New GPU

Discussion in 'Hardware Building/Buying/Usage Advice' started by killdrums, Jan 23, 2011.

1. killdrums

killdrums Registered

Hey All!
    I just wanted some input on if I should buy a new vid card or update my whole system.Im running a amd sempron 3100+ 1.5g ram geforce 9800 gt oc.I get good fps on certain tracks...others not so good.As far as the game running it loads and runs fine.Just wondering if I upgraded my card to like a newer ati one if it would get better fps. Thanks! Mark(Killdrums)

2. mianiak

mianiak Registered

ATM your cpu would be choking your gfx card, You really need a high end dualcore or a quad core to get the most out of a 9800gt, you will probably find that your current card is only working at about 1/4 of it's potential. Getting a new gfx card won't necessarily do anything accept make the cpu work even harder.
    Your best bet would be to upgrade the system, but that means new motherboard, new cpu, new ram and new psu. But there is no point in upgrading your gfx card with that cpu.

3. CordellCahill

CordellCahill Registered

I'm running 3 screens off of a 250gts with no FPS problems anywhere. An expensive card isn't needed to run rFactor in all it's glory.

4. killdrums

killdrums Registered

Ok I figured as much...I have a emachines w3115(i know) would I have to buy a case?I already got a new PS for it...Just wondering if I buy a gaming PC for 1600.00 if i will really need all that?(i7 950, 6gigs,ati 2 gig gpu)I would like to run 3 screens in my obutto eventually...but i stick with the 32in LCD for now..I just need to be able to race with a 40 car grid with all the eye candy on!!!Any suggestions other than posted I would appreciate!Mark

5. mianiak

mianiak Registered

The new power supply would be for the 4pin cpu power plug. Older psu's don't have that plug.

Case, depends, if new stuff will fit then the case you have will do. Some newer graphics cards wont fit into small cases, but nothing an angle grinder can't fix :D But a new good case you can get for ~$50aud (dunno the prices in usd)

$1600 for an i7, 6gig of ram, ati(what model number?) I presume that comes with a decent sized SATA hard drive and a SATA dvd burner, at minimum get win7 64 pro for an operating system. If that comes with a monitor then grab it. sounds like a good deal.

[ED] re case, newer graphics cards get real hot, you need good ventilation. You might have to cut some holes around where the cpu and gpu fans take air from.

6. killdrums

killdrums Registered

7. CordellCahill

CordellCahill Registered

For 1600 you could build the computer, get those 3 monitors, and still have all the eye candy on.

8. killdrums

killdrums Registered

Any suggestions on parts are welcome:)

9. CordellCahill

CordellCahill Registered

A quick trip to newegg. You may be able to find better prices

Motherboard http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128443 $109
    CPU http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103858 $200
    Memory http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231277 $50
    Hard Drive http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136514 $100
    Video Card 1 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130538&cm_re=250_gts-_-14-130-538-_-Product $114, $75 after mail in rebate it says
    Video Card 2 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814500118 $25

I think that's everything, assuming you dont need another keyboard, mouse, and OS. Or the PSU and case you mentioned. It comes out to $600...you now have $1000 left over to find 3 monitors :) or extra change for better parts.

This is basically the system I have. I have a better motherboard and I'm OC'd to 4ghz though. I rarely see FPS below 45 with all the eye candy on. With the extra cash it'd be easy to swap out video card 1 with something in the $200 range and be always pegged at 60FPS with VSYNC on.

10. killdrums

killdrums Registered

Thanks CordellCahill!Me being kinda new to the PC gaming harware Lots of ?'s....Why the 2 vid cards?And I was looking at getting the 2gig ati card(one that just came out)yes i would need an OS so add another 100 bucks but thats beat 1600 by far.(i also know a guy to build it if its to complicated for me as I never did a build.I would probably go with a new case and PS.Another? is AMD better for rFactor?I was told an i7 is waaaay more than I need.I also heard AMD is better for gaming...true/false? Thanks for the help!!!!!

