Released New Release Candidate Update - Client 7969457

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by Paul Jeffrey, Dec 15, 2021.

1. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

I know what it is, but I'm not supposed to talk about licensing old Can-Am cars or...darnit!!!!

pkelly and PatientRF2fan like this.
  2. green serpent

green serpent Registered

Yes most or many of us here feel the same way, but other sims are making leaps and bounds in progress to the core of their simulation while S397 by contrast has done a lot, but nothing to really take it to the next level and cement rF2 place as the pinnacle of racing simulation for the forseeable future. It was way ahead but has been losing ground.

rF2 has the best FFB, but for how long? rF2 has the best tyre model (despite flaws), but for how long? What happens when one of the other sims overtakes rF2 in one of these key areas? rF2 is still the best driving experience and driving feel as of right now imo but the other sims are catching up and they have the momentum while S397 is just starting to really get things going recently with new tyre data, but who knows now what will happen with everything that's happened recently.

3. Mibrandt

Mibrandt Registered

I dont get why ppl are worried about other sims overtakes RF2 in the physics and tire model areas? IMO that would be the best thing to happen to all the users - we are in a position where we can pick and choose whatever we want, remember? Its like some think they are on a contract to only ever use RF2 or something...

4. Balazs Magyar

Balazs Magyar Registered

Yep. I'm usually loyal in general, but if I get a sim with just slightly better features than rF2 with faster dev cycle... I don't know. rF2 is fortunately superior. Yet.

Nieubermesch likes this.
  5. green serpent

green serpent Registered

I guess after spending a number of years with the game and so many hours, not to mention following the progress and interacting with the community in the forum, I want it to succeed. It's the same for any other brand I like. It's like saying what if KIA makes a better sports car than Alfa Romeo, sure it is a net plus for auto enthusiasts, but for me I want Alfa to make the better car because that's the brand I like more and am already on board with. I would legitimately be very happy if another game were to come along and be the best, much happier than living with the status quo right now. But I would probably be more happy if rF2 were to then leap frog that game and be the best with some new innovation or whatever.

6. Fer

Fer Registered

I do not know exactly what rfactor lacks in terms of physics, what I do think and perhaps is one of the causes of the discomfort expressed in this thread, is the lack of reliability in supporting the content that they develop themselves, It seems that they will settle for leaving things half or not well finished, not to mention features that they take for granted that they must be mods made by third parties, but in the end what remains is a lack of confidence, I think.

r00b Driver and Elcid43 like this.
  7. Comante

Comante Registered

I think it is a problem of short term gratification. I see the same in my flightsim community, half of the group prefer to fly DCS beta, just because new features are poured out faster, even if this mean to have half the people to fly with, even if sometimes this mean they can't fly due to unexpected troubles. They try the new stuff, then want new stuff.
    Short term gratification can't survive frustration= people unhappy like they are addicted .

pkelly, Alessio Feletto and atomed like this.
  8. atomed

atomed Member

IIRC that had a name in terms of marketing, something like hostage customer. The more you pay, the more attached you are emotionally to the product. From my own experience it´s much stronger in that other $im :rolleyes:

9. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

From my point of view rF2 (the Studio) lacks most in fixing new introduced bugs, old and well known bugs and some singleplayer missbehavior. Not to forget the bugged ai...

Dady Cairo likes this.
  10. green serpent

green serpent Registered

I believe it's "Customer Stockholm Syndrome". For rF2 we could rename it to "Simracer Netherlands Syndrome" ;)

atomed likes this.
  11. atomed

atomed Member

Lol you´re right. Now that I remember, some guys in Stockholm were kidnapped and forced to play a simracing game for days, then they couldn´t try any other sim o_O

Lazza and Juergen-BY like this.
  12. herve

herve Registered

I have been using RF2 for almost two years (after having been with RF1 for a long time) and frankly it saddens me to see how they are constantly being demolished on this forum. RF2 has come a long way (editor's note) and I find that they have already raised the bar. Certainly it is true that we are in a world where everything is going fast and whoever remains behind is unfortunately doomed. But it would just be enough that they take better account of the opinions of the players and focus their priorities on that instead of getting lost in developments that are not necessarily important or expected, and I recognize that we often have the impression that they find an excuse not to do certain things .... But I prefer to be optimistic and encourage them because having tried several other simulations (AC, ACC, AMS ... not to mention them) I quickly returned to RF2 because frankly I could not find my account at the level of the FFB and physics. And for RF2 even if the DLC part is not very rich there is still very good and very varied content produced by the community and which is constantly evolving. Finally here was a small reaction on my part and if this game no longer meets the expectations of some why not look elsewhere? if the others are that good then don't hesitate, you don't have a lifetime contract with RF2. :)

13. burgesjl

burgesjl Registered

I've been a long term user of iRacing since 2008. It's the pinnacle of online multiplayer racing. It's expensive relatively speaking, but still, the annual subscription is like buying 2 AAA games per year, and pales into insignificance next to the amount we spend on computers and peripherals to do our hobby. But yet there have been things about the iRacing software that don't work so well, for the driving experience - tire model and FFB don't feel as good as rF2. So, I've always kept rF2 around to do offline driving when I got racked off enough with iRacing that I had to escape it. Upgrading the graphics helped, but I was also encouraged a lot when S397 started adding good, contemporary content like GT3s and Prototypes. I thought, if only rF2 can do some things with online racing and make it as easy as iRacing, I might be tempted to switch for that as well...

