Need help with extreme stuttering +80fps

Discussion in 'Technical Archives' started by ViSo, May 13, 2013.

1. ViSo

ViSo Registered

Hi, first I will explain some details:
    I can play with frames locked at 120, nicely and smooth, I play with mid settings, with a i7-3770k + HD5870, its a joke I know, mid settings is for mid-range cards, and I have a high-end rig, but it is AMD, no more words needed.

The problem, starts when I try to record gameplays, I tryed 1080p and 720p (no mater, same fps) and every thing I can set in Dxtory.
    With Dxtory I can record gameplays in BF3 with practically no fps drops, (range: 10-0fps drops.) no the same in rF2.
    in rFactor2 my fps drops drastically, I tryed Action PlayClaw3, Afterburner ... they all worse, with highest fps drops.

And not just that high fps drop, having 80fps will be teorically sufficient, but dont. I play like having 20fps but having 80fps... what can I do??

2. DerKutscher

DerKutscher Registered

I also have high end PC. Place on 60 FPS on driver and everything super smooth. I also have the problem with 120 FPS

3. ViSo

ViSo Registered

I locked the frames to 60, and still having the problem.
    Playing at 60fps seems to be super smooth, but if I try to record, then start stuttering too much. No matter if I record to 30/60fps or 720p/1080p. However 720p@30fps is a bit better.

But still, playing at the same 60fps while recording, its like playing 20fps.

4. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

I'd suggest posting this on a video capture forum.

5. ViSo

ViSo Registered

If the problem is capturing ... yes, it can be ....
    But, if I can capture all games with any lag / frame drop, and rF2 makes high frame drop and high stuttering .... I think the rFactor2 is the right forum.
    I saw that the rFactor2 dont use all my i7-3770k hability, no matter if HT is on/off. The CPU is never bussy, is always low-load while playing, thats the problem.

6. Robert Gödicke

Robert Gödicke Registered

You can't compare different games / game engines or expect them to behave the same under certain circumstances.

My rig was top notch 4 years ago, and it's still performing pretty ok today. I can record Battlefield 3 at 50fps (and I mean 50fps as the framerate for the video!) with my trusty Core i7 920. Battlefield 3 is a lot heavier on the GPU, rFactor 2 with all the dynamic bling bling and physics calculations is a lot heavier on the CPU.

In other words, my 4 years old GPU is the bottleneck when playing Battlefield 3. In rFactor 2, it's the CPU (FPS impact isn't as high when switching from lowest to maximum settings in comparison to newer systems than mine).

To sum it up: rFactor 2 stresses your CPU a lot more than other games. Video capture software puts (a lot) stress exclusively on your CPU (at least the ones I know of). While the GPU could do more frames than it does when you're recording, the CPU can't keep up with preparing objects etc. Result = Stuttering. A slow harddrive can cause this as well.

And yes, rFactor 2 isn't optimized yet. A 4GHz i7 should do great even when recording. We'll just have to wait and see if the engine will get further, more noticeable optimizations in the near future.