Need some skinning tips

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by djvicious, Sep 13, 2012.

1. djvicious

djvicious Registered

Hi everyone. I first want to thank everyone who lent their assistance in a previous thread I created over getting skins in the game. After a small hassle exacerbated by frustration, everything went successfully.

My current question regards the colour quality of my skins. My RGB skins are bright and vibrant when I produce it in photoshop and save it down to a DDS. In the game however, the bright colours I'm going for are washed out -in the showroom and in-game. They are bland and desaturated. I also noticed a similar issue in making skins for rF1.

What DDS settings should I be using to preserve the car's colour quality?

2. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

When creating skins you really only have 2 options. Option 1) Save body as dxt1 Option 2) Save windows as dxt5
    I know that in some programs the nVidia plugin looks a little different but those are the basic settings and just leave everything at default.

As to why you are getting washed out colors, could it be that your monitor isn't calibrated correctly for color and when you load the game it shows a more accurate representation of the colors you use?
    If you would like, you can pm me and I will give my email to have a look at your psd files and see if I notice anything about them.

3. Fabio Pittol

Fabio Pittol Registered

Could you show us an example?

Actually as the car bodies have an Alpha channel for specular, you should save them as DXT5 too. DXT1 only support 1-bit alpha (full black and/or full white)

1 person likes this.
  4. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

Thanks for that info Fabio, didn't realize that rF2 used dds files that way. Great to know for future reference. I did a test with 2 templates saved, 1 dxt1 and 1 dxt5 and I can see where the difference lies.

5. 4L0M

4L0M Registered

I saved my skins in DXT5 too, they work fine.

6. pay2021

pay2021 Registered

Strange, i get my skins oversaturated even when i de-desaturated them in photoshop. :confused:

7. GTrFreak

GTrFreak Registered

I think the alpha layer is the bad guy. Did some minor skinning myself and when I brightened the alpha, the colors were more pronounced also.

8. Dany Mitchel

Dany Mitchel Registered

You need to use DTX5 inter Alpha 8
    then you get a more milky look to the colour like glass effect