It's time for one of those how it started/how its going memes. And the news is frankly terrible for rF2. It's got like 5 road courses laser scanned and maybe 4 or 5 others that they could use in their competition system, and 5 tracks only suitable for Formula E. The CS is stillborn; and there's no way to get together with just a couple of buddies to have a multiplayer race ad-hoc. With iRacing, you can spin up a hosted server in seconds, though it'll cost you a few bucks to do so.

I'd bought ACC fairly recently to see what the buzz was about, primarily to see how good the graphics were given UE was the direction for many racing games, but also to see if the driving experience was as good as iR or rF2. It isn't, for either one of them. I can't see myself adding more content to that or racing it online, it just doesn't feel good enough. I'd owned Project Cars 2, and that didn't feel right either. I didn't want to buy AMS 2 because that was probably going to just be another version of PC2 that I already knew the flaws of. But I folded a couple of weeks ago, primarily because AMS2 offered CART 98 cars plus Cleveland, plus it was on offer dirt cheap from Steam. Well, its certainly better than PC2 in the driving experience, but it still doesn't match either IR or rF2. It does offer quick ad-hoc multiplayer direct from the UI, should you have buddies who do that; and we'll see if they can grow the more organized, rating-based multiplayer (PC2 never did with the same basic scheme).

The problem with making a change to other sims, is the investment in the content. I've got a decades worth of iRacing cars and tracks - more than I can ever use, frankly. To reinvest in all that for RRE, AMS2 or any other sim, will cost hundreds of dollars. I invested in rF2 as my alternative. But frankly, if all I'm going to use it for still is that offline experience, its just not worth it. And the final kicker; iRacing has invested in development of their offline offering. It's got everything you want; offline championships, track choice and car choice and AI rosters. The AI is far superior to anything else that exists. All easy to use in the UI. It doesn't have rain; but frankly the rain implementations in all sims but especially for rain AI in rF2, there's game-breaking bugs that make any niceties in the graphics completely pointless. If S397 want rain, they need to fix ALL aspects of it. They just can't seem to decide on a feature area and fully develop it. Lots of ideas, almost no execution. Development of the CS has ground to a complete halt, and we've got no idea what they intend to do with it either in terms of using what they have or developing it further to expand participation.

14. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

Yes. If it happens. But it won't. Gamers, and even simracers are majorly blue pilled, the younger it goes the more blue pilled people are. Because of that people cares less and less about reality, truth, understanding how stuff works... It is pretty much a universal thing. In terms of simracing it basically means that there is not as much need for further evolution of realism in this genre, and I think even regress could possibly happen in order to satisfy more ignorant and less accountable generation of people, especially male population as female do not simrace a lot to begin with.

Anyway... it is sad to see all this lead being wasted. Although as I said above, sim devs probably just aren't inclined to pursue realism as much anymore. Perhaps for more features, but not in depth. And rF2 might stay as "best FFB" (although FFB is so because best physics) sim for the rest of eternity because there won't be demand for anything more advanced than Assetto Corsa, and people might even become more ignorant year after year as it comes to vehicle dynamics, and reality perception overall as technology takes over and causes massive atrophy of human mind as it already did during last century: https://medicalxpress.com/news/2018-06-iq-scores-1970s.html

Another aspect why it is hard to let rF2 go is modding. But it is difficult to mod anyway, at least for me due to not using 3Dsmax. Future sims are going to be less likely moddable.

Nieubermesch likes this.
  15. Love Guitars n Cars

Love Guitars n Cars Registered

I'm just posting to say I enjoy rF2. It's entertainment for me so I don't get too worked up over the issues.

On a side note to the people posting the YouTube video. I'll give you a little bit of history on the guy who makes those videos. He was perma banned from iRacing a few years ago for being a troll. So take whatever he says with a grain of salt. Sorry for the off topic.

16. Elcid43

Elcid43 Registered

I couldn't agree more that he is just a poop stirring troll, unfortunately the stock price is a troubling fact

17. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

He absolutely is. It doesn't mean that he might not be right in some occasions. But definitely info and opinions has to be taken carefully.

18. pilAUTO

pilAUTO Registered

I think all the people who complain have already looked elsewhere and are not satisfied with the competition, especially in physics and FFB.

People are simply extremely disappointed and they are right, and unfortunately also frustrated because the competition is not yet up to par in physics/FFB.

You misunderstood the problem of people who complain.
    It is 100% obvious that if ACC or AMS 2 were both better in physics and FFB, rFactor 2 would be totally dead and buried.

Elcid43 likes this.
  19. juanchioooo

juanchioooo Registered

I complain about certain things about rfactor, but it is my only simulator ... that said, I think they should do the following:
    1st correct faults and errors, obviously old faults included, especially connection problems
    2nd repair the tire system
    3rd I do not mind supporting quality DLC but always first the 1st and 2nd articles first
    4th then if you want to improve graphics, drops of water, clouds, sky and trees, ok ... but it is not the main thing for me ... more important 1st and 2nd

Despite my complaints I will continue to support rfactor 2, all the other sims are below .... including the rental sim that Iracing has become, which seems to me personally a hoax, I do not need the competition system since I participate in several leagues and I organize myself better, ... obviously unexpected players are more interested in a competition system of arriving and running, but it is not my case:cool::rolleyes:;)

Nieubermesch likes this.
  20. Nieubermesch

Nieubermesch Registered

Hey juninhooooo, OBAN here... Unblock me in the discord, I'm sorry I
    Hi Juninhooooo! OBAN here :D:D. Unblock on Discord, I behave now :). I've been wanting to like some of your comments and I can't :(.

Good priorities by the way! ;)