Released New Release Candidate Update - Client 7969457

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by Paul Jeffrey, Dec 15, 2021.

1. vava74

vava74 Registered

ISI abandoned rF2 to die.
    I don't question that ISI produced the base product, a product that is the work of geniuses, but to each its own merits and demerits.
    rF2 would be dead - even if it is not very healthy :-D - if it wasn't for S397, so you should be thankful for that too.

I am HIGHLY critical of the many shortcomings from which rF2 suffers, some of them of S397's responsibility.
    Heck, I prefer - unquestionably - the tyres on the GT500, the C6R, the Megane, to the current main tyres, but we should be headed in a new and good direction with the Formula Pro and M4 Class 1 tyres.

rF2 is still great and it's that greatness that makes it frustrating, as there is soooo much space for it to be even better.

Criticism is warranted and should never stop to exist, but doom and gloom all the time is also detached from reality.

GertjanD, Art_Pereira and atomed like this.
  2. Anto870

Anto870 Registered

The truth is that S397 has far preferred appearance over substance, it's hard to say but for me (who have supported it from the start) rF2 is becoming a dying sim, at least as it is today, it's a continuous decline.
    I remember how it was until there were ISIs, it was great to wait for each new build and see it improve a lot in a few months ...
    Now I see the builds coming ... and the situation is always the same: diagram flat men, completely flat diagram.

Slow Motion, Mauro and Nieubermesch like this.
  3. DmitryRUS

DmitryRUS Registered

After 2 years of development of rF2, it was clear that the developers did not draw out all the conceived potential that they wanted to do. Studio 397 is an economic development, they will not continue to develop rF2, this is a corporation for the creation of paid content. Everything! Forget rally, cross, there will be only popular circuit races that can be broadcast on TV. They do not have the brain power to bring the software product to the level that is needed. None of the problems that were at the beginning of the creation of rF2 have not been resolved.

4. pilAUTO

pilAUTO Registered

S397 cannot miraculously improve its productivity, recruit the best employees in the world and in large numbers, nor correct and improve everything.....

One thing I have been saying from the start is that there is only one thing that is doable in the very (very) short term AND THAT WOULD BRING EXTREMELY SIGNIFICANT AND EVEN QUICKLY IMPROVEMENTS......

This is called choosing the right priorities, and making the right choices. It's free. And this is what has always been lacking in S397.

I've been saying it from the start, no matter if some people don't agree, I think 5 years later it's pretty easy to see that I was right on this precise point.

Choose the right priorities @% & ~ = <+ * #> €

5. pig

pig Registered

I think it might be easier for studio 397 to share their bug list and priorities in the next update. No need to describe the upcoming big items, just the bug list and status. That may make people feel
    Much better

atomed likes this.
  6. vava74

vava74 Registered

I would like to see their contract with ISI.
    I don’t know how restrictive the contract is.
    For instance, it could have been strictly allowing to produce contents and with any changes to the backbone requiring ISI’s input or authorisation, perhaps even to avoid rF2 competing - even if marginally - with rFPro, which I imagine could conceivably happen if rF2 had dynamic interaction between track temperatures and tyre pressures/degradation/grip.
    Also, let's not forget, it's not S397's code and even though I don't know jack-shit about programming, I know that messing around on someone else's code is not easy.
    Again, I believe that criticism is warranted, but the rF2 we have now still produces a magnificent experience (when it works) and innovation just for innovation sometimes can cause more hurt than good.
    For me, it's akin to people liking pizza but craving something different and end up putting pineapple in it and... I know that this analogy might resonate with you! :D

atomed likes this.
  7. DmitryRUS

DmitryRUS Registered

Они этого не сделают. Они скажут, что у них много интересного. Чтобы все были в восторге. Подведение итогов будет только после падения результатов продаж, это будет просто закрытие игры в свободном плавании. Моды не оживляют игру из-за сложности создания.

8. pilAUTO

pilAUTO Registered

Not everyone agrees, but I think there is no equivalence in terms of driving realism and FFB realism in other sims.

This is what I am looking for in the first place.

I therefore continue to use exclusively rFactor 2.

But we hope of course very strong improvements in these areas, but also that there is ASAP a competitor who does as well or better than rF2, whether it is the improvement of an existing simulation or a new simulation.

Really CAN'T wait for this to happen, and quickly.

Let there be more choice, damn it.

