New Guy - Should I Get RF2?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ef123, Jun 30, 2016.

1. Lazza

Lazza Registered

It should have installed all the base content. If you unsubscribed from all items in the workshop you won't have them 'installed', but they're still sitting in that 11GB ready should you want to install them (by subscribing; no download required because you already have the files). If that hasn't worked then hopefully someone can help; mine went without issues.

The ironic part about your constant "10 year old engine/game/graphics" stuff (yeah, it's not the prettiest, but it's not THAT dated) is that the wheel you keep talking up, and which you said was released in 2011, is basically the same as the G25 which was released much much earlier. The main difference, apart from more wheel buttons, is the angled gearing which makes it feel smoother but produces that horrible noise when you run over kerbs and grass.

And adjusting the FFB settings WILL make a huge difference to what you can feel with the car, because it sounds like you're running the force way too high. Again, clipping, etc. If you want to make the sim feel more like a sim you need to learn about this stuff.

2. lagg

lagg Registered

I don't complaint of you, and your post confirms what i say.
    I recommend you to ask for a refund because the way rF2 works is not for you.
    I'm serious and my post is not ironic.

3. Minibull

Minibull Member

I love it when people post up for help in solving their issues, and take the information given onboard to fix and change their experiences, seeing as we are the ones who use the product daily...it really is great to see.

4. Ef123

Ef123 Registered

g27 was 2009 I think, but yes you are right, its same as g25 but just a few more buttons and less loud.

I waited like 15-20min for workshop to download, after realizing its not going to end i cancelled it and entered the single player, there was only a few that it had downloaded during that 20min period. then I tried to join servers, each of them asked for missing content, some started downloading, others gave errors etc.

i dont understand, why is it not already there installed and not ready to go right after i download whole 11gb? then in the menus there could be button called "more content" and when a new user is bored and wants new content, he clicks it and it leads you to workshop. and after the initial install you dont have to download or wait for anything else. is it so hard to make it less hard for the people who actually pay you?

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 6, 2016
  5. hitm4k3r

hitm4k3r Registered

While interupting the download of the official content via steam workshop you interupted the download of the content that you've paid for. Good Job. Yes, you have to download content to use it. It does not sit on your hardrive out of nowhere in any magic way. As you allready have AC I don't think, that you interupted the download either and started the game and wondered that it does not work.

The more you talk the more you come across as a troll and not a person searching for help. And in case that you really don't know how to get the software going properly, wich in fact is pretty easy when you have 5 years sim experience as you claimed, then your tone is completely inapropriate and your passive agressive behaviour out of place. Maybe it is frustration, who knows. But nobody forced you to buy the product nor to use it and it was your own responsibility and decission.

AMS runs better because there is less going on under the hood. Take it or leave it.

So my last advice for you: let the game download all the official content, fix your clipping wheel and take one of the easier to drive road cars like the Corvettes or the NSX to any track you like and go easy on the inputs. It might click one day :)

6. stonec

stonec Registered

Those servers that you can't join are likely asking for modded content, or at least everything should autodownload after you click join if it's not modded, modded content can't obviously be included in the main install. Also 99% of ISI content should be included in that 11 Gb main download, only very recent ISI content released after latest build (6.6.2016) needs to be downloaded from workshop.

AMS graphics is running gMotor 2.0 (from ISI, with slight tweaks from Reiza), rF2 is gMotor 2.5. It may look better in certain situations, but I guess it's mainly because that particular track you tried was better made or had art that looked better to your eye. Their engine is still years behind rF2, Reiza 2017 (AMS 2.0?) will supposedly be using a completey new engine for graphics rendering so that might change the situation.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 6, 2016
  7. Associat0r

Associat0r Registered

Not with the right content. rF2's gfx use HDR and are physically much more correct.

rF2's main UI has more functionality and its garage UI takes less clicks to get around, and allows you to compare setups side by side, among other things.

There are other HUD's for rF2 and plugins
    * http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/...dfileid=0&browsesort=textsearch&section=items

* http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php/7546-rF2-Pedal-Overlay-Plugin

* http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php/19517-Delta-Best-plugin-for-rFactor-2

* http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php/22203-rF2-Spotter-Plugin

* http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php/28648-Curs-o-Radar-released

* http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php/23056-TrackMapPlugin-V0-96-32bit-64bit

8. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

I guess that depends on the person. To me, as someone that has a hard time to see details sometimes, they both are way too close in this video (and this is a issue, the minimum rF2 graphics should be is something like RR) what makes me prefer AMS visual more due to the colors or light, whatever it's called :D except for the tires, they are strange in AMS

9. Minibull

Minibull Member

Yeah as always with a comparison video...seems like noone ever puts any kind of decent cloud for the session, or try to match the sun angles. Our eyes always seem to get attracted to something with greater contrast, or something that looks dramatic. If you've ever gone TV shopping and seen the display models...XD

The old rF1 based games all seemed to have baked in clouds, and people rarely set any clouds in rF2, kinda loses some depth I find. Just a blank blue section of the screen.
    Not to mention, that car in rF2 is not really up to snuff. I see no reflections on it's nose area...and look at it in AMS, those gloves look terrible

10. peterchen

peterchen Registered

+1

11. Magzire

Magzire Registered

Where is that file located?

12. Korva7

Korva7 Registered

In "rFactor2\UserData\player" folder

13. TIG_green

TIG_green Registered

It's also in control settings since some builds ago. For T500RS 2% is pretty good and for g27 probably 6-8%(?)

14. Lazza

Lazza Registered

I think you're referring to the FFB Minimum Torque (or STM).

15. lagg

lagg Registered

Yes, i think so too.
    It's better to change a conntroller saved in the controller folder instead of changing tje controller.json itself, to ensure you have the config saved. Because if you load any controller in the rF2 you'll loose your changes.

Enviado desde mi HUAWEI GRA-L09 mediante Tapatalk

16. Magzire

Magzire Registered

Thanks, I just can't find a nice setting for my CPWv2. This might do the trick. It feels light and floppy in the middle but if i hit a curb the wheel explodes. How can turning feel weak but curbs x10 more forces. Not liking that to be honest. But when my new motherboard arrives will test STS.

17. Minibull

Minibull Member

On the face of it, one is a lower level force being fed into the wheel, the other is a sharp jolt into the tyres and steering system.
    I think there are ways of changing your overall feel though. I usually let kerbs clip the ffb, to push up the forces I actually want to feel.

18. Emery

Emery Registered

And I go the other route, so kerbs rarely clip because my CSWv2 makes bad noises if they do, and use STS to boost low level forces. It's a very personal thing, so one size does not fit all(*).

(*)With the exception that normal driving should never, ever create clipping. If that happens, turn down car specific ffb.

19. Minibull

Minibull Member

Yeah, I give my g25 arsehole haha, still strong as after what must be 11 years or more.

Of course, no clipping with normal forces, but I ignore jolts and rumble strips, etc

20. lagg

lagg Registered

For me, this is the clue to have a god FFB.
    Tested in G27, T500 and OSW.

Enviado desde mi HUAWEI GRA-L09 mediante Tapatalk