New clouds and sky

Discussion in 'Wish Lists' started by trollray, Nov 11, 2020.

Tags:
  1. trollray

trollray Registered

Hello studio397 and all of you guys.
    With all the good graphical updates that are coming in rfactor2 i think that sky is something to look at.
    Especially the clouds.
    Thanks
    Cheers.

2. jepeto

jepeto Registered

3. Delzimar

Delzimar Registered

I agree

4. dazzer

dazzer Registered

5. shushkata

shushkata Registered

6. AlexHeuskat

AlexHeuskat Registered

rfactor 1 had a better sky, I'm pretty sure it's not hard to implement good clouds, they need to hire the good persons, cause the graphics are beauty but lacks of good sparks, dust and sky

7. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

I believe rF2 HAD very similar clouds originally. However when they made the move to DX11 and spent a summer improving framerates, I think the skies got stripped down to almost nothing. I almost always choose overcast skies just to see some clouds. Although, I will admit, I much prefer the fps vs pretty clouds.

8. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Na, rF2 never had those clouds. rF2 had a good step a couple of years ago, there's a long way to go which shows how bad they were :p but they have improved a bit.

rF1 clouds are a picture. rF2 clouds are live. rF2 clouds could certainly look better, but you can't compare them directly.

dazzer, atomed and svictor like this.
  9. Grey

Grey Registered

We gave up the sky for a new ui

10. hitm4k3r

hitm4k3r Registered

The problem with the clouds in rF2 isn't that they look bad. With good weather it's actually pretty common to spot cloud formations as seen in rF2. What makes it look very wierd is that Stratus clouds aren't really an indicator of overcast or rainy weather. Cumulus clouds as seen in iRacing for example would work much better with the overcast and weather system. Yes, you can get overcast with Stratus clouds in RL, but will it rain? Most likely not. I mean, I am not expecting a weather system like in Madness engine wich is still second to none from any weather system I have seen so far in the gaming world, but there is certainly room for improvement. Might not be the easiest thing but once they start working on the ambient stuff and particle system, this might be something to look at.

atomed likes this.
  11. Rastas

Rastas Registered

Old good rFactor 1,bring back full modding suport :D GRAB_308.JPG

Risto Kappet and Hazi like this.
  12. hitm4k3r

hitm4k3r Registered

Well looks all nice and dandy, but I rather have the dynamic sky with not allways dramatic looking clouds than the simple texture based skies that we had a decade ago. We shouldn't move a step back but go forward from where we allready are.

Rastas likes this.
  13. Rastas

Rastas Registered

Yes,im just saying to devs need to give more freedom to us,right now everything is locked,not even able to change some simple textures like the tires smoke and dirt,only able to do in devmod,and even that sometimes gets messy after an update :)

Hazi likes this.
  14. svictor

svictor Registered

Old RF1 type Skybox is still possible in RF2, but instead of using game's Skybox, modder needs to create a skybox model with textures, and have it fully cover the track (a good example is Showroom). The only downside is that dynamic clouds and sun position won't be visible since been blocked (everything else are still correctly illuminated).

Rastas and lagg like this.
  15. Stanis

Stanis Registered

This should be a priority, it's the biggest flaw in the game for me.
    The clouds are almost invisible and the sky is too white

16. boxer

boxer Registered

I wonder if having the cloud images on multiple planes would solve the flat looking clouds.

some times they look ok but under some circumstances they look like they came from a DOS game.