Released New Package Management System

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by Paul Jeffrey, Jan 30, 2023.

1. instinkt

instinkt Registered

I won :cool:

davehenrie likes this.
  2. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

There is the big bold announcement. I bow to your insight.

3. FS7

FS7 Registered

Is there any way we can get the option to install content only once? Having every piece of content installed twice is a pita for those of us who have limited SSD space.

Bernat likes this.
  4. burgesjl

burgesjl Registered

Two things might be happening here. Only one of which is a problem.

There are 2 files with different version numbers on the latest DLC - say, 1.86 and 1.87. This isn't a duplicate. The lower number contains all the 3D models and physics, the higher one contains all the liveries. These aren't duplicates.

What can cause duplicates, is if you have subscribed to some content (car livery packs) from the Workshop, or signed up for a series in either the CS or some other online service. The latter creates a subscription to a series, that includes specific version numbers for cars/tracks. In my case, this results in 2 versions of Spa installed. You have to go either into the Steam area to unsubscribe from this Inventory, or use ModMgr to delete the series file, and at that point you can also delete the old duplicate of content. Less than intuitive, and it remains to be seen if the new Package capability properly recognizes the series subscriptions and simply reinstalls, or is clever enough to eliminate the former requirement.

5. instinkt

instinkt Registered

it "duplicate" things in some way
    u have rfmod files in the workshop folder and then installed cars in the vehicle folder
    on paper these rfmods are not necessary since if u manually installs mods that aren't on workshop u can delete these rfmods from the packges folder after installation and it will work but if u delete rfmods of things downloaded from workshop or bought as dlc then it will delete the content if I'm not mistaken

Last edited: Jan 31, 2023
  6. Michael Croshaw

Michael Croshaw Registered

This hasn't aged well.

davehenrie and Bill Worrel like this.
  7. hitm4k3r

hitm4k3r Registered

That option is allready there but it requires a bit of a workaround. You simply have to grab the rfcmp files that are stored in your steam workshop folder, unsubscribe and drag them into the packages folder and install them manually. Problem is, that defies the whole purpose of the workshop wich is keeping everything up to date without user interaction.

Eric Rowland likes this.
  8. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

YUP, I'll own that.

Lildave likes this.
  9. Tomislav Leskovic

Tomislav Leskovic Registered

You can replace these files in the workshop folder with empty ones with the same name and extension. Downside is that if you try to verify the integrity of the files, those empty ones will be download again. Also, sometimes updates are not downloaded automatically.

10. Foxtrot

Foxtrot Registered

Hi.
    If you have more free space on a different drive then windows symbolic links are your friend.

Regards.

11. hallenstein

hallenstein Registered

I try again ... anybody came across the same problem?
    I can't install local content (i.e.3rd party mods that are not from the workshop) anymore
    keeps on telling me there is an update missing and the content is not fully installed
    happens with the urd mods and others
    pls help
    :(

12. Bernat

Bernat Registered

Opt out the RC to install local content.

13. hallenstein

hallenstein Registered

thank you

14. Bernat

Bernat Registered

No prob. You can also use the mod manager, it works in the RC. I forgot about it.

15. FS7

FS7 Registered

That's not what I'm talking about, I'm talking about having workshop content installed in the game folder and have the same workshop content installed again in the workshop folder. There's no reason for that, it takes away extra disk space, it's a dumb design choice imo especially taking into account I never play online. There should be an option to not keep duplicates in the workshop folder.

Unless you're dealing with old content that doesn't get updated that's not really an option.

nolive721 likes this.
  16. Booth_doberman

Booth_doberman Registered

I try to explain this to people all the time and they just don't understand. For those who don't understand, it's the Windows mklink command. And, no, it's not "just like a shortcut."

Balazs Magyar and Owen Pyrah like this.
  17. Martin Vindis

Martin Vindis Registered

18. gianluca

gianluca Registered

The new content manager is still not enough in my opinion. The player should have the ability to select what to download before installing the game. We need to see the owned DLC content in the Steam workshop and unsubscribe from there. This way we can download a clean base version of the game, if wanted. Otherwise add the button Unsubscribe in the content manager UI.
    Like it is right now, looks like during a clean install, the game will download the owned content by default and let the player uninstall it later. Am I wrong?

19. Simonk

Simonk Registered

Hey guys, I'm finding that when I uninstall a Local rfcmp package, it immediately disappears from the list instead of showing as not installed. I therefore don't have the option to delete it. Refresh doesn't bring it back. I have to restart the game for it to reappear in the list and then I can delete it.

20. AlexHeuskat

AlexHeuskat Registered

Well done, Finally I can easily manage everything, I hope if I reinstall, I can stop downloading everything, I only want paid DLC