New Ownership?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by graphicaluserinterface, Mar 3, 2021.

Tags:
  1. graphicaluserinterface

graphicaluserinterface Registered

Last edited: Apr 6, 2021
    McKiernan, Goncalo Costa and yoss like this.
  2. TheMenace

TheMenace Registered

https://webcache.googleusercontent....+&cd=1&hl=sv&ct=clnk&gl=se&client=firefox-b-d

Motorsport Games Enters into Binding Term Sheet to Acquire Developer Studio397 and its rFactor 2 Simulation Platform
    Studio397 brand and name to remain under Motorsport Games banner. Updates and iteration of rFactor 2 to continue under Studio397

MIAMI, FL — March 3, 2021 — Motorsport Games Inc. (NASDAQ: MSGM) (“Motorsport Games”), a leading racing game developer, publisher and esports ecosystem provider of official motorsport racing series throughout the world, announced today that it has entered a binding term sheet to acquire Studio397 BV, the company behind the industry leading rFactor 2 racing simulation platform, from Luminis International BV. The acquisition will see Studio397 continue its work on rFactor 2 while also developing the physics and handling models for Motorsport Games’ forthcoming projects. Motorsport Games expects to utilize its resources and expertise to enhance the rFactor 2 offering, especially in areas highlighted by the racing community.

Studio397 and Motorsport Games have long worked in tandem, with rFactor 2 providing the simulation platform for the highly successful 24 Hours of Le Mans Virtual race, as well as the Formula E Race at Home Challenge, both of which were operated by Motorsport Games. It is expected that Studio397 will retain its name and branding with the existing development team and management will remain with the studio.

“We have been working with the team at Studio397 for a long time on both game development and esports. This is an acquisition that, when completed, makes complete sense for all parties and we are delighted to have them agree to join the Motorsport Games family,” said Stephen Hood, President of Motorsport Games.

“Studio397 has a clear passion for virtual racing and together we recognised an opportunity to work as one team to advance the genre to the next level,” continued Hood. “We see this as great news for the sim racing community as we can now leverage the best elements of the rFactor 2 platform, combine it with our foundational use of Unreal Engine (developed by Epic Games) and layer in the additional components our talented teams have spent the last two years developing. Our aim was to start out with a product that had heart and soul. When the planned acquisition is completed, we can operate safe in the knowledge that another piece of an ambitious puzzle has been secured.”

“After growing rFactor 2 in the last five years, we are excited to take the next step with Motorsport Games, advancing rFactor 2 and integrating its advanced simulation technology into future projects. We share a common ambition to be the best at what we do,” said Marcel Offermans, Managing Director, Studio397.

“This planned acquisition is another clear signal of our intention to establish Motorsport Games as the leader in the virtual racing space. We continue to utilize the capital committed by our shareholders to aggressively pursue our goals,” added Dmitry Kozko, CEO of Motorsport Games. “Securing rFactor 2 and the expertise behind will be a huge advancement for us. We will bring our experience and knowledge to help maximize the potential of the rFactor 2 platform while also having exclusive access to its best-in-class technology for our future projects.”

“The level of simulation and the feeling of driving offered by rFactor 2 is second to none,” shared Fernando Alonso, Motorsport Games shareholder, Alpine Formula 1 driver and two-time Formula 1 World Drivers’ Champion. “I am delighted that Studio397 and rFactor 2 will be joining our Motorsport Games family and I am sure that we will enjoy a great deal of success together.”

This latest announcement from Motorsport Games follows a string of exciting developments, including the upcoming acquisition of KartKraft from Black Delta and announcements of forthcoming games based upon the iconic 24 Hours of Le Mans and the British Touring Car Championship, in addition to the company’s existing NASCAR projects.

McKiernan, HomieFFM, yoss and 3 others like this.
  3. Postipate

Postipate Registered

Hopefully this speeds up things in development :)

traind likes this.
  4. TheMenace

TheMenace Registered

5. burgesjl

burgesjl Registered

Hopefully its trebles all round for the S397 team and @Marcel Offermans based on this announcement. There will be a lot of stuff on their plate now - NASCAR, ACO, FE and BTCC to name just some, PC and console too. Hopefully Motorsports Games has more juice than just the money to acquire the studios they have, and can significantly beef up the development resources of both coders and content developers/dynamics engineers. Huge numbers of cars and tracks needed to fulfill these commitments.

Only 1 thing concerns me: previous statements by MG that they want to leverage UE4. I bought ACC a couple of months ago, and I have to say, its pretty crap for racing simulators. ACC in particular is awful as regards the tree shadows constantly changing/strobing even at Epic level. Plus, performance is not great and especially so in VR. It took Kunos a long time to rebuild all their assets for UE4 (tracks and cars) and tracks in particular we already severely lack. Replacing the graphics engine for a second time and then optimizing it is non-trivial and the engine its likely moving to doesn't have a great track record (hi GTR3/Simbin). Add in all the work that still needs to be done to the Competition system, and lots of work ahead.

traind likes this.
  6. instinkt

instinkt Registered

it's not working like that
    Motorsport Network is BIG company taking part in all branches of motorsport
    S397 not gonna make BTCC game it will be created by some other studio same like NASCAR game (704Studio) but they gonna help for sure because they know the engine
    and they not announced moving to UNREAL in rFactor, they just want to use it in new projects based on the rF engine (BTCC etc.)

7. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

They know MOST of the engine!

