NEW Benchmark comparison between AMD & Nvidia

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by John, May 2, 2014.

1. speed1

speed1 Banned

Only for the correctness and fair comparison. I think a replay is nonsense, there are too many factors may have an influence on the result and only the live performance counts in my opinion.

Here the current results of an R290 with the 14.7 RC3 Beta driver on a rather old base. The result is always similar, no matter how many runs. Grid position last. Min - 45 Max - 79 Avg - 63

2. Marek Lesniak

Marek Lesniak Car Team Staff Member

Only replay can give consistent scores. Live benchmark won't guarantee that by design. We already discussed that :)

@DrR1pper
    680 vs 770 is the same with the same clock. It's the same chip basically.

Will check CPU utilization and let you know here later. GPU utilization is at 98% (I'm using GPU-Z to monitor that stuff).

3. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

+1

I don't disagree and stock 680 clock to 770 clock is 6-7% fps increase in games. However i still had a 6-7% increase over yours when we both had the same core clock because my memory was clocked 23% higher. Mem clock performance increase doesn't scale as linearly as core clock i presume.

Okido. I'm going to do more tests soon...dinner first.

4. speed1

speed1 Banned

I don't agree and I wasn't aware of that people play replays. Did we play replays or are we using the sim in real time. Isn't the logic somewhat off an gives people a distorted impression of the current performance of AMD with rf2. I hardly think that's a good promotion for rf2.

The replay performance isn't the same as the real time performance, just for the record, and you can discuss what you wan't, youre wrong. I'm not intrested in replay performance.

5. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

How is using a replay not the best way to compare card performances? It holds everything constant within the repeatable benchmark. The only reason that would make it bad is if the relative performance ratios between cards in a replay benchmark did not translate to the real time/live gameplay. I don't know of any instances where this has been shown to be true.

The except to this is probably AI causing possible CPU bottlenecking effect. But since we know that the replay benchmark method doesn't cause this (well, at least when i use "max pre-render frames = 1) it shouldn't be an issue at all.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  6. speed1

speed1 Banned

It is true. The performance of the replay isn't the same as in real time, and what am i doing with the simulation, driving in real time or just playing around with replays ? It is nonsense to compare replay performance. Just the real time performance counts, that is what matters, nothing else.

7. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

Mate....we all know that. But it's irrelavent for good comparative gpu benchmarking methodology because replay benchmarks are so easily repeatable and the exact rendering scenes are identical with each pass. Live benchmarks are not so easy identically repeatable as well (especially if you add AI into the scene, they take different paths each time and this affects the end result).

I really think you're missing the whole point of these relative performance benchmark comparisons. It's not to see what the actual performance will be when driving live but simply to compare gpu performance between different cards in rf2. If you could compare thes cards in a live state with exactly the same precision as a replay benchmark, you'd find the same performance ratios between cards as you would with the replay benchmark method. But again, you can't get the same precision and hence why we use the replay benchmark method.

8. speed1

speed1 Banned

I can not understand this logic homie because I also do not compare data routines of a car but live performance and those are always different, no matter if the engine or the map is the same.

9. Marek Lesniak

Marek Lesniak Car Team Staff Member

It goes up and down by a lot. During the benchmark, I saw it to be as low as 20% but also a few times it hit 93%.
    I am checking in Task manager, how much CPU % rfactor2.exe takes (have two active displays). There was no a typical value but most of the time utilisation was between 30 and 73%.
    GPU was 98% all the time.
    I am using driver 344.11.

10. realkman666

realkman666 Registered

So you guys are comparing replays then? Were there serious benchmarks done somewhere else, even if outdated?

11. Prodigy

Prodigy Registered

We need a benchmark that is always the same, consistent and repeatable, that's why we use replay system, it's easy. Making two identical live runs is not easy and never same. Ofcourse the replay is not performing the same as live race, but we are not benchmarking how one card can handle difference between replay and live session, we are benchmarking how more cards are performing on same base. Otherwise you can say same thing for the 3Dmark (probably most popular benchmarking software) that it always use the same scene, or why can't we play with those characters during testing scenes. There's are reason why we can't move them..

12. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

There was and it produced the following graph but i can't seem to find the original thread.

[​IMG]

13. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

+1

Better said than i.

14. realkman666

realkman666 Registered

You still end up with data that is useless when you're playing. The quantity of cars and world detail, reflections, etc. is so much higher in replays and jumps around a lot more. I find it ridiculous.

15. realkman666

realkman666 Registered

Holy cow.

16. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

lol

In any case, that benchmark is no good to compare your own results to now because of the much new builds and possibly different gfx effects and performance (not to mention the horrid amd performance at the time). But it's certainly useful as a gauge for nvidia cards.

Absolutely correct but we want to know how the cards perform to relative to one another in rfactor 2 and if it matches what we see in other games as well. For that, using a replay benchmark is the perfect solution.

17. realkman666

realkman666 Registered

Still, that's scary. xD

18. BlaringFiddle5

BlaringFiddle5 Registered

i7 3770
    16 GB RAM
    EVGA Nvidia GTX 680 2GB
    Nvidia GeForce 340.52
    rFactor2: Build 860

Without max rendered-frames = 1 (1080p)
    Frames, Time (ms), Min, Max, Avg
    8301, 153723, 43, 72, 53.1000

with max rendered-frames = 1 (1080p)
    8857, 156906, 45, 75, 56.448

with max rendered-frames = 1 (5760x1080 - no multiview)
    4822, 156843, 22, 44, 30.744

with max rendered-frames = 1 (5760x1080 - multiview)
    3462, 156859, 14, 31, 22.071

Installing 344.11 nvidia drivers and then will test again...

EDIT: Installed 3.44.11

with max rendered-frames = 1 (1080p)
    8878, 156906, 45, 75, 56.582

with max rendered-frames = 1 (5760x1080 - no multiview)
    5097, 168309, 21, 44, 30.284

with max rendered-frames = 1 (5760x1080 - multiview)
    3477, 156921, 13, 39, 22.158

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 26, 2014
  19. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

We need a brand new chart/graph (damn, I always forget the difference, lol) for the new build. And on page 1 we need a note saying that as of post # xx, results are for rF2 build xxx. Either that or a new thread should be started because we cannot be comparing to old rF2 builds too much data being crossed and causing too much speculation and uncertainty.

20. John

John Registered

LOL. Really? Go to the first post of this thread, look at the first line of the first post. See a link and click on it.

Sorry, just had a chuckle there.

I would love someone to make a chart using the results in this thread.