My NEW RTX 2070 MBR Error 1 - Danger

Discussion in 'Hardware Building/Buying/Usage Advice' started by M D Gourley, Nov 18, 2018.

1. M D Gourley

M D Gourley Registered

Hello everyone,
    My new RTX 2070 I was really enjoying the performance increase....and everything was going great until I went into the 'Devices and Printers' dialogue box to adjust some settings on my TS XW and noticed a 'Yellow Triangle' against the drive 'C' Hard Drive...looked at the properties to find that there were 2 items that had the 'yellow triangle'...looked at the properties and it said...The drivers for this device are not installed (Code 28)...

Tried 'Scan for Hardware Changes' and next 'Update Driver Software' but this all failed as the 'Device driver software was not successfully installed' or a box saying 'No driver files are required or have been loaded for this device'....yet all is working so far....and this is were I should have stopped.

I removed the RTX 2070 from my PC and reinstalled my trusty old GTX 690, restarted Windows 7 pro 64 bit and no problems show up in the 'Device Manager' all normal...reinstalled the RTX 2070 went into the BIOS (not something a noob like me should do) and set Load Optimised Default settings...restarted Windows 7 Pro 64 bit and it did not get to the Windows Start Up screen as the monitor screen was black with the text ...'MBR Error 1, press any key to boot from floppy'...WTF....restarted Windows again the same 'MBR Error 1' etc...o' crap..restarted again and went into the BIOS and went to the 'Boot' section to find my OS Hard Drive...it was not in there, did not show up in the drop down menu...where did it go!!!
    At this point as I am not a tech person I looked in Google for answers and although I did find a solution it would possibly mean entering the 'Windows Recovery Console' and would in the end result in lost files and Game data and although I could download Games again this would take time and personally I did not want that...enter my back up solution ...a Full Windows Drive C - CLONED back up Hard Drive I did just prior to installing my new RTX 2070...just incase something went wrong....so not wanting to go the Windows Recovery Console route, I just unplugged the effected Hard Drive, plugged in the Cloned one, started up the PC with fingers crossed....YES... it Worked, everything back up and running.
    Had the latest driver 416.94 installed at time of this post.

....so I remember the 2 sayings 'Curiosity kill the Cat' or 'If it ain't broke, don't fix it'...well, I should not have been curious and fiddled with settings...lol....BUT the 'Yellow Triangles' still remain...is this a sign of more sinister things to come....hopefully not

1 RTX 2070 DEVICES and PRINTERS raptor.jpg 2 RTX 2070 DEVICE PROBLEMS CODE 28 No Driver Files.jpg 4 RTX 2070 DEVICE PROBLEMS scan for hardware changes.jpg 4a RTX 2070 DEVICE PROBLEMS Driver not successfully installed.jpg 5 RTX 2070 DEVICE PROBLEMS update DRIVER.jpg 5a RTX 2070 DEVICE PROBLEMS search automatically.jpg 5c RTX 2070 DEVICE PROBLEMS unable to install.jpg

Last edited: Nov 19, 2018
  2. ADSTA

ADSTA Registered

USB drivers for your motherboard might be needed.
    I'm on my phone at work so that's about all I can offer.
    I'm sure someone with more time will help.

Edit, From memory, MBR is master boot record. The small partition on your C drive. If it is corrupt Windows won't boot.

patchedupdemon likes this.
  3. stonec

stonec Registered

It could also be that your new GPU is recognized wrongly as some generic PCI device for whatever reason. Did you update the Nvidia drivers when you first time installed the new card? Just speculating here, but outdated Nvidia drivers combined with a very recently released GPU could cause problems like this.

Louis likes this.
  4. M D Gourley

M D Gourley Registered

Thanks for your reply...Yes I am looking on line for my Motherboard USB Drivers...but are reluctant to try and install as this is what got me into trouble to start with...trying to update settings...lol.

5. M D Gourley

M D Gourley Registered

Thanks for responding...Yes the latest nVidia drivers 416.94 at time of posting this, are installed...but still have the yellow triangles, however all is working correctly and no problems with any of my USB Sim Racing peripherals.
    I had another thought about the MBR as ADSTA mentioned above....I had set up a mechanical Hard Drive with a SSD through the Motherboards SSD Caching Function, the 2070 may have up set the SSD part of the Caching Function as the SSD may have had part of the MBR on it resulting in that Error 1...only guessing though as I am not a tech person...lol

6. JimmyT

JimmyT Registered

Just wondering what motherboard you have. Is it compatible with the RTX2070?

7. stonec

stonec Registered

All motherboards are compatible with all graphics cards using the same connector type (PCI-E).

8. JimmyT

JimmyT Registered

Yes you are correct. My bad

9. JimmyT

JimmyT Registered

10. M D Gourley

M D Gourley Registered

11. M D Gourley

M D Gourley Registered

Had a reply on the nVidia Forums and that person commented the Windows 7 does not support USB Type C (3.1 I assume)...which would explain why I can not install Drivers for the 'Type-C' port on the RTX 2070...no VR for me then...lol...at least until I upgrade to Windows 10

12. patchedupdemon

patchedupdemon Registered

This may or may not be connected to your problem, but I had MBR problems twice at the start of this year, I had to reformat my hdd and reinstall Windows 10 which worked for for a while but it happened again, I read that it could be a problem with my hdd, so I bought a ssd for my os and haven’t had the issue since, touch wood.
    There’s a folder called windows old where a lot of stuff will be stored when you reinstall windows, but it doesn’t save everything.

Also I don’t trust windows to install drivers, so your best to find the latest ones yourself and install them, windows will just install generic outdated ones, atleast from my experience

M D Gourley likes this.
  13. M D Gourley

M D Gourley Registered

Thanks for taking the time to reply...yes my mechanical Hard Drive has seen me through quite a few years now, will have to save for that upgrade to an SSD...also you are correct as I have had bad experiences with Windows installing the old Drivers and also 'Rolling Back the OS' as well.

14. tyressin

tyressin Registered

The most likely explanations is that you lost the right booting order after you reset BIOS settings. Make sure its correct and that the booting drive is first in the BIOS.
    As for the driverless things; switch to the Details tab (it's right to the Driver tab in the Properties menu in the Device Manager you just took screenshots) on each of those yellow triangles devices you have and do a web search for each of those Hardware ID's. Then you look for and install their drivers.
    Just to be sure, download some tool that reads SMART data for your storage drives to check their health.

15. M D Gourley

M D Gourley Registered

Thanks for you response with great information...will get onto that.:D...also had a reply on the nVidia Forums and that person commented the Windows 7 does not support USB Type C (3.1 I assume)...which would explain why there is the yellow triangle on the USB Controller and I can not install Drivers for the 'Type-C' port on the RTX 2070...no VR for me then...lol...at least until I upgrade to Windows 10