8. TheMenace

TheMenace Registered

9. John R Denman

John R Denman Registered

Sounds like to me, Motorsports Games wanted access to the rFactor2 physics engine and found a way to do it. Likely the terms allow S397 to operate autonomously. Expect some time spent on collaborations and cross-training at the least. Nothing in software development really comes that quickly, just a series of baby steps.

rigodon likes this.
  10. 9Revan

9Revan Registered

I'm cautiously optimistic. I spent about $100 on rF2 during the sale, I'd hate to see it put on the back burner in favor of something new by the devs. However, more than anything I'm hopeful the hybrid rFactor/ Unreal Engine thing they're going to work on will still run great in VR.

11. traind

traind Registered

I can't see how this can be anything but good news. S397 was making good progress but wasn't made of money. If this deal injects capital for development resources into RF2 then that's great news. And if we get another title with the RF2 engine, more good news.

I agree with the comments on UE4... I think it's a bad trade off for most simracers and I think ACC proves that. But we know that RF2 could use a bit of a graphics boost to attract the people who need to see that into the title.

And how about that endorsement that was sneaked in?! Alonso saying RF2 is the best feeling simulator... pretty cool.

shovas and Narrowbackwing like this.
  12. Paul McC

Paul McC Registered

Wow! Well this could go one of two ways, lets hope its the good way for simracing. I do wonder if what this means is RF3, or whatever the next step is to be titled. But merging the ISImotor with the Unreal engine, sounds like a monumental task! Mind you, with the kinda monitery muscle and management this deal brings it might just be the catapult that is needed to make a big task move fast. Anyway I don't know, but I do know this is massive news! Does seem to be leaning towards the good news camp to!

13. Paul McC

Paul McC Registered

Reading further into it great to see its gunna be further dev of RF2, but then using RF2 physics in future titles, oh man this is interesting stuff!

14. John R Denman

John R Denman Registered

Alonso isn't alone among the name brand racers to say that, its a pretty common assertion among those who've tried various sim packages. The same goes for not so famous folks who've raced.

When mergers like this happen it usually leads to a slowdown on product delivery for the acquired, but I suspect that will only be temporary as the Zoom meetings grow for a while. With the UI still in a state of flux some time will be spent in collaboration to add new resources for completing the UI. Once the UI is stable distribution of core code to other platforms along with a more production oriented DLC entity adds significant revenue options as does organized race events.

Of course the worst that can happen is a 6 mile asteroid strikes earth, but thats probably not going to happen anytime soon.

15. likes_simracing

likes_simracing Registered

While this might be true, it is hard to tell what his real opinions are because the announcement also says he is a shareholder. :) His view is automatically invalid, even if true.

To me, the one thing that implies how 'realistic' rF2 is was the lack of (vocal and public) criticism of the game in the aftermath of the 12hr Le Mans last year, knowing that teams took the preparations seriously and fielded factory drivers.

sman, Pawel44 and vancstar like this.
  16. John R Denman

John R Denman Registered

Perhaps, but as a shareholder/board member he put his money where his mouth was. I would say that's a pretty honest endorsement in itself.

traind likes this.
  17. lagg

lagg Registered

Or could be the opposite, put his mouth where his money was (or was going to be).
    Honestity or investment?

shovas likes this.
  18. likes_simracing

likes_simracing Registered

He might have been an MG investor long before they thought of rF2 as an acquisition. In which case, he believed in MG as an investment, not rF2. Unlikely that he is part of the team that decides which sim to buy, so when the MG team decided, they thought, hey why not include a quote from FA. Doubt he spent time evaluating KartKraft, but he also said glowy praise about that (implicitly putting aside rF2's kart offering). Standard PR really.

Had MG bought ACC and Kunos offered a better business sense as an acquisition than S397, the PR would have said, "...FA, having spent time extensively participating in sim e-sports and experiencing a wide range of competing sim products, noted that ACC is unmatched in realism and produces an experience closest to driving a real race car."

Now do I think what he said is true, probably, because again, he did not really criticize the simulation last year other than the drive-through/no fuel thing.

Pawel44 likes this.
  19. traind

traind Registered

I agree with this. Alonso has no need to lie to the public to make a little extra spending cash, lol.

On the other hand, I don't need his or any other pro driver's recommendation to help me decide what I prefer. I just thought it was a cool endorsement. There are a lot of variables that determine what sim feels best for you... so many that it's hard to make comparisons without a lot of discussion on things like what you expect to feel, what element of feel are you most focused on etc. Then add in different hardware, different hardware settings, different software settings and different car set ups and now any comparison of feel gets quite tricky. So what you are experiencing vs what you are expecting to feel can be quite a ways off from what I am feeling.

20. DucMan888

DucMan888 Registered

Alonso's endorsement alone is worth as much as other athletes that have put their name/face to a game Look at some of the past releases with champions of all types of racing and the game's cover was about as far as the credibility went when the game itself was an also ran. Sponsorships as well, IMSA, GT3, F1 the list goes on and on of organizations that are more than happy to receive payment for use of a name regardless of the product that ultimately winds up on our hard drive, with no consequences. When was the last time someone quit watching F1 because EA Sports released a sub-standard arcade game and called it a realistic F1 sim?

But being a shareholder puts Fernando Alonso's 'endorsement' in a different light as far as I'm concerned.

I hope this acquisition is good for all parties, but in particular rF2 as the progress made along with the potential yet to be realized would be a shame if it wound up as another foot note in the sim/game racing long list of hopeful contenders.