New Corvette and 370z "NOOBED"

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Kelju_K, Aug 25, 2014.

1. Kelju_K

Kelju_K Registered

I noticed that the corvette and 370 are "nerfed" a in relation to the "snappynes" of them. It seems that the roll center is lowered to achieve this, because the car doesn't roll allmost at all anymore in the corner.

As all real racing drivers know, the right moment to open the throttle in corner is when the weight starts to move back towards the roll center. Do it a bit too early or late you SHOULD BE punished for it. Now it is very hard or even impossible to get the feedback of the car rolling to know exactly when to open the throttle, and also it doesn't punish you allmost at all if you dont time it right. And because of it the forcefeedback is much lighter due the loss of weight transfer feedback. Now you only feel the tires. Also this lowered rollcenter makes the car unrealisticly understeery when on brakes.

And you CAN'T MAKE IT ROLL(!) even when takin antirollbars completely off, and raising the ride height to ridiculously high. It drives like a kart now. Which makes me to believe that people behind this are (ex?) kart drivers without any experience of GT cars?

Alltough this new less snappy behaviour is happily accepted in community since they are bit easier to drive now, but it's a huge step away from realism.

Before you start to argue without better knowlidge, first answer this: why does Skippy, a light openwheeler rolls more than heavy GT car in corners??? This is even clearly visible in replays now.

Is this really where we are going with this sim now? Make it easy for everybody because nobody is willing to commit and dedicate them selves to study intensively the art of racing? Makes me so sad I'm thinkin of stopping simracing alltogether. Where is Niels Heusinkveld when we need him...

EDIT: check my latest post #24

Kel

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 25, 2014
  2. Adrian

Adrian Registered

Just a small correction, lowering the roll center would increase the roll couple and make the car roll more. By extension raising the ride height will raise the roll center and reduce the roll couple making the car roll less. It would be interesting to see a motec log of damper position to see if there is a problem with the car rolling :)

3. Miro

Miro Registered

Agree. IMO the cars have lost their "rF2'ness", all this things that made the rF2 cars speciall. All the fidelity out of the window. They have kept you on your toes before the update, now it's just throttle brake steer throttle brake steer.......... All these fine inputs which were so rewarding at the limit and allowed you to play with the car through out the corners ( throttle corrections and tabing the brake almost at the same time just as needed whilst also making small steering corrections) are just gonne IMO. The Vette was my favourite car and now it's just ....meh. Sorry, just the way I see it.

This Heuskinveld thing I am not sure about tho lol.

4. Jamie Shorting

Jamie Shorting Registered

I don't have that impression at all with the Camaro and GT-R. The vette was always off imo because of the setup exploits. The more I drove the vette the less I liked it, before and after the update.

5. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

I have absolutely no idea what you're on about here mate...

The Vette is better than ever, and NO it's not at all easier to drive; or "NOOBED" as you so maturely call it.
    Quite the opposite I feel, it's way more rewarding to race now. Its challenges are just a bit different now, with more low speed traction.
    Doesn't mean it isn't challenging.

But yeah, quit sim racing because of something you have clearly misunderstood.
    Seems like an appropriate response. :rolleyes:

Oh and tell Niels he can stay away from rF2 please. :)

6. Jamie Shorting

I can't diagnose a problem from motec but the suspension does move as a layman would expect through the corners according to my motec data. :p

7. Kelju_K

Kelju_K Registered

Could be that i was using the wrong terminology, ups ;) sry about that my technical english suck :D. so lets put it this way then: the longitudinal weight center/height? there is prob correct term for that which i dont know about in english. Anyway you should be able to get my point from my post..?

8. Miro

Miro Registered

Those two are not that extrem I had the impression but have not driven them a lot TBH. But still I prefered them all before, the tires could have been a bit more forgiving and progresive when cold but when on temps the cars were great. I just don't like them anymore and this sucks cuz I preffer GT cars.

9. batito

batito Registered

agree

10. Kelju_K

Kelju_K Registered

GTR is still rolling in the corners, true. was talkin about the vette and 370z. The camaro... not sure about it yet. have to test it more.

11. Kelju_K

Kelju_K Registered

no one has yet to answer that why is Skippy (don't you dare do the same to that car, it's perfect) rolls more in the corners. it should be the opposite..

and about niels.. he's (street) vette was the best street car in rf1 and the teamplayers c6r was the best gt car in rf1, physics wise.
    also he's technical knowlidge is something to be envious about.

12. Jamie Shorting

The biggest difference I've noticed from before to now is how the tire reacted at a certain temp. Before, once the tire got to 120-130C the temps skyrocketed out of control if still pushed. Now at those temps the tire obviously loses grip but it's not as dramatic. I drove the GT-R quite a lot before and it was always a car you could throw around and drive the absolute crap out of it. IMO the biggest difference in the GT-R are the brakes.

If the GT-R, before or after, was in any other sim it would be the "greatest sim racing car evar". Such a shame it's so under rated.

13. Jamie Shorting

Yeah I can't wrap my head around the 370Z. That car was definitely better before.

14. Kelju_K

Kelju_K Registered

Those temps are max for gt racing tires anyway. If pushed more they should behave like that afaik.

15. Jamie Shorting

Ah o.k. Well, there you go then. :p

16. Adrian

Adrian Registered

Don't know if this is helpful but I've just been looking at the .PM files and the 1.47 rear upper control arms are longer than the 1.43 ones which would mean less camber gain right? that could be something to do with the extra "stability" Also the tie rods have moved backwards a bit but are still in front of the control arms, which is weird as the real car has them attached to the rear of the front hub and I thought that GT4 rules didn't allow suspension pickup point movement?

17. Kelju_K

Kelju_K Registered

I see what you mean about the roll center now. One thing i dont get from your post tough. you say raising the ride height would make the car roll less?? really? That sounds very counter intuitive imo. care to explain why? shouldn't raised center of mass (could be wrong term again) make it roll more?

18. Adrian

Adrian Registered

The car rolls around the roll center and the force is applied at the center of gravity(COG), the distance between the two is called the roll couple, this acts like a torque arm so the longer the roll couple the greater the leverage the force at the COG has to roll the car. That's why over lowered boy racer cars need such stiff springs to control their body roll because their roll centers are below the ground and they have massive roll couples. :)

19. Kelju_K

Kelju_K Registered

ah i get it now. thats why too low cars behave more snappy in weight trasfer. right?

So is the roll center raised with the update then?

Edit. never mind got it

20. Kelju_K

Kelju_K Registered

Do you think this little roll is realistic? watching gt races in tv shows they do roll quite a bit..