Need help to change the power and weight of a car

Discussion in 'Car Modding' started by Jools360, Nov 18, 2016.

1. Jools360

Jools360 Registered

Hi
    We have a car model that we use for testing our products here at Racelogic on a simulator running rFactor2, and we need to be able to change the power and weight of the car to run some simulations. We are happy to pay someone to make this modification, this model will just be used in-house for our own internal testing.

my email address is julian@racelogic.co.uk

Thanks
    Julian Thomas
    MD Racelogic Ltd.

2. MikeeCZ

MikeeCZ Registered

depending on how accurate you want the additonal weight, juts change the mass line in HDV file, plus any additional inertia you can estimate using online intertia calculator.. pretty easy stuff, not worth paying for.
    Engine power - again. in the engine file just change the torque values at respective RPM.. done

3. Euskotracks

Euskotracks Registered

If you have some modding knowledge is pretty easy:
    - Extract the vehicle to devmode using Noel's extract tool.
    - In HDV file look for the mass and inertias of the car and change proportionally.
    - In the engine.INI file look for the lines where several values are defined for each rpm range. Scale torque parameter. I think it is the third parameter (it has positive values)
    - If increasing power you might need to increase clutch torque capability which I can't remember the parameter name.
    - repack the component updating mas files with modified files.

i hope it helps...

4. MikeeCZ

MikeeCZ Registered

Also in HDV:

[DRIVELINE]
    ClutchTorque=230 // Maximum torque that can be transferred through clutch
    BaulkTorque=320 // Maximum torque transferred through gears while engaging them

units N m

5. Navigator

Navigator Registered

If you want to change it back and forth, you can make upgrades; setting a few engines and weights.
    This way, you can mix them too; low weight and max power and so on.
    I wanted to give you a pm, but don't know how to do that anymore on this forum.

6. Euskotracks

Euskotracks Registered

In the new forum private messages are replaced by conversations which are basically like a private thread between the two interlocutors.

Goanna likes this.
  7. Navigator

Navigator Registered

Thanks mate, I didn't know it was some kind of pm, thought it was an open conversation.

8. Jools360

Jools360 Registered

Thanks everyone, I followed your advice and made the changes myself and it worked perfectly! One quick question, can the slipstream effect be adjusted in the car model?

9. MikeeCZ

MikeeCZ Registered

BODYAERO section, use skip barder hdv as example because it has most hdv lines explained

10. Euskotracks

Euskotracks Registered

Hi,
    I have been modifying a vehicle multiplying by 3 torques at all rpms in the engine.ini file.

I also multiplied by 3 clutch and baulk torque in the hdv file.

As a result, in the modifed vehicle, the gears do not seem to be working properly. They don't even appear in the garage screen where you can visualize gear settings. Does anybody know what is happening?

11. Navigator

Navigator Registered

Hehe, that is kind of a brutal way to do it ;)
    But it could be that: a) because of that, or b) there is a fault (line) somewhere, the game just doesn't recognise the engine.
    If not recognised, you don't get to see your gear settings......

But if that is the case; the car won't start and sometimes, you don't get to sit in it even.
    You write that the gears don't seem to work properly and that implies that you are able to drive it?
    Than I have to think a bit further.......

12. Euskotracks

Euskotracks Registered

It was finally a typo.
    I inserted a blank line accidentally after the RPM definitions and rF2 didn't like it.

13. lordpantsington

lordpantsington Registered

When I was looking at gears to help give answers in this thread: https://forum.studio-397.com/index....-right-gear-ratios-overall.53750/#post-870110
    I also had instances where gear did not show in the garage. I basically stripped out all special entries in the HDV relating to the gearing/ final drive, and went with the basic approach as show in my last entry. Turns out I had previously commented out the "GearFile= " HDV entry. With no specials and no defined ini, rf2 found nothing. I'd check your spelling for that entry. Check that the ini exists and the file is named correctly. If that is all okay maybe check that you have the proper amount of gears defined in the "ForwardGears= " HDV entry, check all of your "Gear_Setting= " entries in the HDV to make sure they are valid.

14. reisi89

reisi89 Registered

Hi guys, based on the discussion above I tried to adapt the weight and power of the rental karts in the Sim Kart Package. I used "quickbms" to extract the "KS_Rental_2018...rfcmp" package file. There are some "*.mas" files but I can only extract one of them which contains "*.veh" and ".dds" files. If I open the others, it does not show the list of contained files but the "*.mas" file itself and I cannot extract it (see image below). Shouldn't it contain the hdv file? In one of the VEH it says "HDVehicle=Rental\Rental.hdv". Now I have no idea how to proceed :/

upload_2020-11-12_13-13-50.png

15. Lazza

Lazza Registered

You can't extract DLC or other encrypted content. The tool you're using is a hacking tool and shouldn't be used or discussed, and doesn't work as you can see. (The standard MAS tool can do everything you've done)

You'd need to make such changes via upgrades, I think for that you'd need to know the correct exact filenames or something.

The above discussion applies to non-encrypted third party mods, which you can extract fully. It's probably also possible to package an update version which contains only a handful of files necessary for the modifications, but it's not something I've done personally.