Released New Release Candidate Update - Client 7969457

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by Paul Jeffrey, Dec 15, 2021.

1. Binny

Binny Registered

From what i have read through this post S397, need to fix bugs, optimize GRAPHICS, VR, ECT.. & update UI as these seem to be the biggest problem in getting the sim up & running for new users & some old users should be priority number 1 to entice more ppl to buy RF2. Then get CS up to a standard they are happy with, easy & straight forward system for new users and old. Now the core needs all the attention. Why others build/update tracks ,cars for dlc purposes and CS. Last of all optimization is key to every user getting the best experience they can it must be kept up to date on a regular basis. If I'm wrong dont shoot me its just what i think.

2. Lazza

Lazza Registered

OMG, you ignored AI completely :rolleyes: :p

Joking of course. Yep, everything needs work. Only time will tell how that goes.

Everything else is just opinion.

3. pilAUTO

pilAUTO Registered

I told you that I tested these 2 games 6 month ago..... I don't remember exactly, and don't want give you some arguments anyway. You believe what you believe, you play what you want, don't care about your opinion of what is most realistic. I do my test (extensive tests), and I know that I'm right to have chose rF2 according to my preferences and priorities (realism).

Play what you want, my point is not to convince anyone that rF2 is more realistic, I don't care man!

Just want rF2 improve a lot in this aspect after 5 years of almost nothing.

Without wanting to talk about myself, I have never driven the cars in the game, but I have 20,000 km of IRL driving, and for information I switched to rF2 in compensation for my stopping IRL driving, as a promise to my wife because I was going to be a father and that piloting is extremely dangerous.

Most simracers don't have 1 tenth of my IRL piloting experience, it's exactly because rF2 is compensation for reality that I want it to be super realistic .... A SIMULATION WHAT.

4. avenger82

avenger82 Registered

If you don't remember what objectively was wrong with ACC handling, then it means very little.

Problem is that it's not my opinion, but an opinion of people who actually raced these cars IRL. OK you have 20,0000 km of IRL driving, but I wonder how much of it was racing at and over the limit and in what type of cars(road car, sports car, race car).
    I only have some karts experience, but it's easy and relatively safe to really push them, to race at and over the limit, so I think I'm entitled to say which sim has realistic karts handling and if not what is wrong. Now what would you say about person who didn't try karts IRL but has strong opinion that carts in rF2 are unrealistic, but don't remember why.

Again I have very limited track experience and only with two sport cars (no racing cars). Plus I was too afraid to really push them to race at and over the limit ( and that's where often game's physics break). That's why I don't think I or a person with similar IRL experience is entitled to say whether GT3 in ACC or rF2 are more realistic and why. All I can say is that subjectively FFB in rF2 is more immersive, and you can slide and recover more.

juanchioooo and Filip like this.
  5. green serpent

green serpent Registered

I just ran Automobilista and rF2 back-to-back at Brazil in the 911 Gt3 Cup.

It is obvious to me that rF2:

a) lacks front end bite (car understeering at times when it simply should not).
    b) engine has not enough torque to get the rear tyres spinning freely in places where they should spin (too difficult/impossible to get silky smooth powerslides on corner exit.)

Automobilista car did everything right as far as responding to inputs IMO. HOWEVER rF2 still feels much more dynamic in every way.
    rF2 NEEDS to work on tyres and drivetrain!!!! I do not need to be a racing car driver to know when something feels NQR, I have driven one or two cars in my day... But nothing would make me happier than doing actual real world tests, that is probably the only way to know for sure if a car is correct or not (everything here is obviously IMO).

Edit: either something is wrong with the torque, or the tyres are too grippy.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2022
  6. Comante

Comante Registered

This mean just that AMS tends more toward your idea of what to expect from this car on this track.
    Once upon a time, people here were of the kind :"show me the numbers" or "we don't want faked effect, only ones modeled on real numbers". Now things relaxed a bit fortunately... but I hope we don't get too relaxed as to follow personal opinions. :)

7. RaceNut

RaceNut Registered

The Conundrum.

rF2 physics demonstrate strong fundamental aspects to me, some that just feel more "right" than other titles. The general driving physics are great (inconsistencies & tire issues, though). The off-track / spin / crash behavior is largely believable, often very convincing. The resulting FFB produced by the physics is another factor that just works.

The lack of drive-train dynamic modeling seems a major over-sight. The disparity among "physics" qualities within rF2, creates its own internal conflict, of sorts. How can you have such advanced "physics simulation" and completely omit the physical modeling of the drivetrain(?) It's just so very fundamental, being the main linkage between engine & tires. It's the very reason many still prefer a manual gearbox to this day; a greater "connection" with the car.

A large part of the ICE driving experience (especially now, with the evolution toward EV's) is the engine noise, another area where rF2 is severely lacking, imo. Sounds are important, especially where immersion is concerned. There are few cars in rF2 that feature immersive audio for me. Much of what makes ACC / RaceRoom popular can be attributed to the overall audio experience.

Even with the other annoying issues solved (bugs, crashes, UI, etc.), issues with AI / tires / drivetrain / audio, still combine to detract from rF2 living up to its full potential.

I'm sure there are logistical strategies to employ in order to solve such issues in an efficient way but, it is difficult to envision from our POV, especially based on recent developments. Maybe "overly complex modeling / coding" is ultimately rF2's kryptonite in the end. Maybe it's all just been too ambitious from the start, I don't know. It may be why ISI moved on, and why S397 can't seem to make consistent progress. Still hoping for better (rF2) days ahead . . .

