Neutral handling with low drag set up not producing good lap time

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by cyrusyn, Jun 20, 2018.

1. ceecee

ceecee Registered

We run a F1 2018 mod and like last year I struggle to get the rears warm.
    Judging by what I read here, an idea is to harden the front dampers/soften the rear dampers in order to force more heat to the rear ?
    My setup for Hungaroring 2017 is ok, rear is a bit loose but drivable and car turns in well with okay front tyre wear.
    Tyre pressure is already on the minimum allowed (according to regulations).
    Camber has been checked in Motec.
    If I try the above damper adjustments, would I lose the rear more but just as important, should the rear temps increase ?
    Any suggestions to the contrary or better advice for someone who is pretty much a beginner in the dark arts of setups (still after some years :))?

Last edited: Jul 18, 2018
  2. David O'Reilly

David O'Reilly Registered

Softening the rear slow bump dampers will add rear grip create understeer and lower rear temps.
    If you want it (that end) to slide more you make it stiffer.
    Higher tyre pressures will also make it slide / heat more (depending on tyre model).
    Also having diff lock on power side and preload as low as possible will help the rears to heat.
    As will no TCS, and less rear aero.
    Conversely, Lower rear ride height will usually add rear grip and create understeer in a formula car (diffuser).

Having said all of this I am not convinced that getting heat into the rear tyres is your performance answer. The more grip, the cooler the tyres will be for a given lap time. My approach (in very rough summary) is to add grip to one end then add it to the other till you get a good balance, repeat until you have an end to which you cant add grip; eg the fronts are getting too soft and too slow to react or the rear grip is so great that you have understeer. Once you have a good grip balance you can push hard and get heat in both ends.
    In RF2 have the tyre temp HUD open, the end that is overheating is sliding, make it grip more.

ceecee and David Kolody like this.
  3. ceecee

ceecee Registered

Thanks for the comprehensive reply @davidporeilly !
    Will do some more homework now with your data ;)

4. David O'Reilly

David O'Reilly Registered

Last edited: Jul 21, 2018
    ceecee likes this.