for that, as it was only slightly more than the i5 was, because i got on special offer. So the parts i have purchased so far is:

Intel i7 2700k CPU
    Corsair 120gb force 3 SSD
    Seagate 2TB Barracuda HD
    Samsung blueray CDRW
    OCZ ZA series 850 PSU
    Asus P8Z77-V 1155
    Corsair carbide 500R case
    Corsair H100 cooler
    8GB 2x4GB Corsair vengeance 2133 MHZ

So just the 680 to get now...

This is all new to me and im just giving it a go, spent a week or two researching the best i can online, and taking onboard all you lot here have told me. So hopefully this will run the game ok when the final release is out.

cheers Dan

9. BasJon

BasJon Registered

Nice choices Dan and your welcome good luck on building your new rig, just take your time putting it together step by step and take small breaks in between installing parts and enjoy :) and one thing to add when you have finished building I would recommend you dont connect you hdd untill you install the op system onto you ssd as some mobos it tries to install the boot files onto your hdd instead :)

10. Handsy

Handsy Registered

Thanks buddy, nice to here i didnt completely screw up lol. Thanks for th tip i will do that. Is there a step by step guide on gow to put it all together as i dont even really know where to start?

11. BasJon

BasJon Registered

Well I would watch some vids on youtube before you do then a great place to watch just remember when handling the parts be careful, and I always earth myself first so no static in my fingers :) you can lay you mobo on its protective sheet on a flat surface and install the ram and the cpu, then mount the mobo into the case hopefully your case have the back access panel for screwing you the cpu cooler,then add all your other parts and lastly I connect the wiring I try to do this very neat by getting as many wires behind the mobo and on rear side of case and use cable ties to keep it neat and keep good air flow. When you get your beast 680gtx card I would add this in last as the monster takes alot of room. I take it you have a copy of windows 7 to install after your build. Also if you have case cooling fans make sure you install the right way air in from front and out at rear and or top :)

12. Bart S

Bart S Member

Your gonna have yourself a mighty fine pc there, next comes the fun of overclocking to max performance, it can take weeks to sniff out the fastest most stable setup but its fun and satisfying when you do. Good luck and dont go overboard on the volts look around the web for a rough idea of where safe volt limits are make sure u include 24/7 in your search too.

13. coops

coops Banned

HANDSY i think u have made some great choices.. and most ppl gave you great feedback best of luck with the new rig... dont know about a guide but sure some1 will point you in the right direction..

14. mxstud

mxstud Registered

if you need lots of help putting it together i would be super super careful when it comes time to do the power cables to the motherboard, and putting the cpu into the motherboard, you dont want to bend any pins or anything like that

CPU Install LINK

Power Cables Mobo LINK-LINK

When doing your 20/24 pin power on the motherboard, you should have the extra 4 pins on your powersupply if not dont worry, it will not affect the ability to boot your pc, also same with the 8/4pin power for your motherboard, but if you are going to oc i recommend using 8pin for cpu, and 24pin for mobo giving them the most stable voltage achievable

Forgot to add but.....
    There is a huge debate about how to "properly" install the heatsink, all because of the thermal paste application. The way i have always done it, is put a small pea sized amount in the center of the cpu and then spread it thin and evenly acrossed the rest of the cpu with my finger. It takes a trained touch, but for me, this is the best/easiest method.

Less is more when it comes to thermal paste, but likely you will already have a layer on your h100 so no need to worry about it, but if you do have to apply your own just remember, that if you put lots of thermal paste on it will make a mess out of your cpu/mobo and you will have very high temps

Last edited by a moderator: May 17, 2012
  15. BasJon

BasJon Registered

stud he wont need to h100 comes with its own pre applied paste :) then saw your last paragraph :D

16. mxstud

mxstud Registered

lol i thought that it might be over kill, but i have the h-70 and ended up putting arctic silver 5 on because i needed to remove the previous paste due to it got brittle and dried up from the heat, i think i did something wrong, but i also think maybe it was too thick to begin with, but at any rate, there is a millon reasons why he may need to apply his own thermal paste, esspecially if he ends up have to re-seat the heat sink a few times, they can be a little bit of a pita compared to others, but nothing a novice cant handle with out reading instructions :D

17. BasJon

BasJon Registered

Thats true actually but I owned to h50 before my h100 that was a pita to seat nicely, and like you I re applied arctic silver, but my h100 was so much easier to mount, changed my stock fans to gentle typhoons running on max power clocked currently at 4.6ghz and running 24 idle and load 43 Im a happy bunny :D

18. mxstud

mxstud Registered

i use the stock fans atm to achieve 4.0ghz on my 1090t, my real worry for heat, is my sli'ed 470's, but thats niether here nor there

19. Cleverleyson

Cleverleyson Registered

read the motherboard manual before you do anything, It will help you no end!

20. Cleverleyson

Cleverleyson Registered

Im currentley rocking 1136 on my gpu clock and 1400 on the ram clock.

Ati have done me proud.....now for that other 7950 8))))