TJones, ApexModding, Havner and 2 others like this.
  8. nolive721

nolive721 Registered

Above post says it all, clear factual summary and hopefully eyes opener for the devs

9. Sim_Player

Sim_Player Registered

I don't hate evs IRL but sims are best platform to utilise the ICE monsters of past and present. i really hope we get a V12 race car(s) one day (currently none.......which is shocking when we can a fantasy EV). FE is fine but honestly just no more ev....add brutal sounding ICE engine.

nolive721 likes this.
  10. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

I still remember reading in a car magazine a review of the Ferrari 458. The entire first paragraph was not about driving but standing along side a roadway in the Appalachian mountains. All the first paragraph discussed was the 'SOUND' of the naturally aspirated V8 engine ripping around the twisty roads up in the mountains. They couldn't see the car, it was zooming around the canyon/pass. But they could hear it. I watch races on TV & listen to the newer 488, and while it may be superior in every way, it makes me sad not to hear the raw sound from non-turbo engines.
    Or:
    A Top Gear episode where Jeremy Clarkson was driving a new Aston Martin V12. Everytime he goosed the gas pedal, he became sadder & sadder, because Britain's roadways had become so limiting to really truly explosive cars. (now watch somebody find the exact episode and prove my every memory wrong!!!) :) Sound and THUNDER matter, at least to those of us who were raised in that cacophony.

Sim_Player, RaceNut and pkelly like this.
  11. green serpent

green serpent Registered

I am all for real numbers, and I would want to take it one step further and do dedicated testing in real life and go full scientific method! If the results didn't match my expectation then, well that would be a pill I could easily swallow because I would know that the science is correct and I am wrong.

Assuming they had the data, AMS does use real numbers which they punch directly in, whereas rF2 builds a tyre and hopes that it comes close to the real numbers. They can't simply just change each parameter seperately to have the tyre match the real numbers, everything effects everything else, whereas with AMS there is no such issue.

Yet I am all for the physical tyre over the empirical one due to the dynamic feeling. The results of the AMS tyre (i.e what happens after a given input) feel more correct to me, and this makes sense to my mind because they have the real numbers (or at least close to real numbers). rF2 feels slightly off in places, but overall the way it goes about doing things feels better.

The BMW Class 1 pretty much does what I think it should, but this might just be because it has enourmouse power which more easily overcomes the rear tyres. Many other cars in rF2 to me feel as if they lack "guts", and IDK if this is because I feel like the rear tyres have too much (straight line) grip, or because of the drivetrain, or the sound, or a combination of all.

I say go nuts with as much content as you like if it pays the bills, but there should be at least one car which is a "proof of concept" and is on the cutting edge of simulating a car, with no detail being too small. Maybe not every car can have a drivetrain or the best sound, or physical suspension components that deform, but maybe at least one car which they have real world access to would be possible. This is pure projection on my part, it's like I'm going through the stages of grief and this is the "bargaining" stage lol.

12. Lazza

Lazza Registered

@green serpent your 2 issues identified earlier aren't things that the physical approach should affect. I mean, if there is too little grip at the front on turn-in and too much grip at the rear under power, those are things that could be corrected within the TGM [realtime] section - so if those aspects are wrong (let's pretend/assume someone did some proper testing and measuring) they either didn't bother trying to get them close or couldn't find a compromise between those aspects and others in the time available.

This obviously assumes the problem is in the tyres. It could be something else.

avenger82 likes this.
  13. green serpent

green serpent Registered

Thanks @Lazza, I was not aware that that could be done. In which case I see even less downside in going with a physical tyre. One day I will need to learn how to mess with all these files so I can try things out myself and bitch less ;)

nolive721 and davehenrie like this.
  14. Sim_Player

Sim_Player Registered

it is just superior, u can't go back after growing up with high revving NA / turbo ICE. the sound of 458 alone wins it against 488.
    these gt cars are restricted anyways so putting turbo is useless and adds ballast.
    i like turbo done in m4 class 1 here, revs to moon and has all turbo benefits.
    mazda dpi is same philosophy.

15. Binny

Binny Registered

I have a suggestion for S397 when the get their schedule/plan in place get a WOMAN to be the Project Officer as women are well know for their planning & scheduling and sticking to time frames & making others stick to them. If you dont believe this is true go ask your wife/partner if I'm right. Us girls always keep you men in line. LOL

RaceNut, pkelly, Dady Cairo and 4 others like this.
  16. Nieubermesch

Nieubermesch Registered

Ahaha, well, anything is better then what they've been doing!

Binny and Dady Cairo like this.
  17. green serpent

green serpent Registered

I just asked my partner, and she said you're totally right. She also happens to be the logistics coordinator in the biggest tyre warehouse in Melbourne, and an expert in telling me what to do all the time lol

Binny likes this.
  18. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

I'm not sure I have an opinion on this, let me go ask my wife....

RaceNut, Binny, Dady Cairo and 4 others like this.
  19. Anto870

Anto870 Registered

Dear Studio397, go away and leave this sim at the women, we understand that only they can resurrect this dead sim

Binny likes this.
  20. Kurt Mildenberger

Kurt Mildenberger Registered

Studio 397? When are the Fahreriketten finally available in opt-out. It can not last a long time until this is the case. What's more speed on the part of Studio 397 you can safely expect.