Rui Santos and atomed like this.
  9. hitm4k3r

hitm4k3r Registered

I think it's fair to voice criticism or concerns, but what some people are doing here is far beyond that and clearly crossing a line. It's certainly not OK to imply that somone has not enough brain or that someone is lying. There are humans like you or me at the recieving ends so next time use your brains before hitting the reply button. FFS ... :rolleyes:

10. pig

pig Registered

Anyway wish the 24h leman event a success and bring some positive exposure and attention to rfactor2 and wishful thinking for some good thing to happen.

atomed and vava74 like this.
  11. Binny

Binny Guest

S397 introduced dx11 always getting worked on, VR never had an update since its inclusion, UI well it gets worked on more by someone who does not work for them. These are the things they have no excuse not to maintain at a high level & cannot blame ISI for. CS well that's where all the work looks to be going for Esports. A lot of the small updates are just CS updates. Can they crack the DIVINCI CODE take RF2 to the next level i dont really know.

atomed and Nieubermesch like this.
  12. Havner

Havner Registered

Not even that, the guy that was improving the UI stopped updating his work unfortunately :(

Last edited: Jan 12, 2022
  13. avenger82

avenger82 Registered

Have you tried ACC?

14. Havner

Havner Registered

I like ACC, but saying that ACC feels close to rF2 in terms of "driving realism and FFB realism" is brave o_O

15. avenger82

avenger82 Registered

IDK but for me stating that S397 has not enough brain power might be just a fact. They are certainly not a big company and seem understaffed to fix long standing bugs and issues. If proper drivetrain and gearbox simulation was easy they would do this few years ago. Same with hybrid support etc.. Many things were promised, but not only were not delivered - we see almost no progress in development. New UI development took so long , but still is functionally not better than the old one(there are couple improvements, but some regressions too. But OK at least it has modern look now.
    It’s clearly not easy to work with millions of lines of legacy code that S397 inherited from ISI. You clearly need a lot of brain power to work with that and keep improving. You could say that hiring a physics dev or devs in general is increasing brain power, which I’d say is very welcome in rf2.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2022
    Filip and Havner like this.
  16. avenger82

avenger82 Registered

Well, none of us raced GT3 in reality, so I only depend on opinions of people who actually did. and they say ACC cars handle closest to real.

17. Havner

Havner Registered

Maybe, that is not really what I meant. Should've been clearer. True, I cannot say which is closer to reality. Probably none of us can. What I meant and what is the reason people love rF2 is its feel of driving, feeling the car through FFB, what it does, its tires, etc. And this is what I meant and this is what I think @pilAUTO meant in his post (correct me please if I'm wrong). And that is the area ACC is miles behind.

18. pilAUTO

pilAUTO Registered

@avenger82

I spent about 4 hours actively testing the physics of ACC and AMS 2 about 6 months ago, and perfectly configuring the entire menus for these games.

I can't remember exactly what hadn't convinced me (I'm talking about the behavior of cars above all, which I distinguish from the FFB), and I found it lacking in realism, without it being arcade.

As for the FFB, that of rF2 is not only much more immersive, pleasant... It seems to me much more realistic, in particular when it is configured well in rF2 and in the driver (for sand and grass you have to put the off road multiply on 1 = 100% but everything else is fine).

So on the 2 SEPARATE and TOGETHER aspects, I find that rF2 is much more realistic. Or a little more realistic, but A LITTLE CHANGES ABSOLUTELY EVERYTHING.

Simulation = search for realism, that's why I'm on rF2. But UI, graphics, esport are more important :(

Art_Pereira likes this.
  19. PatientRF2fan

PatientRF2fan Registered

so fascinating and misunderstood RF2
    upload_2022-1-12_17-20-0.png

Emery and avenger82 like this.
  20. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Can I please point out a contradiction?

You are constantly asking for physics upgrades and updates for all the cars. That's cool, I'm with you there, I'd like physics enhancements too.

Then you say you're here because of the physics and FFB, and that makes sense - we're all here for that, because that's the 1 thing rF2 does well.

Then you say the physics should have been worked on since 5 years ago, as a priority.

Now: if rF2 is already at the top in physics, would it really benefit rF2's popularity to further improve it? The people unable to cope with the UI, AI, bugs, etc, in order to have the existing solid physics will ignore those things if the physics further improves? I can't see it.

I think the current physics, with its omissions and flaws (actual flaws, not YouTube video crowd flaws), sitting behind a solid user experience and with accessible racing via the CS will generate far more interest and revenue than some physics features in the coming months/years. A popular and profitable rF2 is then better placed to work on what's missing - like physics, audio, gameplay.

The CS isn't just esports by the way - that's for everyone, right now.