11. CordellCahill

CordellCahill Registered

Yeh the i7 is more then you need. I don't want to get into a Intel vs AMD battle here...or a Nvidia vs ATI one either. But for the money I have to say the AMD is the better deal.

I use softth, which is free and allows 3 screens through software. So you need 1 primary card(the stronger one) and 1 cheap slave card(just to add the 3rd and\or 4th monitor connection). I found it to be a much cheaper alternative then buying a eyefinity card. All I play is rFactor so I don't need anything stronger. If rFactor2 needs more graphics power I'll just swap out the primary video card for something in the $200 range. I know someone running 3 screens off a 450gts, so I may see how their performance is with rFactor2 and decide from there.

Cool music btw. I'm more a hip hop guy myself, but I never get tired of the ladies dancing :)

12. CordellCahill

CordellCahill Registered

OS, case, and PSU is about another $300. 23' montiors can be had for $180 each. That's a total of $1440.

Building a PC isn't hard, though I'd have the friend on hand to answer any questions if they arise.

13. killdrums

killdrums Registered

So couldnt I still use my 9800gt 0c'd??Or is that a lil on the low end?And I've seen that the ati cards can do 3 screens with 1 card.what about the phenom black?I def dont wanna buy stuff that wont run rfactor 2 well.but 900 is better than 1600.i will do the 3 screens in a few months I just got to get on track and help my team!

14. CordellCahill

CordellCahill Registered

Your 9800gt may do the job just fine with 3 screens. I don't think theres much, but I don't know the difference between that and my card, but I'd give it a try with 3 screens. 1 screen and you should be good to go. If anything on the rig I mentioned won't fly with rFactor2 it's probably the graphics card, and that's yet to be seen. That ATi card will do 3 screens by itself, but it requires a display port monitor, which adds to the price.

15. killdrums

killdrums Registered

16. mianiak

mianiak Registered

AMD v's Intel is like GM v's Ford, it's a personal preference, they both do the job.

Normally, I'd say build it yourself but that gaming pc is really good value, the water cooling is a bonus, the video card I'd go the 6970 and if possible upgrade to win7 64 pro.

The worst component is the motherboard, I'd prefer gigabyte these days, asus have slacked off a bit, but that doesn't mean it's bad. Which makes this system worthwhile.

The cost in it is the ssd, water cooling and video card. The ssd, depending on the size, ~$200aud for a 60gig to ~$300aud for a 128g, the video card ~$400-500aud

there is about a grand in that, plus the cpu ~$400aud its almost up to $1600

The aud and the usd are close atm, that would estimate to about $1400usd.
    It will last you for at least 2 years with all new release games and will kick on for about another 3 years till it desperately needs replacing, $1600 for 5 years is good value :)

You will see fps's over 200 90% of the time.
    With 40 ai cars on a track on my system with the best quality graphics settings, I average ~90-140fps. My system is pretty average, amd phenom II quad 965 be and an nvidia gtx260.

[ed] one more thing, please don't overclock. you void your warranty and unless your a IT pro, you will probably damage something, leave it as it is, pc parts and performance are cheap enough these days to not have to worry about overclocking.

17. CordellCahill

CordellCahill Registered

Yeh, I'm sure that would work. Cept for the video card(s) the one I spec'ed has better components like the 6 core CPU. I'm always weary of pre-built computer companies, never know what kind of crappy memory, psu, and motherboard theyre gonna throw in there to make their bottom line. I couldn't find the actually specs of that system on their page. If you friend will build it for free I'd buy the components seperatly if I were you.

18. killdrums

killdrums Registered

Yeah my friend will help me and everything(hes an old hardware geek)Just have to get him up to snuff on the new stuff.lololol

19. CordellCahill

CordellCahill Registered

A $400-500 video card is way overkill if all you play is rFactor.

20. killdrums

killdrums Registered

Thats all I'll be playin on PC is rFactor.